oneBoro Forum

Boro V Sheffield Wednesday 1-4 (McNair)

1 hour ago, Jamie-H said:

He's had the most autonomy on transfer decisions since Mowbray so far, Monk worked within a proven Championship player remit on transfers set by people above him as far as I can tell from his words and actions Woodgate's set his own policy of younger less proven players so he's not just working within a policy he's setting it.

The of course he wants to keep Britt and Randolph thing, keep them for what I'd rather cash out the 20 million in assets they are because long term the future of the club means more than keeping them for a free pass season or two everyone seems happy with if fans want to keep those players to finish 12th with them and see their value decrease over time the manager shouldn't take that view into account especially if he knows how big a rebuild he's planning unless the conceit here is the club or fans believe we'd go up this year which if that were true we're in bigger trouble than I thought.

The points per game stuff I mean I didn't bother bringing up our points or goal tally because no one seems to care anymore so I kind of don't either? The ifs and buts stuff on refs and goals is kinda whatever to me personally there's always that kind of stuff under any manager. My point is right now Woodgate's not only being given a free pass by everyone for the season but also being treated like a child I don't just mean 'criticising' him I mean the way people transmit their 'feeling' that he'll grow into a great coach who'll invent some revolutionary style I just take the view we don't know if he's the messiah but until I see him walking the Tees I'll treat him like any other Middlesbrough FC manager and hold him to decisions he makes because devoiding him of responsibility is not going to help him become a manager we're already as a fan base giving him a free pass giving him scrutiny on decisions he made in the summer or scrutinizing the lack of 'playing style' isn't some novel concept I don't understand why it's controversial if he is coddled all season how on earth will he get better next season the kid gloves treatment really isn't good for him or the club no one made excuses for Mowbray when he had low expectations his defensive leaks were scrutinized and the calls for wingers and new strikers relentless he was given time but also judged by his decisions like any other manager we should judge Woodgate's decisions because from all reporting and his own words they were his decisions and continue to be his decisions.

What about Monk's tenure gives you the belief he was being handled from above any more than Woodgate is?

Why are you basing your opinion that we should judge Woodgate for our recruitment based on an opinion that we should have sold two players barely anybody else we wanted to sell?

Why are you ignoring the criticism Woodgate has been given for the performances and results so far?

And finally, would you be expecting any other manager of his experience to have a set in stone philosophy that has been applied to fruition with players that have spent the vast majority of the past 6 years playing an entirely opposite way?

You seem to want to view every manager the same. I honestly don't understand why. It's not Woodgate's fault that he's inexperienced and the way you're talking about him is exactly the reason the same managers get the same jobs before getting sacked and getting big payouts again and again, that lack of appreciation and time given to inexperienced managers because they're in the same job that someone more experienced could be in enforces the merry-go-round mentality that club heads have and I'd rather we got off that ride right now.

• Like 3
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Again, really? Monk got everyone he wanted for huge prices, he had a blank cheque handed to him. Pulis had the ability to turn down players for not wanting to play at Middlesbrough for the rest of the

I mean I don't agree for a start that Southgate had a better pedigree than Woodgate. He's also been involved outside the playing side of the game longer than Southgate was. Monk had plenty more experi

One step forward, two steps back. Its becoming a familiar pattern with Boro this season. Just when you think we're starting to make progress, we're right back at square one. There wasn't much to cheer

Posted Images

Barring a complete disaster Woodgate gets a free pass from me this season and I wasn't someone who wanted him in the first place.

He clearly had a set way he wanted to play and was quite adamant during early pressers on our need for attack/pacey players and the club have well and truely done one on him and the fans imo. At the moment we are stuck with Fletcher and Marvin Johnson, and while neither have let themselves down, you have one playing out of position and Johnson has to be playing out of his skin every game to even stand as a mediocre championship level player. I said at the end of the transfer window we were massively reliant on Browne hitting the ground running and unfortunately he hasn't at all. 

1 minute ago, Dan1234 said:

Barring a complete disaster Woodgate gets a free pass from me this season and I wasn't someone who wanted him in the first place.

He clearly had a set way he wanted to play and was quite adamant during early pressers on our need for attack/pacey players and the club have well and truely done one on him and the fans imo. At the moment we are stuck with Fletcher and Marvin Johnson, and while neither have let themselves down, you have one playing out of position and Johnson has to be playing out of his skin every game to even stand as a mediocre championship level player. I said at the end of the transfer window we were massively reliant on Browne hitting the ground running and unfortunately he hasn't at all. 

we could try Tavernier wide? He has pace atleast

2 minutes ago, ladyspite said:

we could try Tavernier wide? He has pace atleast

Don't think he does actually, I always think hes more nippy and high energy than pacey. Not really seen him do anyone.

1 hour ago, Dan1234 said:

Solid enough team. The club have really shafted Woodgate with those attacking options though.

Yep. Hasn’t been given a fair chance at all. Anything above 12th will be a bonus.