oneBoro Forum

What to do?

On 10/9/2019 at 10:47 PM, DurhamRed said:

So in the January window how much money is they available to spend? Or are we going to have to sell before we can buy a half decent player. I mean even Emmanuel Ledesma would be our most creative player in this side 

None. May sell Britt and reinvest about a third into another league 1 player with “massive” potential. Behind the scenes we are arguably as big a mess as Sunderland in the Netflix series. Truly awful. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure it's that level but then I'm also not sure how comparable the situations are. The problems at Sunderland almost entirely derived from their owner's disappearing act. It had built up from

What to do? How to prepare ? Put a cold shower in the tunnel and has the Boro players walk out they will get drenched and this should wake the buggers up so that we get a decent first half from t

Yes, hiring a manager who's just been sacked by a team no better than us when we're already in the *** sounds like a great idea.

I'm not sure it's that level but then I'm also not sure how comparable the situations are. The problems at Sunderland almost entirely derived from their owner's disappearing act. It had built up from years of just financially approving anything and then walking away and wanting out when it went tits up. A lack of stable management but consistent investment in rubbish.

Gibson has made similarly poor financial decisions in recent years but not at the point of wanting to walk away from them. Of course you can argue nobody is really taking responsibility as much as they could as very little seems to have actually changed but at least they're trying to be more responsible whilst still spending some money. Sunderland's top brass seemed to just disappear when the spending went too far, Gibson and co. are still here and by that very nature are taking more responsibility than the Sunderland owner ever did during that season. But Gibson is a Boro fan and that makes it a bit different. If Gibson didn't actually care about Boro, I suggest we'd be in a very different position right now and I'd wager it would be much worse rather than any better.

• Like 4

I think for now we should go to a 4231, until January at least.

Randz

Djksteel Ayala Fry Bola

McNair Howson

Tav Wing Fletcher

Assombalonga

McNair and Howson to cover the pushing full backs and play a narrow 3 behind Britt.

I think this suits the players we currently have best and then if in Jan we can get 3 or 4 in that suit the 433 high press tactic then start switching back to it

I'd far rather see tav as a number 10 than wing. I dont think wing has any of the guile or creativity required for that role.

Personally i still stick with the 352 that I've been saying since summer is the only one that fits our current crop of players. It's great that woodgate has a formation he wants to eventually play with but unfortunately for him he didnt get the right players in for it in the summer so hes going to have to compromise. 

Randolph

Fry ayala shotton (as much as I'd love him out of the team we dont have much choice)

Dijksteel howson tav mcnair johnson

Fletcher britt. 

I'd like to agree with you on that one NB4. It makes sense with our current crop of players. However, I'm not sure Woodgate is tactically good enough to make a switch. He can barely get us to play his preferred tactics. 

In agreement with you both on the proviso that Lewis Wing starts playing to his potential again instead of the poor performances from him of late.

He needs to be higher up the pitch instead of the defensive positioning seen from him recently. Can't cut open a defence from there

Wing has a good range of passing on his day but yeah, he's not going to score or assist much from deep, despite his long-range shooting. It seems to me that Woody sees him as a more offensive Clayton, who can drop deep and play more of a 'Pirlo' role. But the players in front of him really need to work more on their shape and movement for it to come off. He can probably do both that and be more of an offensive midfielder but not both so Woody needs to make his mind up what he wants from him.

I’ve given up with our midfield, I always think back to the wba/sheff Utd home games of last season, howson and Wing absolutely dominated, aggressively pressing the ball, winning it high up the pitch and driving forward, Clayton sat in behind and mopped up anything that got passed.

It was the best I’d seen is play for ages, then we had an international break and that was that. Now I’m not really sure what any of them do/want to do other than Clayton. 

Howson, Wing and Tav have all turned into ‘floaters’, just generally floating around the midfield area not really defending and not really attacking. Out of those 3 I honestly couldn’t tell you their best position other than ‘CM’.

Our midfield has no drive, no sense of urgency or aggression, it’s receive the ball and pass it on, receive the ball and pass it on. Basic, predictable stuff, it neither creates anything or destroys opposition attacks.

Possibly the most ‘meh’ midfield I’ve seen from us since the days of Isiah osbourne and Kevin Thomson.

• Like 1