oneBoro Forum

Boro V Preston North End 1-1 (Fisher OG)

Not sure whether I can call it a good performance, Saturday was so poor that we could've just turned up and passed in squares for 90 minutes and still looked better than anything put out on Saturday. 

Concern still reigns supreme in my mind at the moment still. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Browne has had a good game

Well Teddy's happy that the Boro are being shown on the box but I wonder what his reasons are? Staying up late on a school night for a 6 year old is appealing or simply because he gets the watch

I think after the Blackburn game he has REALLY taken Mowbrays comments to heart about having to play ugly to win sometimes. He even has said himself since (although I can't find the quote right now) t

Posted Images

Deserved all 3 points. Think Browne and Tav need to start games more often. Thought mcnair had a bit of an off game, a couple of times he was put through and completely messed up his footwork or took too long to shoot. Thought Britt’s hold up play was good today too.

7 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I have no idea what Woodgates tactics are. I don’t think we are showing anything particular good to watch and I’d hazard a guess that we are making the same number of long balls as under Pulis. Early season pressing is also completely gone

I thought that game was far better than anything we've seen recently and the second half had some clear shape to it. Yes, granted we're still going long too often from the back but I think that's just something that will phase out slowly. 

He wants to use the width and get balls into the box. Howson split out left to assist Browne/Johnson will McNair was out wide right often (partly cause Tav drifted inside so often). We had some very decent spells in that game. 

I honestly think if we can just open the floodgates one game everything will calm down and goals will start going in. We need to make the right decisions at the critical moments and at the minute we're not doing that.

EDIT: Also to add I feel we saw more of the high press today, but I think we saw his idea of "pressing when the time is right" rather than "pressing literally every second" like against Luton. A bunch of times today we won the ball up high thanks to putting them under pressure.

Also lets not forget this is a good Preston team!

• Like 2

Weird how different football can be seen ... I think it was a good game and we had some nice moves, good counter play, a lot of times where we nicked the ball high up the pitch... Good direct play at times.. 

We just need better descisions in the final third.. And Keane needs to teach some of our players how to shoot..How to place a ball in the goal and not just shoot with power! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SmogDane said:

Weird how different football can be seen ... I think it was a good game and we had some nice moves, good counter play, a lot of times where we nicked the ball high up the pitch... Good direct play at times.. 

We just need better descisions in the final third.. And Keane needs to teach some of our players how to shoot..How to place a ball in the goal and not just shoot with power! 

Completely 100% agree. For me this is one of our better performances this season.

• Like 1

We played alright much more solid than on Saturday with Tav and Browne taking their opportunity which if chances were taken would of resulted in a win. However it's a tad worrying if Barnsley beat Derby at home tomorrow night  we are only 2 points from the relegation zone ? 

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I thought that game was far better than anything we've seen recently and the second half had some clear shape to it. Yes, granted we're still going long too often from the back but I think that's just something that will phase out slowly. 

He wants to use the width and get balls into the box. Howson split out left to assist Browne/Johnson will McNair was out wide right often (partly cause Tav drifted inside so often). We had some very decent spells in that game. 

I honestly think if we can just open the floodgates one game everything will calm down and goals will start going in. We need to make the right decisions at the critical moments and at the minute we're not doing that.

You beat me too it ... Mostly same vews!

• Like 1

After the reports from Saturday I was pleased with what I saw tonight. I like Browne, he is feisty and I like that in a player. We are definitely a better team than what we have been showing so far. I think we will be alright.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I admire your optimism. I really do but I just don’t see as many good things. I think we’ve turned into a bog standard lower mid table championship team with a relatively boring gameplay. 

I’m still glad that Pulis is gone though and I’m not shouting for Woodgates head as I think he was massively shafted by the club in the summer. That said I think we’ve gone a bit backwards since the start of the season and I can’t tell if that’s Woodgate getting scared or if he doesn’t have the tools to do the job. I suppose time will tell but it’s going to be a dogfight. Let’s just hope we don’t flirt with relegation. 

Randolph 6 - Not much to do, not at fault for the goal. 

Dijksteel 7 - Best I've seen him play, bit leggy towards the end. 

Ayala 6 - Always feel like he is going to do something silly. 

Fry 6 - Solid but unspectacular. 

Shotton 6 - Undroppable, but for reasons only Woodgate knows. 

Clayton 6 - Never been blessed with pace but I swear he looks a few yards slower. 

Howson 6 - Nice to see him back in the team. Hope he stays fit. 

McNair 7 - Looking better everytime I see him. One of the first names on the teamsheet for me. 

Browne 6.5 - Looked dangerous when he wasn't being consistently fouled. Will get better with more starts. 

Tavernier 7.5 - He and Browne must start more in the same team. Gave us width and attacking intent that we 100% lacked in the last few matches. 

Assombalonga 6 - I feel like he is not been done any favours by the players behind him. Lacking quality service and confidence. Would have brought Fletcher on sooner. 

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

I admire your optimism. I really do but I just don’t see as many good things. I think we’ve turned into a bog standard lower mid table championship team with a relatively boring gameplay. 

I’m still glad that Pulis is gone though and I’m not shouting for Woodgates head as I think he was massively shafted by the club in the summer. That said I think we’ve gone a bit backwards since the start of the season and I can’t tell if that’s Woodgate getting scared or if he doesn’t have the tools to do the job. I suppose time will tell but it’s going to be a dogfight. Let’s just hope we don’t flirt with relegation. 

I think after the Blackburn game he has REALLY taken Mowbrays comments to heart about having to play ugly to win sometimes. He even has said himself since (although I can't find the quote right now) that he hasn't given up on his style of football but sometimes you have to shelve it while you dig in. I think - I HOPE - we're just in a period where he's trying to sort out certain things and we might go back to the all out attack in future.

you're right though, I am being optimistic. But after 2 years of Pulis, I'll take this all day long, quite honestly.

• Like 3

When Coulson and Friend returns, our defense will be better in that left side... Shotton got caught hanging too often and only Prestons ineffective play saved him.

Ayala is very good at defending set pieces and partly crosses ... But in open play and one on one he is dangerous...