oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham City (A) 1-2 (Ayala)

Awful last night. Unless something drastically changes over the international break, we’ll be bottom by the start of November with our next three games being WBA, Huddersfield, Fulham.

If anyone genuinely thinks that Gibson picked Woodgate for any other reason other than that he was the cheapest and would be a yes man then I’d suggest they’re being very naive.

So far he’s completely out of his depth. Hasn’t got the players buying into his ‘high press’, and he’s tactically outsmarted most weeks. In the last seven days alone he’s been tactically outsmarted by Garry Monk and Pep Clotet.

He won’t get sacked as the mantra has all about being given time to develop his ideas etc, but more importantly Gibson’s seemingly not willing to put any more funds to put this right. Jokanovic, Karanka or anyone similar would inject something into this squad, and I don’t buy the crap that Pulis has brainwashed into a select few about our squad being poor. 

Its all about the manager. There’s so many clubs that have bang average players and squads, and a good manager has brought them success, over the last couple of years alone; Sheffield United, Cardiff City, Norwich etc.

Cant quite believe how negative I’m being, but for the first time I genuinely think we’ll be playing League 1 football next year, and that’s said sincerely with no hyperbole.

As for the blaming the fans argument - I’m afraid I can’t get on board with it. These last three years, Gibson hasn’t done anything for the fans. Since Monk’s appointment, everything has been for his own agenda and he’s currently clearly got something massive going on behind the scenes; whether it’s his own financial problems or actively trying to flog the club. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was just talk as our first choice was Pulis, not Woodgate, in which case the new style etc wouldn't have happened anyway. Final post before returning to self imposed exile.  We seem to have co

im in the same camp as BD .  ive gone through plenty of bad times in the past as well as wonderful times .  ive seen players ranging from  absolute top quality down to rank bad .  right now what i see

I don't think it's all bad. We just need a few players in the  January window. Two centre backs. Two fullbacks. Two centre midfielders and two wingers. And two forwards. 

Posted Images

Come the weekend and we could be one point above relegation, which indicates the club is in trouble, and a lot deeper than some can imagine. For three years we have slid and the fault lies squarely with the club or manager because players simply do what they do, play football. 

Pulis claims to have left us in a healthy, and better position than when he arrived, the question is, just how bad could we have been. Woodgate won’t turn the club around, there is no long term plan, and we will be in the same position next season, hoping. 

Can’t see where our next 3 points are coming from. We can’t score and the defence is a shambles. No shape. No patterns of play. No leadership. We’re in deep trouble. Surely Gibson can’t afford for us to go down? If Woodgate stays, he needs help from an experienced coach. 

So depressing. 

7 hours ago, Blanco said:

OK so this is not going to be a popular post but...... I think everyone needs to look into themselves for the reasons that we are where we are. I was probably his only supporter last season but there are no circumstances that would have us heading for relegation under Tony Pulis this season. Maybe just maybe all the complaints over his style turned Gibson off and made him withdraw his backing from the club. Maybe the whinging fans are the reason for where we are? Think about it with an open mind...... are you responsible for us being where we are at now?

Yes fans wanted Pulis to go as he underachieved  but hardly any of us wanted Woody to come in we wanted a Jokanovic type manager or someone at least who know's what he's doing

Having slept on it I've got some thoughts 

I honestly dread to think what Woodgate could do given more time with this team. We've had, by my standards anyway, a pretty nice start to league life and had some pretty nice fixtures, yet we picked up a measley 10 points from them, and that imo is without playing anyone of significant note, who we've got coming up after the int'ls. 

I'd agree with the calls to stick if there was some sign of improvement but so far I'm just not seeing anything of the kind. If anything it's been regression from the Luton game to where we are now. 

It seems to me the players either aren't following instructions or don't understand the instructions. By now you'd at least expect the players to be adapting to this supposed new method of play surely? He's had a full preseason for crying out loud. 

