Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we bring Keane on instead?

Howson has been good at right-back, better than Dijksteel has, I would assume that's the perspective around playing him over Dijksteel there. He was good there in pre-season, good before his injury fo

I don't think he is.  I know he's scored some goals this season but I think it's been a mixture of tap ins and a couple of decent headers.  The goal he got the other night was lucky as he hit it towar

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Going over the team in the ratings thread, I think I actually give Shotton my MOTM for last night.

That's a fair shout. I have him 3rd Best just below Johnson and Wing. 

5 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

We're going down if we can't beat the teams around us, it's as simple as that.

i think we will. Said at the beginning of the season wed be amongst it. Nothing has happened to suggest to me we will be ok since

7 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

i think we will. Said at the beginning of the season wed be amongst it. Nothing has happened to suggest to me we will be ok since

Well .. It's starting to look like the Netflix farce.. Sunderland Till I Die .. We even have 2 of the same players .. We also have an overpaid player who won't leave ..  BUT! 

We will not go down .. The way we have played the last two games, should/could easily have given us 4 points... A scrambled scraped suckerpunch v WBA and a not given penna and sitters missed v Huddersfield .. Add to that the other 2 pennes we didn't get .. Plus the 2 perfectly good goals v Brentford .. And if Britt didn't sky that penna v Luton .. We might have had a much better start to the season with more confidence ..  We will come good .. and all the negativity doesn't help one bit .. not one tiny bit.. It might make things worse instead, you know! 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, BoroAbroad said:

At the moment I have Boro, Huddersfield and Barnsley to go down. The form table may say different. (Though unfortunately, not as far as Middlesbrough are concerned). 

Yes we have improved a little but we will not get as many 'easy' chances to score as we did last night.

I admire the optimism shown by some on here. And at the same time I envy your belief. But as much as I want to believe, Boro are not helping one little bit. For sure there is a long way to go but if we don't start winning games soon the team will continue loosing confidence and as a result become more hesitant in their decision making.

Yes, as stated, there is a long way to go and I agree we are having an extensive run of bad luck but wasn't it Ferguson that said "you make your own luck'?

I'm not eve sure we have improved.  I suppose getting stuffed 4-1 at home or being completely outplayed at Birmingham gives us plenty of scope for improvement but I'm not really seeing it?  WBA aren't all that as they showed on Tuesday - whether that's just a dip in form or evidence of how weak the division is shaping up to be I don't know.  Last night we played against a really poor side and I don't think we looked good at all.  We absolutely should have won the game as we had a couple of excellent opportunities but I thought we were basically as good/bad as we've been for most of the season.  I have no more optimism now than I did before the game yesterday.

8 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Look at his whole round game - makes unnecessarily runs, doesn't hold the ball up, offside more often than not, doesn't link up well with players, poor finisher, goals to chances ratio is extremely poor and his first touch is shocking. (Michael Ricketts springs to mind)

I agree with most of what you say here about Britt, but I actually thought he held the ball up quite well a few times. At least he didn't jump under the ball every time like Fletcher did

13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'm not eve sure we have improved.  I suppose getting stuffed 4-1 at home or being completely outplayed at Birmingham gives us plenty of scope for improvement but I'm not really seeing it?  WBA aren't all that as they showed on Tuesday - whether that's just a dip in form or evidence of how weak the division is shaping up to be I don't know.  Last night we played against a really poor side and I don't think we looked good at all.  We absolutely should have won the game as we had a couple of excellent opportunities but I thought we were basically as good/bad as we've been for most of the season.  I have no more optimism now than I did before the game yesterday.

I thought it was a huge improvement from the Birmingham game which was the last game I saw, we at least had a little bit of shape to the team. 

Like you say though a benchmark of Birmingham away is about as low as it gets and we still look like a really poor team. 

From what I've seen this season we look like a team that will be battling against relegation. For me there's two options, we either support Woodgate and try to get him a few more options in forward positions. Or, we change manager and see if a new manager can get us to safety. 

Doing nothing will result in us battling against the drop, we might be ok in the end but a few injuries could leave us in serious trouble. 

17 hours ago, BoroSmoggie said:
18 hours ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

Jordan hugill?

I’d have him back in an instant. I didn’t even mind him when he was here tbh. But he’s on fire for QPR so no chance of that now 😂

I don't think he is.  I know he's scored some goals this season but I think it's been a mixture of tap ins and a couple of decent headers.  The goal he got the other night was lucky as he hit it towards one part of the goal and it took a big deflection while the keeper was diving that way and went into a different part of the goal.  Their fans opinions of him seem to be similar to ours from last season really - puts himself about, misses some good chances, bit of a shithouse in how he goes down looking for freekicks, doesn't hold the ball up as well as he should but decent in the air. 

He scored 6 goals at a rate of about a goal every 310 mins for us last year while Assombalonga scored 14 goals at about a goal every 191 mins last season.  We also won more points when Assombalonga played than when Hugill played, which makes a certain amount of sense if one of them isn't scoring much.  If Assombalonga isn't good enough then Hugill certainly isn't.  This season is the best start to a season that he's had in his career by an absolute mile.  If he keeps it up then fair play to him but I'm a bit dubious.   He scored five goals in August and then only two since and one of them was really lucky as I mentioned above. Even when he was 'good' for Preston, his goals per minute was around one goal every 260-280 mins or so.  Paying silly money for bang average players is precisely why we are in the situation we find ourselves so I definitely wouldn't take him back in an instant. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

We have only conceded 1 goal in the last two games. That's an improvement. But yes. We are still bloody awful. Thats why I have us pegged as going down. It feels so much like the PL season. Hoping something will change. But resigning to the fact it wont.

Edited by BoroAbroad
Wrong spelling
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, BoroAbroad said:

We have only conceded 1 goal in the last two games. That's an improvement. But yes. We are still bloody awful. Thats why I have us pegged as going down. It feels so much like the PL season. Hoping something will change. But residing to the fact it wont.

Ah yes I remember it well,  every one we played said "Don't worry your to good to go down."

Just like I am hearing at present..😣

20 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Well .. It's starting to look like the Netflix farce.. Sunderland Till I Die .. We even have 2 of the same players .. We also have an overpaid player who won't leave ..  BUT! 

We will not go down .. The way we have played the last two games, should/could easily have given us 4 points... A scrambled scraped suckerpunch v WBA and a not given penna and sitters missed v Huddersfield .. Add to that the other 2 pennes we didn't get .. Plus the 2 perfectly good goals v Brentford .. And if Britt didn't sky that penna v Luton .. We might have had a much better start to the season with more confidence ..  We will come good .. and all the negativity doesn't help one bit .. not one tiny bit.. It might make things worse instead, you know! 

Could have, would have, should have. The fact is we are a point above the relegation zone and joint lowest scorer in the league a quarter of a way in. The table never lies and I don't really see anything to make me think it will be any different. We're really poor on the pitch and have a rookie manager to turn it around which I just don't see him capable of.