oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham City (A) 1-2 (Ayala)

It was pretty obvious that this was going to happen when Woodgate was appointed. I'm just surprised people actually swallowed the clubs bullshit. 

Here comes his interview, let me guess it'll be all about hard work, graft and how he's a fan. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was just talk as our first choice was Pulis, not Woodgate, in which case the new style etc wouldn't have happened anyway. Final post before returning to self imposed exile.  We seem to have co

im in the same camp as BD .  ive gone through plenty of bad times in the past as well as wonderful times .  ive seen players ranging from  absolute top quality down to rank bad .  right now what i see

I don't think it's all bad. We just need a few players in the  January window. Two centre backs. Two fullbacks. Two centre midfielders and two wingers. And two forwards. 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Johnmfc81 said:

So is this team playing better now than last year in your opinion?

That depends. By this forum's general standards from last year (which is what my comment was based on), this is better. We are trying to be better with the ball than we were last year, we are more open to change (even tonight showed that, one positive that won't be noted is that without subbing anyone, we managed to stop Brum's main threat), we absolutely are trying to play a better brand of football than Pulis ever served up. No it's not going to plan yet, I wouldn't really have expected it to given the situation. But in terms of intent, I've seen enough of this team already this season to see that this is far more aligned with the kind of football people wanted to see last year.

If you're going to ask about results, of course last year was better. But try telling this forum last year that things could be worse than they were because we started with some good results and I think you'd find yourself on a hiding to nothing.

1 minute ago, DurhamRed said:

Just a coincidence that every time he leaves a club they have a nose dive when he blatanly insisted the whole time he was here that he likes to leave a club in a better place than when he inherited it which is just untrue on so many levels

The other way to look at it is that he brings the best out of players so they overachieve, but he does tend to bleed clubs dry. The whole Palace debacle tells you all need to know.

• Like 1

Akinfenwa makes a good point in his analysis. He said its just as important what you do off the ball as it is on the ball. 

That's where good coaching comes in, knowing when to press, when to sit and having a good shape. We have none of those things at the moment. 

I feel like because it's October and results are becoming too dire (dire is acceptable apparently this season they said just not this dire) we're due a Gazette annual piece on Boro 'boo boys' that just have such lofty expectations *checks notes* of a 60 million pound squad and a *checks notes* manager appointed after scouting far and wide for a candidate.

Whole things a farce everyone's culpable for it Pulis underachieved, Monk underachieved and Woodgate's underachievement is worst of all he premised things on nonsense 'play quick score goals' promised mid August we'd never see a Crewe performance again yet we've surpassed it multiple times since he lacks credibility, lacks deliverable's on the pitch and worst of all has took such public responsibility for signings/keeping Britt and Randolph I don't see how he escapes this. Club's in an absolute mess yet again post Pulis wasn't as bad as people say he left assets Woodgate's going to leave us in a hole that will probably dwarf Strachan.

• Like 3

I do feel a sorry for Woodgate, local guy, fan, hard work and all. I see all that and I feel his pain and I can't really blame him for taking the job or the state Boro are in. It's not his fault the club is in this position but I don't see any real way forward here. If we can avoid relegation Boro will surely face the same issues as before in every transfer window. Who's going to want to come here even if Boro can afford to bid? And, sadly, if the man at the top tries to sell the club I can't see any mega rich investor wanting it. 

I think we may be facing a good few years of this, sadly.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Woof Woof said:

I do feel a sorry for Woodgate, local guy, fan, hard work and all. I see all that and I feel his pain and I can't really blame him for taking the job or the state Boro are in. It's not his fault the club is in this position but I don't see any real way forward here. If we can avoid relegation Boro will surely face the same issues as before in every transfer window. Who's going to want to come here even if Boro can afford to bid? And, sadly, if the man at the top tries to sell the club I can't see any mega rich investor wanting it. 

I think we may be facing a good few years of this, sadly.

Or worse!!!

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Akinfenwa makes a good point in his analysis. He said its just as important what you do off the ball as it is on the ball. 