I'm just honestly worried, we stand a very realistic chance of dropping to League 1, and I seriously struggle to find teams worse than us, barring perhaps Stoke. 

• Like 3

It does look like we're in deep trouble.

I think there should be 3 teams we can manage to stay above, but every away performance this season has been embarassing and it doesn't look like changing. Even with the Luton game, we conceded 3 times against a team that I expect to go down.

Tbh I’ve lost any interest I’ve had. I just don’t care anymore. It came almost as a surprise that I had to check the score last night as someone asked how boro was doing. We’re just bad at every aspect of the game. 

8 hours ago, Blanco said:

OK so this is not going to be a popular post but...... I think everyone needs to look into themselves for the reasons that we are where we are. I was probably his only supporter last season but there are no circumstances that would have us heading for relegation under Tony Pulis this season. Maybe just maybe all the complaints over his style turned Gibson off and made him withdraw his backing from the club. Maybe the whinging fans are the reason for where we are? Think about it with an open mind...... are you responsible for us being where we are at now?

Wtf how is this the fans fault? Most wanted Pulis out for obvious reasons. Everything under Pulis was crap. For Gibson to appoint Woodgate is solely on him and nothing on the fans. Are you Steve Gibson? By the way I’m sorry if my post comes across as a bit harsh but your question riled me up a bit. I normally love you my Irish friend?

21 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Wtf how is this the fans fault? Most wanted Pulis out for obvious reasons. Everything under Pulis was crap. For Gibson to appoint Woodgate is solely on him and nothing on the fans. Are you Steve Gibson? By the way I’m sorry if my post comes across as a bit harsh but your question riled me up a bit. I normally love you my Irish friend?

No offence taken BD. I just am trying to inspire some healthy debate over the international break as it usually gets very quiet on here. 
Oh.... and I’m trying to keep SD and Brunners away from that bloody NFL thread ?

• Haha 1

My view on things.

I am not completely buying this Woodgate has been given a bad hand. Yes Gibson is to blame but only as so far in being stupid enough to appoint Woodgate.

But Woodgate has not been given a bad hand to extent some might argue. Our team is still good enough that is should not be lying 20th. We have the best GK in league. A CB pairing of Ayala and Fry which are imo easily top 6 for this league. A good set of of central midfielders as far as they league is concerned and whatever your views of Britt he is still one of the most prolific strikers in this league.

The majority of this team Monk left 8th i think and Pulis had 5th and 7th respectively so Woodgate is performing woefully, especially given teams we faced so far.

I said it before but a cheap, unattractive but effective option who would have us competing for play offs is Rowett. He knows this league and bar stoke performed very well at Burton, Birmingham and Derby on budgets similar to ours.

Sorry for the rant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Blanco said:

No offence taken BD. I just am trying to inspire some healthy debate over the international break as it usually gets very quiet on here. 
Oh.... and I’m trying to keep SD and Brunners away from that bloody NFL thread ?

Haha. That thread is an abomination. But there is arguably more football in NFL than in this boro team. 

• Haha 1

This is on Gibson. He's done the same as he did with Southgate and Mowbray - appointed a fan favourite, turned the cash off and walked away. Soon only mercenaries like Pulis will be his only option. 

This squad cannot play how Woodgate wants them to. Players like Clayton have run their course. 

I expect plenty of sales in January. Off the top of my head Randolph, McNair, Rudy, Howson will all probably be subject to either offers or in Rudy's case offer to leave. Britt if he scores a few will probably attract some interest. 

We will probably bring in a few more league one types. 

We will probably survive a relegation fight this season. But what about next year?

8 hours ago, Blanco said:

I mean I thought Gibson was to blame for basically giving up in the premier league season, spending around 80 million on Fletcher, Assombalonga, Gestede, Braithwaite, Saville, Flint, guedioura, Shotton etc, poor managerial appointments 3 times in a row and basically taking the club to the brink of league one.

but yeah I do see your point about fans being to blame for moaning that we were playing the worst football imaginable when they spend thousands following the team each season....