oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough v Huddersfield (Away) 0-0

6 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Its not unlucky to miss open goals its bad technique. Luck has nothing to do with it. These are basic rules taught on UEFA courses 

id disagree, i fancy that if most strikers hit a ball from 5 yards out at an open goal with bad technique, more often than not they'd still score. bad technique or not its harder to miss than score some of the open goals weve missed. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we bring Keane on instead?

Howson has been good at right-back, better than Dijksteel has, I would assume that's the perspective around playing him over Dijksteel there. He was good there in pre-season, good before his injury fo

I don't think he is.  I know he's scored some goals this season but I think it's been a mixture of tap ins and a couple of decent headers.  The goal he got the other night was lucky as he hit it towar

Posted Images

3 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

To rub the salt into the wounds have Pulis providing the analysis on Sky

Best manager we have had since the Spanish bottler

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tmcc said:

thats abit of an ambiguous statement you have to rate chances on their individual merits. in anycase, theres a difference between chances and open goals, id bet alot of money that most strikers score more open goals than they miss. (except ofcourse boro strikers).  well if u look at the games so far, against luton we miss a pen at 3-2 to go 4-2 up and win the game (again most striker score more pens that miss i assume) 2 points dropped. 

next game brentford two goals disallowed that wernt offiside, dont go 2-0 up lose 3 points dropped. refs fault. 

obviously deserved a point v west brom open goal missed along side a number of chances.   at least a point dropped. 

and obviously tonight 2 points dropped as we easily should have scored one of our many chances. 

an easy 8 points dropped this season which would have us 11th. 

again i dont think we've been great but i do think a mixture of bad luck and some terrible misses have cost. i mean weve missed about 5 open goals already this season. most teams wont miss that many all season. 

And then all the pennas we should have had too .. At least 3 during the 13 games .. 

A fine mid table placing should be it .. But missed sitters, bad refereing and bad luck has us close to relegation .. But it will turn around .. Anyone blaming Woddy for the results of the last two games is insane .. 

This is on the players (and the ref) ... 

• Like 1

Pears - Fine debut.. Good to see him vocal and commanding. Kicks could be better

Howson - Defends "ok" .. Clueless with the ball .. like he has very small feet and cannot turn the ball when he dribbles.. A good deal of running, but sadly a lot of running with his head under his arm.

Fry - He is reacting and thinking too slow atm .. Needs to step up!

Ayala - Awful missed sitter.. He would score more often than miss if he had 10 like that.. Good defending and nice to see him work aaard!

Shotton - One big mistake.. Solid through out the game .. Actually played some nice balls forward.

Johnson - super crossing several times .. could beat his man a few times too .. close to being my man of the match.

Wing - Man of the match for me .. He broke through their first line in midfield several times and played some good direct forward passes .. Worked aaard too. His best game this season so far. 

Mc'Nair - solid but no pulling up trees .. Great set pieces though.

Saville .. Did his fair share of running .. not sure what he brings...

Tav - finds himself in good positions often, but gets marked too easy, instead of going direct.. Ineffective today but reads the game well untill he gets the ball ..

Fletcher .. Good positioning and incredibly poor miss .. No words for that .. 

Britt .. Should have had a penna .. Still frustrating .. No grin today (Ain't that right, Will) 

Coulson .. He has some drive, which will come in handy, when he gets back to full form. This kid will score and assist a few times, if he gets some minutes!

Clayton N/A

Over all .. The last two games should have given us 4 points .. But .. The variance will even out during the season .. We have played acceptable for the last two games ..  
Against WBA we were sucker punched .. And today the ref and Fletcher .. and maybe Ayala cost us 2 points. 

We will come good... and we will get something from the Fulham game as well! 

• Like 1

Last night was a game we could of won, and after watching it I believe we should of beaten that team. They were as bad as us. We might take a bit of confidence into the Fulham game but if fulham play to their best they will beat us, especially if we play like we did last night. We need to be more ruthless in front of goal.

