oneBoro Forum

Boro v Cardiff City A 0-1

The Boro are unbeaten in the last 4 games & on the back of a 1-0 win at home to Reading travel to South Wales to take on recently relegated Cardiff City who sit below the Boro in the championship table on goal difference, there record is the same as the Boro’s so far, played 7, won 2, drew 3, lost 2

One of the bookies favourites to return to the PL Cardiff have found it anything but easy, they’ve had a busy summer in the transfer market bringing in up to 10 players, including our very own Aden Flint a big money transfer

Cardiff are without a win in the last 3 games after starting the season with 2 wins & a draw from their opening 3 home fixtures, this will be another testing time for team 

But its about the Boro, how Jonathan Woodgate sets us up, formation we play too, Luton & Bristol City away we played fast attacking football though & IMHO, a win was what we deserved, a draw is what we got in both games

Will Woodgate to stick with the team that started against Reading? 

Will Woodgate keep with Shotton, or bring in Ayala to partner Dael Fry?

Another game for both Dijksteel & Bola to build their confidence

Paddy McNair continues to improve in his new role, along with Johnson & Fletcher,Assombalonga will scare the life out of most Championship defences

Unfortunately Hayden Coulson, who was playing fantastically well then injured is still unavailable, along with Jonny Howson

The 1st fixture away to Cardiff City on the 24th September 1921, Boro losing 3-1

Cardiff City v Boro fixture will be the 31st fixture in South Wales between the 2 teams with the following record:

Won 6

Drew 4

Lost 20

Goals scored - 31

Goals against - 54

Did you know:

May 1965 – Winner takes all final match of the season, winners stay up, losers go down, Boro’s centre half Dickie Rooks scores a hat trick, unfortunately, Cardiff score 5 as we lose the game 5-3 & relegated to the 3rd division

Andy Campbell is a hero in Cardiff, he scored the winning goal against QPR in the playoff final

Stephen Pears Boro’s 1st loaned signing made his loan at home to Cardiff 5th November 83

Never been a goaless draw between both teams in Cardiff

Played for both clubs:

Micky Burns - 61 games for Boro, scoring 24 goals, played 6 for Cardiff scoring zero goals

Alan Foggon - 115 games for Boro, scoring 45 goals, played 17 for Cardiff scoring 1 goal

Jonny Vincent - 40 games for Boro, scoring 7 goals, played 66 for Cardiff scoring 11 goals

George Smith - 74 games for Boro, zero goals, played 45 for Cardiff scoring 1 goal

Andy Crawford - 9 games for Boro, scoring 1 goal, played 6 for Cardiff scoring 1 goal

Ironically Andy Crawfords only Boro goal was against Cardiff in the same game as Pears debut

Andy Campbell - 56 games for Boro, scoring 4 goals, played 73 for Cardiff scoring 12 goals

Graham Kavanagh - 35 games for Boro, scoring 3 goals, played 142 for Cardiff scoring 28 goals

Lee Tomlin - 56 games for Boro, scoring 11 goals, played 16 for Cardiff scoring 1 goal

Joe Bennett - 85 games for Boro, scoring 1 goal, played 99 for Cardiff scoring 4 goals

Andy Dibble - 21 games for Boro, 62 games for the Cardiff

Aden Flint - 39 games for Boro, scoring 1 goal, played 7 for Cardiff scoring 1 goal

• Like 7
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Boro are unbeaten in the last 4 games & on the back of a 1-0 win at home to Reading travel to South Wales to take on recently relegated Cardiff City who sit below the Boro in the championship

Not sure why you think this is so much better than last season? This has been awful, lacking width, creativity and devoid of ideas in the final 3rd. Yes the intent is different but the execution certa

The lack of comments on here after defeat sums up the majority of fans thoughts on a Saturday now. Fans are losing interest and it's down to 1 man .... The messiah Gibson - Just wish fans would a

Posted Images

Will be going to this one as I am a resident of the Welsh capital. Very much looking forward to this and I think we have a real chance of taking all 3 points. Not been overly impressed with Cardiff in the games I've seen them in this season so I'm predicting a 2-1 Boro win with goals from Assombalonga and McNair

• Like 1

I think we have a good chance of getting our first away win. Cardiff are a decent side and any team with Warnock at the helm will be well organised. However the onus is on them to come forward and hopefully that will give us some space to break forward on. We all know the weakness of Flint when the ball is played on the ground so it should be possible for Britt to get around him. It'll be a huge game for out defenders because Cardiff will look to get the ball into the box and rattles us. I think we'll do a smash and grab and win 2-1.

