oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough v Huddersfield (Away) 0-0

15 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel envious when they see and hear the way Danny Cowley speaks about football. Really wish we had made a real push for him after Pulis. 

makes me sick gerry dee GIF by Mr. D

I would have taken a chance on Danny Cowley, I don't think you would have been talking a mega bucks contract to get him here either.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we bring Keane on instead?

Howson has been good at right-back, better than Dijksteel has, I would assume that's the perspective around playing him over Dijksteel there. He was good there in pre-season, good before his injury fo

I don't think he is.  I know he's scored some goals this season but I think it's been a mixture of tap ins and a couple of decent headers.  The goal he got the other night was lucky as he hit it towar

Posted Images

Cowley might have been okay and probably would have got better results than Woodgate so far... but to raise a counter-point, I don't think he entirely solved the problem of wanting attacking, free-flowing football for long periods. Lincoln played the most direct football out of any of League Two's top 6 teams, they played with a target man. They also played with wingers, one out-and-out and one seemingly more of an inside-forward, one problem people have spoken of is the lack of all-round quality in this area of our team after the transfer window so there's no guarantee he'd have had the players to make his general style work. They mixed it up a bit and Cowley's philosophy seems to be more "beat what's in front of you" meaning there isn't any real identity. To go back to last season, fans seemingly wanted an identity of being an attacking team and not a chop-and-change brand of tactics.

I'm not particularly sure what's different between how he speaks about football vs. Woodgate, either. I've not heard many people speak about football and wanting to be around football so much as Woodgate does.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm not particularly sure what's different between how he speaks about football vs. Woodgate, either. I've not heard many people speak about football and wanting to be around football so much as Woodgate does.

The main difference for me is that whilst there is no doubt Woodgate does indeed speak with passion about football he appears (thus far) to bear fruit from any practical application on the pitch. Cowley speaks intelligently and makes a change on the pitch. This may come in time with Woody and I sincerely hope it does I just think he is lacking in something a outside of a love of the game. 

14 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

The main difference for me is that whilst there is no doubt Woodgate does indeed speak with passion about football he appears (thus far) to bear fruit from any practical application on the pitch. Cowley speaks intelligently and makes a change on the pitch. This may come in time with Woody and I sincerely hope it does I just think he is lacking in something a outside of a love of the game. 

I think Woody knows a lot more about football and tactics, than some gives him credit for... You don't play in Spurs or Real Madrid if you are just a tool. He will come good.. He has very little to work with .. It's not like we have a super bench for each game. Things will get better with Friend and Coulson returning too.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Well this was the concern before the season wasn't it. Woody says all the right stuff and I don't doubt for one second it comes from the heart.

But any of us could state the problems and desired solutions... implementing them is another thing entirely. Only so many times you can be like "yeah this is what we need to do" before actually going out and showing some evidence of doing it. 

23 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

And it would be miraculous if we could all enter a job and accomplish all our goals from day one. He is what he is and I'm still more than happy to give him the time he needs.

I'd love it if he could do it too. But we also need to weigh up whether we're willing to get relegated in the name of his project. 

When do we call it a day... 6 points adrift of safety? 9? Maybe it'll never get to that stage (bloody hope it doesn't), but being brutally realistic we're 24th in the league form table and have a tough run of games ahead.

1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

I think Woody knows a lot more about football and tactics, than some gives him credit for... You don't play in Spurs or Real Madrid if you are just a tool. He will come good.. He has very little to work with .. It's not like we have a super bench for each game. Things will get better with Friend and Coulson returning too.

Neymar has played for Barca, PSG and Brazil and he is an absolute tool. At least he seems like it. Playing the game on the back of natural ability and being able to follow orders is a lot different from being the one who has to develop the tactics and actually make others follow your orders. 

I think we'll get hammered 3-0 tonight. Concede inside the first 10 mins and panic the rest of the game. Buying a RB you've wanted all summer and then benching him to play a CM at midfield is just plain stupid in my head. Yeah Howson is "solid" there but there isn't much perspective in that and certainly no future.

Howson has been good at right-back, better than Dijksteel has, I would assume that's the perspective around playing him over Dijksteel there. He was good there in pre-season, good before his injury forced him out and I'm pretty sure for what it's worth he was getting similar plaudits for playing there last year. Remember Nsue was a winger, was it farcical that we kept playing him at RB when he was playing well there? Boiling it down to 'playing a centre-mid at right-back' is fine if he plays like a centre-mid, like a square peg in a round hole, but that's not what's evidenced on the pitch.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Neymar has played for Barca, PSG and Brazil and he is an absolute tool. At least he seems like it. Playing the game on the back of natural ability and being able to follow orders is a lot different from being the one who has to develop the tactics and actually make others follow your orders. 

I think we'll get hammered 3-0 tonight. Concede inside the first 10 mins and panic the rest of the game. Buying a RB you've wanted all summer and then benching him to play a CM at midfield is just plain stupid in my head. Yeah Howson is "solid" there but there isn't much perspective in that and certainly no future.

When you have been managed by good managers and you have ambitions yourself, then some of the good patterns might stick, just saying.  I still believe he will come good, but how dare I be optimistic 😉 

1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

When you have been managed by good managers and you have ambitions yourself, then some of the good patterns might stick, just saying.  I still believe he will come good, but how dare I be optimistic 😉 

Nothing wrong with your optimism, I hope your right I certainly want to see Woody succeed, it would be a great success story for a local lad. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I would have taken a chance on Danny Cowley, I don't think you would have been talking a mega bucks contract to get him here either.

I'm sure it cost Huddersfield £1m to get him (and his brother). Probably explains why we didn't go after him.

Cowley has proved he can do it at a lower level and I suppose time will tell how high he can rise. Woodgate has not proved anything to anyone as yet. He has been dealt a raw deal from recruitment but at his unveiling he seemed convinced he could get more out of the squad. I hope he gets it right, starting tonight. I have a funny feeling we are going to get well beat though. I don't like the way he is changing things around though. He worked with these players last year so surely knows their attributes. 

5 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Cowley has proved he can do it at a lower level and I suppose time will tell how high he can rise. Woodgate has not proved anything to anyone as yet. He has been dealt a raw deal from recruitment but at his unveiling he seemed convinced he could get more out of the squad. I hope he gets it right, starting tonight. I have a funny feeling we are going to get well beat though. I don't like the way he is changing things around though. He worked with these players last year so surely knows their attributes. 

True, but tbf there is no proof that Woddy couldn't make results with that same squad in league 1 as well - Like there is no proof, that the Cowleys would do any better with our current squad. It's all speculations.