oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham City (A) 1-2 (Ayala)

There’s no more glossing over this with tales of learning and in experience, it’s failed and will never work.

How do I know? Because any rookie manager who succeeds has their team running through walls for them, when karanka first came here the difference in energy levels was night and day, the squad was limited and we struggled at times but the energy, shape and discipline was there. 

Thats the difference between then and now, none of that is evident in what I see. 

We are going DOWN if things don’t change quickly, enough sugar coating.

• Like 2
  • Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was just talk as our first choice was Pulis, not Woodgate, in which case the new style etc wouldn't have happened anyway. Final post before returning to self imposed exile.  We seem to have co

im in the same camp as BD .  ive gone through plenty of bad times in the past as well as wonderful times .  ive seen players ranging from  absolute top quality down to rank bad .  right now what i see

I don't think it's all bad. We just need a few players in the  January window. Two centre backs. Two fullbacks. Two centre midfielders and two wingers. And two forwards. 

Posted Images

After the ‘spying’ scandal back in January, Marcelo Bielsa gave a PowerPoint presentation on how he assesses opposing teams. Quoting a Leeds match against Derby, he said that he had watched all 51 games that Derby had played in the 2018-2019 season and spent an average of 4 hours analyzing every game. That’s 204 hours in all!

Can you honestly see Woody doing that? Or anything even vaguely resembling it? It’s way beyond his level. Which is why Leeds are likely to be promoted this season, and we are likely to be relegated.

This attention to detail is what is needed in the modern game. Karanka could do that, in spite of being accused of ‘micromanagement’. No other manager that we have had this century even comes close.

Our dire performance so far this season should have made it apparent to all just how important a good manager is to a modern football club. We cannot afford amateurs. In terms that Gibson might be able to understand, it’s like putting a major company in the hands of a guy who managed a local branch of KFC. False economy.

OK so this is not going to be a popular post but...... I think everyone needs to look into themselves for the reasons that we are where we are. I was probably his only supporter last season but there are no circumstances that would have us heading for relegation under Tony Pulis this season. Maybe just maybe all the complaints over his style turned Gibson off and made him withdraw his backing from the club. Maybe the whinging fans are the reason for where we are? Think about it with an open mind...... are you responsible for us being where we are at now?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Blanco said:

OK so this is not going to be a popular post but...... I think everyone needs to look into themselves for the reasons that we are where we are. I was probably his only supporter last season but there are no circumstances that would have us heading for relegation under Tony Pulis this season. Maybe just maybe all the complaints over his style turned Gibson off and made him withdraw his backing from the club. Maybe the whinging fans are the reason for where we are? Think about it with an open mind...... are you responsible for us being where we are at now?

No. 

4 hours ago, Blanco said:

No but I agree with you that if Pulis were still here there's no way on earth we'd be as low as we are in the league.

• Like 1

But it shouldn't matter about where we would be with Pulis or how much we as fans have to share the blame. 

Gibson took on Woodgate for his  dream, "philosophy" and style of play. 11 games in and it's not even clear what any of those are. 

"Jonathan Woodgate promised exciting, attacking football and goals" - failed to deliver. 

This is what he should be judged on. And I'm afraid that he is failing to deliver. Big time.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

But it shouldn't matter about where we would be with Pulis or how much we as fans have to share the blame. 

Gibson took on Woodgate for his  dream, "philosophy" and style of play. 11 games in and it's not even clear what any of those are. 

"Jonathan Woodgate promised exciting, attacking football and goals" - failed to deliver. 

This is what he should be judged on. And I'm afraid that he is failing to deliver. Big time.

lmao Gibson took on Woodgate because he was the cheapest option. That's literally it.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Blanco said:

I was waiting for someone to blame the fans, you always get someone doing it in times like this. 

Its absolute nonsense. 

8 hours ago, Essuuaitch said:

regarding doing the ugly things ,  i dont think thats our main failing ,  we do spend a lot of time tracking back putting in challenges and  trying to  close opponents down . but the problem is  thats a direct result of  the simple fact that we cant  string any decent  moves together and end up  losing possesssion  in the first place.  Adama aside no-one in the last 3 seasons has offerered a threat going forward  on anything remotely close to  any consistancy.  we have  a group of midfielders that  allow opposition  midfielders  to move into space  far too easily  then they react  .  we capable facing sideways  and  spend far too much gametime facing our own goal  but totally toothless  when we have the ball facing forwards.   Mc Nair got singled out for losing his man for the winner and its something that he has been guilty of previously  as it is with Wing regularly  , Saville  is also guilty of this , Howson too  to a lesser extent ,but worryingly  Clayton this season  has picked up the habit.  Honestly as it stands  only Randolph  and Ayala  are  doing thier job to the level required .   

Doing the ugly things is not just about making tackles, my problem last night was our lack of shape. Birmingham were getting loads of success down the flanks because we were so narrow, it took us 60 mins to change things and it was only down to Randolph and a bit of luck that the game wasn't out of sight. 

We look poorly coached, unprepared for a game and have a bench that took an hour to change the shape when it was obvious after 15 minutes that things weren't right. 

So many calls for Woodgate to be sacked - couldn't disagree more. There's no doubt we now find ourselves in the midst of a relegation battle, that we've been pretty woeful and, to be fair, there is the possibility that Woodgate may be out of his depth.

However, we've overhauled half the playing staff, we're trying [or at least intending to] to play a completely different style and our transfer strategy is an absolute polar opposite of what it was before. If in appointing a rookie manager that our expectation is instant success under these parameters - and therefore to sack a manager now after a rough start - then what exactly is our plan? Would we even have one? Change the long-term strategy again having sold/signed half the squad? We'd be even more of an embarrassment then we are right now if we shipped Woodgate out the door after 10 games. At least we have a common objective, albeit it's not working yet.

If the risk of League One football exonerates going into the New Year - then maybe we need to think seriously about it. But not now.

Edited by 2plus2
  • Like 4
34 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I was waiting for someone to blame the fans, you always get someone doing it in times like this. 

Its absolute nonsense. 

I blame Gibson 100%, like I blamed him for Southgate and Mowbray except he's hamstrung Woodgate even more

• Like 2

International break is coming at a great time for us.

I know it's going to take alot more than a 2 week break to sort out this mess but at least it gives Woody and his staff abit of time to take stock get the players on the training pitch and start trying to drill this new way of playing into them.

IMHO I think there is light at the end of the tunnel, I dont think there will be a massive fire sale that some are saying but it may take afew seasons before it all comes together.

Let's stick with it! UTB

• Like 1

Woodgate will not be judged on 11 games, he knows that and we do too for all the openly obvious things related to the club.

No to Blanco with his post about the fans, nothing to do with us apart from atmosphere and Boro are getting what they deserve.

It is the eleven on the pitch simple as and for someone who has come back into the team I will say that Lewis Wing is not earning his stripes, he was pretty gash yesterday and made no difference with his passing skills.

Confidence is vital but having WBA and Fulham next is not the best way to start a recovery though you never can tell