That's where good coaching comes in, knowing when to press, when to sit and having a good shape. We have none of those things at the moment. 

I will say tonight felt a bit of a better opportunity to press than we did. I saw Howson make a couple of moves and be left alone, Britt asking players to support him when pressing the ball which never happened. The team didn't press as a unit, it just about defended as one in the final third. Our shape was better in the second half, as I've said already I think we went from allowing them far too much space down the left to stopping that without making a single sub so there's a positive if you want one today. But another thing I have said for a few weeks now is we just can't seem to prepare for games properly, in that we don't look ready in the first half. It's difficult to impose your wanted style of football when you can't prepare for the simple things without a shuffle and rethink at half time.

13 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

This is a rookie manager trying to change the dynamic of a football club. It was never going to be simple or easy to do that. People asking him to resign? I'm just not sure what people are hoping to accomplish by doing that other than it being an emotional response to what we've just watched. It's not a logical decision to make. We seemed to all pretty much accept that Woodgate has the job because the club has messed up financially and where does that leave us regarding our options if Woodgate leaves? I've been saying it for nearly 2 years that people want us to be part of the managerial merry-go-round and it's happening again.

I've also said it before on here that people are barking up the wrong tree pointing fingers at Woodgate. I might not agree with @diggerlad07 on Pulis but one thing I do agree with him on is if you don't like this, point your finger at the actual man responsible for it. By all means, criticise the performances and the results because he still has to improve but this is a man accepting his golden opportunity to manage his home-town club which also happens to be a bigger club than he could probably have otherwise hoped to manage, he's not responsible for the ultimate problem which is that he had to be hired in the first place.

He himself needs time if he's going to get this right, it ain't going to happen overnight so I beg people to stop asking him to throw in the towel or asking for him to be sacked. The club can't afford to keep throwing managers in the bin when they're not doing well and they clearly can't afford to hire anyone better.

Deep deep down Woodgate knows that he was on a hiding to nothing, but no Boro fan would ever turn down the opportunity to manage the club they love. 

I'm not a fan to have a go at Woodgate because I think that would be unfair and just be following suit to what has happened to previous managers recently.

I know some fine details of why Woodgate got the job over other candidates and it wasn't because he was the best candidateNo worries trust me on that one.

He was the only candidate to agree with what Gibson, Bevington and Bausor want to implement - asset sale and hope for the best with the youth.

Look at the PR from the press conference and it tells you everything you need to know regarding Woody being a yes man. Of course he was always going be a yes man. Gibson has exploited his love for the club and took full advantage.

Experienced managers turned the club down in the summer because of lack of ambition from the owner.

Gibson promised money for Woody - complete lie which he has done endlessly. Gibson asked staff to take pay cuts or there jobs being at risk.

Dimi was offered a laughable offer by Gibson's team for having the privilege for staying for another year. £800 a week after he was on around £12,000 last season.

Believe you me, the club is a mess behind the scenes and I have reliably informed that asset stripping is going to continue in the summer and anyone with value will be gone.

The plan was to start it in the summer just gone and we did enough to get us by until next summer, but after that we are going to be down to bare bones.

Woody

"Really disappointed. When we got that goal, it was a get out of jail really because we got absolutely battered, especially in the first half," said Woodgate. 

"In the second half, we started playing a bit more but we didn't create the chances that we should have and to concede late on rubs it in. Very frustrating." 

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/watch-jonathan-woodgate-post-match-reaction-birmingham-city

The club is in a real bad state, the club/recruitment have made an absolute pigs ear of it for around 3 years. The whole Barragan, Fischer, Bernardo summer really hurt us. It destroyed a dressing room that had just won promotion.

Since that summer it has just been a disaster, paying all that money for Britt looks horrendous business, selling Bamford and keeping Fletcher, Gestede and Britt, Buying Flint and selling him for less a year later, Savilles value has halved in 6 months, etc etc.

2 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Dimi was offered a laughable offer by Gibson's team for having the privilege for staying for another year. £800 a week after he was on around £12,000 last season.

Which bit is the laughable bit, the £800 per week offer or the £12,000 per week he was on last season?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2