• Like 1

Borodane, totally agree with your comments, Warnock is a very good tactician at this level & yes, with Flint its an area we know how to exploit, hopefully Brit is inform, as mentioned in my OP he'll frighten championship defenders, would love to see McNair get on the scoresheet away from home too 

2 hours ago, Borodane said:

I think we have a good chance of getting our first away win. Cardiff are a decent side and any team with Warnock at the helm will be well organised. However the onus is on them to come forward and hopefully that will give us some space to break forward on. We all know the weakness of Flint when the ball is played on the ground so it should be possible for Britt to get around him. It'll be a huge game for out defenders because Cardiff will look to get the ball into the box and rattles us. I think we'll do a smash and grab and win 2-1.

1 hour ago, Erimus74 said:

Borodane, totally agree with your comments, Warnock is a very good tactician at this level & yes, with Flint its an area we know how to exploit, hopefully Brit is inform, as mentioned in my OP he'll frighten championship defenders, would love to see McNair get on the scoresheet away from home too 

The Cardiff matches I've been to this season have shown that whenever they go forward they are very susceptible to the counter and I hope we exploit this. 

Saying that I hope we have learned from our preseason when it comes to Glatzel.. 

I would be tempted to go 3.4.3 with this one so to give us a better chance of coming with Cardiffs main strength - set pieces and long balls but at same time give us enough going forward to cause them problems.

Randolph

Shotton Ayala Fry

Dijksteel Paddy Clayton Bola

Marv Britt Fletch.

Would take Wing out and bring Ayala in for this one as my only change from Reading.

2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I would be tempted to go 3.4.3 with this one so to give us a better chance of coming with Cardiffs main strength - set pieces and long balls but at same time give us enough going forward to cause them problems.

Randolph

Shotton Ayala Fry

Dijksteel Paddy Clayton Bola

Marv Britt Fletch.

Would take Wing out and bring Ayala in for this one as my only change from Reading.

IF we go three at the back do we then also need Clayton? I get that he has played well lately and probably doesn't deserve to be dropped, but you'd think that with 5 defenders it would be better with a more forward thinking midfielder like Wing or Saville for that matter. Keeping the ball on the floor against Flint should be a priority so we need to move the ball forward on the ground.

On the ex player front we should add Paul Sugrue , currently living at her majestys pleasure! Remember last time I went to a Cardiff game he was running a pub near the ground and got talking to him about his time with us. Always liked him as a decent player in a pretty rubbish team at the time. 

As for this match I think that first away win will have to wait as Cardiff are going to be up there this season and a point will be very good. So whilst heart says 2-1 to us , head says 0-0 or 1-1and no doubt Flint getting theirs!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Boro 86 said:

On the ex player front we should add Paul Sugrue , currently living at her majestys pleasure! Remember last time I went to a Cardiff game he was running a pub near the ground and got talking to him about his time with us. Always liked him as a decent player in a pretty rubbish team at the time. 

As for this match I think that first away win will have to wait as Cardiff are going to be up there this season and a point will be very good. So whilst heart says 2-1 to us , head says 0-0 or 1-1and no doubt Flint getting theirs!

Boro 86 spot on , I never thought about PS, I liked him as a Boro player too & yes in a very poor team, he gave his all

He played for Cardiff the season before joining us, he played 5 times for them zero goals 

I am going to the match on Saturday as from Thursday I am on holiday in South West England and I am making a trip to the Welsh capital. I bought my ticket for the game last week. As I live in Italy, do you think I can receive the ticket before my departure? 

I had contacted the ticket dept. last month explaining my worries and they told me to inform them once bought the ticket to ensure that I can collect my ticket at the Cardiff City stadium. I did so, I have actually sent three emails until now (two to the ticket dept and one to the supporter services) but they haven't replied yet. Do you think it is worth a phone call to the ticket office tomorrow?

10 minutes ago, 7 Lakes Boro said:

I am going to the match on Saturday as from Thursday I am on holiday in South West England and I am making a trip to the Welsh capital. I bought my ticket for the game last week. As I live in Italy, do you think I can receive the ticket before my departure? 

I had contacted the ticket dept. last month explaining my worries and they told me to inform them once bought the ticket to ensure that I can collect my ticket at the Cardiff City stadium. I did so, I have actually sent three emails until now (two to the ticket dept and one to the supporter services) but they haven't replied yet. Do you think it is worth a phone call to the ticket office tomorrow?

Yeah I'd give them a ring, they are pretty helpful. 

A few seasons back I picked up my tickets from the Cardiff ticket office (I live here) when I bought my ticket late in the day. 

Received my tickets for this match on the 16th (that is the date they said they'd post them) so got them pretty quickly. 

9 hours ago, 7 Lakes Boro said:

With BearSmog on this a call to their office will put your mind at ease.

Have a terrific time whilst you are here and enjoy yourself. There are a few overseas forum members like you (thinking Borodane and SmogDane) when watching Boro live for the first time at least got a positive result in a way, Palace away win for BD and a home draw against Swansea for SD.