oneBoro Forum

Heartfelt Cry

I'm 58 years old  and have supported Boro for over 50 years.

During those years there has been some terrible times and some average times but also some amazing times,during those years the passion was always there,looking forward with great anticipation to every single game.

However this season and some of last season the anticipation of the game, the feeling of excitement has completely gone, I live away from the area now but manage some games each season but don't really care about going anymore,it fact I get more enjoyment from Fantasy football, Super 6 and the Predictions League than I do from watching my beloved Boro. 

II feel extremely sad to feel like this, I haven't in the past and not for one moment did I ever think I would. 

The club is so poorly managed these day's,  some of the decisions made and the PR spin are beyond believe, make sure you take a look at Erimus posts they are fantastic and very nostalgic and sum up the real Boro.

Unfortunately Woodgate is a train wreck in the making, he doesn't have the authoriky tactical ability or man management skills to be successful in his current role, it's a shame he's been promoted beyond his capabilities, I hope I'm proved wrong but the way things are going well will be in for a sorRyanair period in the clubs history.

Well I've depressed myself even more writing this and hope that soon I will be able to feel the passion and excitement again because this is rubbish both the way I currently feel towads the Boro and the current state of play the club find themselves in due to the gross mis management over the past few seasons and like it or not that comes down to one person and onew person only.

Apologies for the rant folks,just so utterly disillusioned with the dross we have to watch and the pathetic state the club are in when it could have all been so very different. 

• Like 2

I'm sad you feel that way Macca and I'm sure you're not alone there. All I can say as someone who feels much better this season than last is that if you can't feel good about the club as a whole (I don't really), try to disconnect from the club as run by Steve Gibson and focus on the team run by Woodgate. We've all had our say on the top end of the club, we're pretty much all unhappy with it but we do ourselves no good to dwell on that if we can't take any further action to change it.

To some that will sound daft because they feel just as bad about Woodgate but I strongly believe that if you focus on him, you can at least appreciate the battle for what it is, appreciate that the players are going to have struggles as much as him and his staff are and try to live with the belief that we shall overcome as a team. This isn't a problem of his making but one he seems desperate to prove himself in. Try as best you can to back him, give him time and space to stretch into the role, ultimately do not scapegoat him as being the problem because right now, he certainly isn't. In my eyes, he's doing the best he can with his limited knowledge and resources.

• Like 2

Well said! You've pretty well summed up my own feelings.

Actually had my own "Woodgate Out" rant on the 606 forum.

Thing is, I don't actually blame Woody for the state the club is in...after all, how many people would turn down a management job (unless they really weren't interested)?

I don't fully condemn Gibson for appointing him either. Boro have a track record of giving rookie managers their first job and for the most part, they have worked out okay (Robson, McLaren & Karanka). Southgate...well we all know how that panned out.

However, barring a miraculous turnaround by Christmas, the board need to acknowledge this particular gamble hasn't paid off. In fact, I hope Gibson is already looking at potential replacements to bring in for the January transfer window.

Far from improving, the team has looked more and more incompetent with each game, in every aspect. In fact, we look so bad, I fear Woody has lost the dressing room already.

Are our reasons for hiring all those rookie managers aligned? I think the first 3 you've mentioned are a mix of name/status in the game and genuine potential. Southgate, I seem to recall us appointing after not being able to get Martin O'Neill, not on his potential. His playing days were coming to an end and he's still the best captain I've seen play for this club so I can see how he got the job but I don't think it aligns with the 3 (McClaren, Robson and Karanka) in terms of 'hiring a rookie'. Woodgate probably aligns mostly with Southgate but I'd suggest that Woodgate represents more of a necessity than any of them.

We had to hire cheap, we had to hire someone with potential who was happy to work with a shoestring budget. One of the reasons I can't back any idea to sack Woodgate is I just don't see how we replace him without in some way compromising financially on a manager who also won't lead us to any success at the top end of the division, thus represent an even bigger loss and one we can't afford. To fans who think we should sack Woodgate because he's not good enough, how do we negotiate ourselves around the financial barriers we are working within to make a successful replacement? Do you trust the top end to be capable of doing that considering how crap they've been? It just doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1

I understand the circumstances and the reasons for hiring the managers we did...including Woody.

However, what would be the financial consequences of being relegated?

As to who we could get in to replace Jonathan...I can't name any names, but there are usually a number of managers in search of work, who would be willing to work with a tight budget. Someone in the mould of Sam Allardyce (lets face it, things are that desperate right now). Someone with experience, but not necessarily any burning ambitions to make a name for themselves.

True Boro aren't an attractive proposition as a team, but I'm sure we can still pay a decent managers' salary.

Would love to know when this came out! 😁

ravanelli manager.jpg

3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

True Boro aren't an attractive proposition as a team, but I'm sure we can still pay a decent managers' salary.

I honestly don't think we can and I think that's evidenced by Woodgate being in charge. 😁