oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

I think we need to stop using players from years ago as examples. Adam Johnson was probably the last ‘big name’ our academy produced and that was 10 year ago, I’m not counting Gibson who is a Burnley sub. Hopefully this season looks like changing that though, Coulson really looks like he might do something, not sold on fry or Tavernier like but Pears looked solid enough last night even though against a poor team.

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Motor Mouth said:

Boro have a larger catchment area than Ipswich  plus on their doorstep they are competing with Norwich just up the road..

Boro have become lazy thinking because of the Robbo and McClaren era's that money will solve all our problems you just have to look at the youth coming through  to see that something is wrong on that side of things. We have had some very good youngsters but those that actually make it through are soon sold off. They only return when they are over the hill and for a final pay day,          immediately  Downing and Woodgate spring to mind .

Yeah they've definately become lazy. They aren't looking far enough😋 fill the team with lower league players and that's where we'll end up.

45 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

I think we need to stop using players from years ago as examples. Adam Johnson was probably the last ‘big name’ our academy produced and that was 10 year ago, I’m not counting Gibson who is a Burnley sub. Hopefully this season looks like changing that though, Coulson really looks like he might do something, not sold on fry or Tavernier like but Pears looked solid enough last night even though against a poor team.

Who cost them £20m. Gibson definitely counts. We're not overloaded with academy talent but Gibson definitely counts.

• Like 3

I hope no-one's getting their hopes up. It seems to be a fairly solid fact that there is very little money available to bring in new players, so we're not going to buy our way out of trouble.

To be honest, with a rookie manager I'd actually say thats a sensible policy. If we still had Pulis, or another experienced manager, then that'd be a different situation.

If there are any good youngsters coming through the academy, I would love to see them given a chance. Otherwise the scouts are going to have to work extra hard to unearth genuine "rough diamonds", either in the lower leagues, or overseas (and quick, before Brexit freedom of movement restrictions kick in).

Seems to me, the last few seasons, we've just been signing anyone available that plays in a position we're looking for some backup in.

I do appreciate that, even if we offload our most sellable and highest-earning players, we still won't have a huge transfer kitty...but if we do spend, we should be looking for quality over quantity. Would rather we filled the team with academy players, than journeymen who are only here because they aren't wanted anywhere else.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Who cost them £20m. Gibson definitely counts. We're not overloaded with academy talent but Gibson definitely counts.

Johnson and downing went on to play champions league and international football, not comparable imo. I’d bet over half the fans of premiership clubs barely know who Ben Gibson is, we just benefitted from ridiculous transfer fees.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Johnson and downing went on to play champions league and international football, not comparable imo. I’d bet over half the fans of premiership clubs barely know who Ben Gibson is, we just benefitted from ridiculous transfer fees.

Ben Gibson has also played Euro League 😉 

Surely there must still be free agents out there who would suit our purposes. Also if they are not playing regular football and desperate to be involved then wages could be quite fluid.

It really grates me that we are forced to continue with Gestede and his constant injuries.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LinoJo3 said:
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

We benefited from him playing very well for us for multiple seasons and then we benefited from selling him for a lot of money.  He'd walk back into our side now and be our best player.  Johnson had one good half season for us and then we sold him.  Talented player certainly but you have to count Gibson in this discussion if you're including a player like Johnson and the same goes for Morrison as well really.  The issue isn't big names, it's producing players who are able to make an impact on our first team with a certain level of performance over a period of time.

38 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Our new signings can't get a look in, so I'm not overly confident of our recruitment anyway, but we definitely need more attacking players and hopefully can offload Gestede.

TC truth now fella ,would you buy Gestede ?  if you were looking for a striker to score goals or even to get on the team sheet occasionally.?

I think we are stuck with sick note till his contract runs out mate.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

We benefited from him playing very well for us for multiple seasons and then we benefited from selling him for a lot of money.  He'd walk back into our side now and be our best player.  Johnson had one good half season for us and then we sold him.  Talented player certainly but you have to count Gibson in this discussion if you're including a player like Johnson and the same goes for Morrison as well really.  The issue isn't big names, it's producing players who are able to make an impact on our first team with a certain level of performance over a period of time.

Fair enough Gibson should count. My main point however was our academy gets over hyped because of players from 10 years ago, we can’t keep using downing as an example of how great it is. 

Anyway it’s off topic so I’ll move on haha.

Barring Randolph, Pears, McNair, Wing & Coulsen, I think every player should be available for the right price... So long as the money will.be made available for replacements.

The Pulis hangover is not going to be fixed by the end of the season. So if we can get a decent price - even for so-far underwhelming, but talented players like Assombalonga and Fry - we should sell for the good of the season and the club. 

January isn't a good time for us to look to improve though. There's very little value for money. Looking at the Prem squads, there's some strong talents barely playing who may be available on cost effective loan deal. Including seasoned Championship players like El Mohammedy and Vydra who could make a squad-wide difference with their quality and experience, and both in positions which were currently very weak in. Even players like Mariappa who are seasoned, unsensational, but dependent could be key to us getting much needed point. Otherwise there's young players like Skipp, Mepham and Brewster who need playing time at this stage of their careers. They'd likely be cheaper options. 

It's the replacements which concerns me. We need to move players on, but I'm not confident in our ability to (a) identify replacements, or (b) genuinely make moves for anyone...

• Like 2

how many of the out of contract players do you think will leave?

I think Clayton is highly likely, we'd begrudgingly take a decent offer for the likes of Howson or  Ayala. 

Shotton was almost gone in the summer, and even though he has played everygame, he's on way too much money - so yes

And Rudy, if anyone will take him ofcourse.

I know Howson is a steady performer, but I wouldn't mind him going depending on his wages. We have players that should be able to play his position. Surely he is on  more money than Clayton so I financially it would make sense to let him leave. His wages could perhaps free up a decent loan signing. One of Howson or Clayton would make sense to move on, as I can't see anyone coming in for Saville and I want to keep McNair and Wing. Gestede is a no brainer, but he is going to see out his contract here. 

Britt and Howson/Clayton out for a combined 9 mil and something like 70k off the books in wages. 4,5 million to spend on a striker and some creativity and we might go into the second half of the season in better shape.

• Like 1