oneBoro Forum

Boro V Reading 1-0 (Johnson)

Well Dijksteel is improving, and after his first game it is nice to see. I think if the improvement continues we will have a good player. Bola is not improving as fast but again I think will become decent. It would be nice to see Browne playing and improving as well.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quote fro Reading fans' website: I'd also like to make a shout out to Middlesbrough as a much better than expected away day. Its consistently voted the worst place to live in the UK, but it's a n

Match-day Thread - Middlesbrough V's Reading   View from the other side: Match day Thread not open yet but the Prediction Page for this game is active - https://hobnob.royals.org/

Here's the banner that received the first half applause btw.

Posted Images

Totally forgettable 1st half awful, 2nd half bit more care and attention picking the right pass in attacking positions and we could have had this game wrapped up well before Randolph was having to make superb saves to preserve our lead, Clayton, McNair, Fry and Randolph were our stand out  players for me. 

12 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I tried looking back through the thread and didn't really find anything other than he made a couple of decent tackles and I'm not really sure I remember them? What is it about his performance people thought was good? I mean, I've pointed out where I think he looked poor, I remember those moments pretty clearly. As I said, positionally he was all over the place. In the first half, Reading were on top of him all the time and he couldn't find a forward pass to save his life. He never made the pitch wider, he narrowed it on the right side if anything and it absolutely wasn't working.

One of those instances were it feels we're watching different games haha. 

He made some exceptional interceptions all throughout the game I felt. He wasn't afraid to take his man on, but he was also available for the simple pass when they needed to relieve some pressure. I don't even agree that Reading were all over him in the first half, I don't think they were any more over him than they were any of our other defenders in that first half.

I felt like that was by far his best game in a Boro shirt. 

9 minutes ago, Brunners said:

One of those instances were it feels we're watching different games haha. 

He made some exceptional interceptions all throughout the game I felt. He wasn't afraid to take his man on, but he was also available for the simple pass when they needed to relieve some pressure. I don't even agree that Reading were all over him in the first half, I don't think they were any more over him than they were any of our other defenders in that first half.

I felt like that was by far his best game in a Boro shirt. 

I guess so! I'd still class Bristol City as the best performance I've seen from him but it's still primarily best of a few mediocre games.

Not to say I'm writing him or Bola off of course, it's early days yet for both of them and there's plenty of time for them to improve right now.

Just back from the match and really enjoyed it today. Not always the best to watch but we did have some very slick attacking moves and could’ve had a couple in the first 4 mins. Thought McNair bossed the match again and really does set the tone for us - he’s quick, he presses, he gets forward but is also strong defensively. Another stand out match. 

I really like Bola and thought he had a couple of good attacking moves, just seems to lack a little confidence but he links up well and can (and does) beat his man. Djiksteel is strange in terms of his positioning. Likes to move inside and so leaves massive gaps at the back. But did make some good challenges and linked up well with McNair and Johnson in one of our best moves of the first half. Shotton didn’t put a foot wrong, Clayton and Fry also good.

I’d say Wing still looks a little behind where he was last season, Fletcher had a quiet game and the bench is very weak, but otherwise I was impressed and really enjoyed it.

I was chuffed that Woodgate got a full chant from all sides of the stadium and the atmosphere for the last 5-10 mins was excellent. UTB! 

I think Wing does still look worse than games last season for sure, but I thought today was his best game in a while - played some really nice balls today, had some good driving runs, a few good corner deliveries.

First 15 was pretty good, went ragged from there. Reading were just like every other team that we've seen.. long ball over the fullback into the corner and the big lad chases it.

Second half was a bit of a slugfest. Draw might've been fair, but the amount of times we haven't got what we've deserved this season you'll take the W move on.

Feels good that the club is coming back together.

Not had much time to watch or listen to football because I’ve been entertaining  family. Just seen the stats which don’t read well but the score line does and that’s all that counts. I’ll read through the posting sometime tomorrow and my hope is to know we are entertaining and progressing. 

Well, well Norwich who would have predicted that win. Honestly they are miles advanced than we are and I’m jealous. 

22 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Not had much time to watch or listen to football because I’ve been entertaining  family. Just seen the stats which don’t read well but the score line does and that’s all that counts. I’ll read through the posting sometime tomorrow and my hope is to know we are entertaining and progressing. 

Well, well Norwich who would have predicted that win. Honestly they are miles advanced than we are and I’m jealous. 

cant you see the comparisons between boro and norwich 3 of thier back four are under 23 bola dijksteel fry are like lewis aarons godfrey its a shame we dont have a buendia 

Enjoyed the game....we are showing signs of more cohesion and the "new guys" are beginning to give glimpses of their talents....not a dominant performance but at least matched them for bulk of game......unlucky with the "offside" goal but apart from that thought the officials did well for a change.....though they also seemed to miss the Reading managers forearm jerk after his booking............would have settled for this score before game, so happy with the points and hope the run continues

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I tried looking back through the thread and didn't really find anything other than he made a couple of decent tackles and I'm not really sure I remember them? What is it about his performance people thought was good? I mean, I've pointed out where I think he looked poor, I remember those moments pretty clearly. As I said, positionally he was all over the place. In the first half, Reading were on top of him all the time and he couldn't find a forward pass to save his life. He never made the pitch wider, he narrowed it on the right side if anything and it absolutely wasn't working.

He got beaten once 1v1 against a talented physical winger in a whole game. Other than that he had Boye in his back pocket, to the point Boye got so frustrated he lashed out at one of our players. He also went forward well and played a big part in some of our best chances.

If a fullback overwhelming wins his 1v1 battle and also contributes going the other way then I think it’s impossible to say he had a bad game.