oneBoro Forum

What to do?

So - There's clearly something wrong in our set up for our games, but what should we/Woodgate do? 

What is our possible BEST formation with the current squad? 

What should our players be instructed to do: defense, midfield, attack? 

Are there any free agents who could strengten any of our week spots?

I have thought of this formation: 4-4-2 diamond (classical) but might come in handy.

----------------------Randz------------------------
Dijk/Shotton---Ayala---Fry---Friend/Bola/Coulson
----------------------Clayton----------------------
---------Paddy------------------Howson-------
---------------Wing/Browne/Tav--------------
----------------Fletcher---Britt------------------

Our full backs should be instructed to never  go forward at the same time.
Clayton should then cover for the missing full back (marking wise) 
Paddy and Howson have the engine to play there box to box, a fine pair...
Wing, Tav and Browne can all play as a good #10 in my opinion. Wing would maybe find his good performances again this way... Browne and Tav are good direct players, I think...
Fletcher and Britt together in the box area might create space for each other or the #10 and who ever of Paddy, Howson and one of the full backs who have moved forward (in possession) - Britt might be good playing off Fletcher.

How would YOU set us up, if you were the manager?

Edited by SmogDane
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure it's that level but then I'm also not sure how comparable the situations are. The problems at Sunderland almost entirely derived from their owner's disappearing act. It had built up from

What to do? How to prepare ? Put a cold shower in the tunnel and has the Boro players walk out they will get drenched and this should wake the buggers up so that we get a decent first half from t

Yes, hiring a manager who's just been sacked by a team no better than us when we're already in the *** sounds like a great idea.

What to do? How to prepare ?

Put a cold shower in the tunnel and has the Boro players walk out they will get drenched and this should wake the buggers up so that we get a decent first half from them.

If this works repeat for the second half.

Perfect tactics.. 

• Haha 3

3-5-2

randz

ayala shotton fry

dijksstel                     coulson

Howson

Wing              McNair

Fletcher            Britt

In a Sliding Doors moment, I dont think we are in this situation if Britt bags that penalty at Luton. We carry confidence out of there, carry on with the high press and do OK.

Now it feels like theres 2 things to do to stop the rot - go all out attack or set up just to avoid defeats.

McClaren and AK both came in and immediately tried to make.us hard to beat. Rigid structure, congest the centre, stop balls coming into the box. This probably has the higher probability of working but wont win Woodgate much support after we were promised attacking football.

So for me the only way is to just try and attack our way out of it. Stick to high press, high back line and just go for it

Randolph

Marv LB until Coulson is back

Fry CB

Ayala CB

Howson RB

Tav LM

Wing CM

McNair CM

Browne RM

Fletcher ST

Britt ST

Disregarding points earned, would people see greater progress if we drew our next 5 games, or if we won 2 lost 3?

• Like 1

If it was 2 good impressive victories and too exciting loses, then deffo the latter! 

In fact every time the latter of the two given, cause 6 points i better than 5 ?

1 hour ago, ChipBarrington said:

In a Sliding Doors moment, I dont think we are in this situation if Britt bags that penalty at Luton. We carry confidence out of there, carry on with the high press and do OK.

Now it feels like theres 2 things to do to stop the rot - go all out attack or set up just to avoid defeats.

McClaren and AK both came in and immediately tried to make.us hard to beat. Rigid structure, congest the centre, stop balls coming into the box. This probably has the higher probability of working but wont win Woodgate much support after we were promised attacking football.

So for me the only way is to just try and attack our way out of it. Stick to high press, high back line and just go for it

Randolph

Marv LB until Coulson is back

Fry CB

Ayala CB

Howson RB

Tav LM

Wing CM

McNair CM

Browne RM

Fletcher ST

Britt ST

Disregarding points earned, would people see greater progress if we drew our next 5 games, or if we won 2 lost 3?

I'll take 6 points over 5, thanks! 

i don't think its about what points we get in the next 5 games , more about can we get a shape and stick to it. I understand pragmatism, but 4-3-3 was supposed to be the way forward so Woody needs to try and do that.

1 hour ago, Boro 86 said:

i don't think its about what points we get in the next 5 games , more about can we get a shape and stick to it. I understand pragmatism, but 4-3-3 was supposed to be the way forward so Woody needs to try and do that.

I've just said in the other thread, it's got to be one or the other. Stick to your beliefs and start coaching the players to play to your style or adopt a pragmatic approach which may better suit the players. 

If we start attacking teams and getting beat then I think he'll get a bit more slack with the fans. If it's a defensive results first style then we need to start doing the basics properly but at the moment we're not doing either.

13 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Today has answered your question tbh, get Daniel Stendel in immediately 

Yes, hiring a manager who's just been sacked by a team no better than us when we're already in the *** sounds like a great idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Exactly, we should be bringing in Jack Ross really.

11 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

He’s got something about him, built Barnsley back up and gave them and the fans a new lease of life. He’s available, he would be cheap and would jump at the chance to come here. Not getting him would be a mistake imo.