oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

Boro v Birmingham City (A) 1-2 (Ayala)

The problem with the football is that our club is in a precarious position across the board. 

If we focus on the football on the pitch, we have players who fit into 3 camps. Karanka's lot, Monk's lot and Pulis'. Each camp play different styles and each have their own merits.  But its slower in its build up, bar Monk's. Pulis got rid of those players, Traore, Christie, Bamford and maybe Fabio.  

These all suit a certain style of football, but not Woodgate wants to play a quick brand of football with players who cant possibly play that. The squad just isn't set up for that. 

The way I see it, we have two choices. Either Woodgate adapts to suit the current squad with a better style of football which suits them (I don't think he has the experience to do this). 

The other option is we continue to make the players try (and fail) to follow Woodgates new style which they wont be able to do. 

The worrying part for me though, is that the players who we brought in dont really seem to fit his new style, apart from maybe Browne? Dijksteele and Bola for overlapping wingbacks cant cross, and struggle under pressure. 

Again scouting team, what are you doing?? 

When Randolph goes, we will well and truly be in the ***. I'm just bracing myself now for this next run of games where we will get 0 points from 15. 

• Like 2

The worrying aspect is just how long it took WBA to get better whilst Stoke are clearly still suffering, going to take more than this season so staying up whatever the cost is the most important task

3 hours ago, Downsouth said:

The worrying aspect is just how long it took WBA to get better whilst Stoke are clearly still suffering, going to take more than this season so staying up whatever the cost is the most important task

We're going to be in the Championship for the foreseeable future. Unless we get relegated though. We'll certainly be closer to relegation than a safe midtable finish this season.

41 minutes ago, Borodane said:

We're going to be in the Championship for the foreseeable future. Unless we get relegated though. We'll certainly be closer to relegation than a safe midtable finish this season.

I think we'll be looking over our shoulder for the rest of the season - and will definitely spend some time in the bottom 3.

The next 5 games would be a tough run even if we were playing well, so I think we'll be bottom 3 before next international break. Let's hope the likes of Reading, Stoke, and Huddersfield don't sort themselves out as they actually have okay teams, they're just playing badly like us. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest Posts

• Even with no rumours today, I still back Warnock to bring in players he would actually use for his style and system. I’ve just watched (I know late to the party) Sunderland til I die season 2 and their January window episode.   Firstly, It amazes me how the chairman splurged money on Will Grigg when he could have used that extra money to get Maja to stay. But secondly, and more boro related was that the manager at the time Jack Ross didn’t really fancy Will Grigg, but the chairman bought him anyway. Surprise surprise, Will Grigg struggled and didn’t fit in to how they play.    How does this relate to Boro? Well I think in the past, we have bought players who don’t fit a style and system for a manager. I think Warnock won’t sanction players to come if they don’t fit in, and this is obviously a huge positive moving forward.    Put it this way, I’m more confident that players will come to us for Warnock and work for him as opposed to a Boro under Woodgate. You can already tell the mentality of moving on quickly and not begging for players had an impact.    Why did Woodgate start Gestede vs Swansea, knowing that Gestede wouldn’t want to play in case he got injured. Warnock commands respect and Woodgate was seeking it. Big difference in mentality that I think gets overlooked with Woodgate and the recruitment side. 
    • Warnock's deadline for players to decide has nearly passed.
    • All pritty quiet today, other than the wingy debate, hopefully in prep for an influx of new signings
    • That was actually scrapped in Denmark as it’s impossible for the stewards to tell if people live together. Just too hard to handle 
    • August 3rd 1974 Boro 0 Carlisle United 1 A dull and disappointing Texaco Cup game between two teams who were both contemplating life in the First Division after being promoted together a few weeks earlier. In fact they'd meet twice in the top flight in the next fortnight or so. Boro became frustrated after several early saves by Carlisle keeper Alan Ross and too often resorted to long balls that the visitors' tall defenders dealt with comfortably.  It was former Boro favourite Hugh McIlmoyle who created the only goal, setting up Martin to fire home after 50 minutes. All in all a bad day at the office for Boro, with Jack Charlton saying after the game that he'd seen his team work harder in practice matches. In the news - The Tories criticised Labour's manifesto pledge to follow a policy of nationalisation ahead of the forthcoming election, housewives were warned (in a possibly sexist way) that eggs could cost £1.50 a dozen by 1975, Richard Nixon prepared to give a TV address as impeachment loomed in the Watergate affair and three north east lads were arrested in Spain for singing loudly at 2am and fined £1 each (equivalent to 8 eggs, or a decent Spanish omelette). Top of the charts - Rock Your Baby by George McCrae.