8 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Why didn't Britt simply lob the keeper? Not many complaining about his golden chance

Some fans and especially on here do not dare say a bad word about Britt. His whole round game is completely poor and his finishing is abysmal.

Look at his whole round game - makes unnecessarily runs, doesn't hold the ball up, offside more often than not, doesn't link up well with players, poor finisher, goals to chances ratio is extremely poor and his first touch is shocking. (Michael Ricketts springs to mind)

I have quite a lot of Notts Forest fans and they all said the same to me when we bought him but for the first 10 games when we signed him i thought they were wrong - how i got that wrong!

I feel for the lad at times when he is up top at front by himself isolated but this season we have got numbers around him and yet he still makes the same mistakes as mentioned above.

I don't care what people say on here, i have on good authority that he doesn't want to be here and wanted out last January to Cardiff but the chairman put a block on it and ever since he hasn't been the same player.

Britt ties his shoes laces and fans sign 'do do do Britt Assambalonga' get a grip and sing for the players who want to play for the club like Dael Fry who himself rejected a move to Burnley as he wants to stay at the club.

Britt wasnt to blame for last nights result as i actually thought it was a very improved performance by everyone and was nice to see some balance to the team.

Rant over, Roll on Saturday.

• Like 1

Just reading back through the comments and the consensus by some, our poor form seems to be bad luck, poor refereeing and missed changes, so based on the laws of average we could expect the latter two, to start to delivering results. If we agree a good striker scores +20 goals a season then Brit needs to score another 16 in 33 games (1:2) but what if we accept a mid table finish, would that mean he needs to score as little another 11 in 33 games (1:3), which current statistics of 4 in 13 (1:3) suggest he is on target. 

Conclusion. Based on luck changing then we expect to see bad luck and decisions starting to go our way. Brit would be on target for a mid table finish therefore we should reach the 1.3 points per game, right. 

Don’t jump to posting replies just yet, because the above is tongue in cheek a bit of humor at suggestions our demise is simply down to what if, should have and poor refereeing. 

11 hours ago, billsykes said:

I thought it was a decent performance. One positive was young Pears. Didn't have much to do but what he did have he did competently, although his kicking needs to improve.

The club have said don't expect any big spending in January but if they could find a decent striker then I have no doubt the effect of someone actually providing an end product would have a positive effect on the whole team,certainly enough to finish mid-table.

The striker in question doesn't have to be an expensive world beater, just someone who is better than what we have would do, can't be that hard surely.

I'm Waiting to see if Burrell can step up 

At the moment I have Boro, Huddersfield and Barnsley to go down. The form table may say different. (Though unfortunately, not as far as Middlesbrough are concerned). 

Yes we have improved a little but we will not get as many 'easy' chances to score as we did last night.

I admire the optimism shown by some on here. And at the same time I envy your belief. But as much as I want to believe, Boro are not helping one little bit. For sure there is a long way to go but if we don't start winning games soon the team will continue loosing confidence and as a result become more hesitant in their decision making.

Yes, as stated, there is a long way to go and I agree we are having an extensive run of bad luck but wasn't it Ferguson that said "you make your own luck'?

I'm away so I didn't get to watch, I actually turned my phone off so I couldn't check the score till full time, but it's immensely disappointing that we've failed to win yet again.

Especially as by all accounts we were the better team, Huddersfield were very poor, and I've seen the inexplicable missed chances.

I don't think you can argue against us being in a relegation battle now, this was a 6 pointer and we've not taken the initiative, it's over a quarter of the way through the season and we've managed 2 wins, teams like Wigan and Luton have managed twice that many and they'd have been favourites for relegation.

We need a new striker desperately. It's all well and good saying it when he's scoring frequently again, but I'd genuinely have happily had Hugill back this season. He plays far more of a part in the build up than Assombalonga ever has, and he can hold up the ball well.