oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Hope Ayala to Fulham is just that. A rumour. Fulham got 5 CBs. Mawson, Ream, Odoi, Le Merchand and am sure they signed Michael Hector from Chelsea in Sept and he will be available in January. 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Can't see how the club can risk selling Ayala, we're so short defensively as it is.

I can't see how we could have ended up with a squad with no genuine wide players or a #10, but we did. I couldn't see how Pulis felt we needed Savile and/or Mikel in a squad groaning with CMs, but he did. And I can't see how the players felt dropping back so deep against Hull was the right approach, but they did.

That's a large part of the problem with Middlesbrough FC at present. Decisions are being made which seem to have little logic, and which don't seem to acknowledge the possible ramifications. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ayala left in January, because it would make as much sense as anything else that's happened of late. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Can't see how the club can risk selling Ayala, we're so short defensively as it is.

Yeah, that's my take on it as well.  It doesn't seem all that logical but then Boro and logic don't even seem to be passing acquaintances at the moment.

Can you imagine THIS team without Ayala? At times he's literally a 1 man defence and IMO clear player of the season so far.

If the intention is to pair Fry with Ben Gibson we are royally ***. It seems like Ste Gibson has gone from being a little Englander to being a little Teessider.

If we get everyone fit I suppose we've got Fry, Shotton, Friend and maybe McNair that can play at Centre back. If Ayala can leave for free in May then i think the club will accept offers for him in January. 

Maybe we'll look to bring in another centre back on loan or look to find a cheaper replacement elsewhere. 

I wouldn't sell Ayala but I'm trying to imagine how the club might look at things. 

21 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

Can you imagine THIS team without Ayala? At times he's literally a 1 man defence and IMO clear player of the season so far.

If the intention is to pair Fry with Ben Gibson we are royally ***. It seems like Ste Gibson has gone from being a little Englander to being a little Teessider.

That's because you're ridiculously biased in fairness.   I noticed you didn't have much to say during the QPR match when Ayala was at fault 🙄

Randolph is the player of the season and it isn't even close. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, that's my take on it as well.  It doesn't seem all that logical but then Boro and logic don't even seem to be passing acquaintances at the moment.

I'm not sure we can afford to re-sign him anyway and if Fulham offer some cash in Jan, I think they would seriously consider it, especially if we're as broke as I've been led to believe.

48 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I'm not sure we can afford to re-sign him anyway and if Fulham offer some cash in Jan, I think they would seriously consider it, especially if we're as broke as I've been led to believe.

I doubt we can give him a suitable new contract either but I'd keep him until the end of the season anyway.  We've got more chance of staying up with him than with an extra million quid or two.

37 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I doubt we can give him a suitable new contract either but I'd keep him until the end of the season anyway.  We've got more chance of staying up with him than with an extra million quid or two.

valid point, but I'm still not convinced we wouldn't just take the money!

I suppose it really depends on who they have lined up to replace him. If they don't plan on replacing him or are looking at another "gem" from League 1 then I hope we keep him. But if we can strike a good loan deal or have been offered something very interesting then I wouldn't be against cashing in on him if the offer is good. 

On 11/25/2019 at 11:42 AM, TeaCider24 said:

Given the club's financial situation, they might not have much choice. He's one of just 2 or 3 players who have been able to shine to any degree and is one of our most saleable assets.

If another club comes in for him with a decent offer, I suppose we'd be hard pushed to turn it down.

But yes, on the playing side, its absolutely the last thing we need. Mind you, Ayala might be glad of no longer having to be a 1-man defence.

I do realise the rest of our defence is pretty shoddy, and he's the best we've currently got, but I've always had my heart in my mouth when Ayala is in our box. He's given away a lot of free kicks and daft fouls over the years, and he's notorious for manhandling opposition players at corners, which could always result in a penalty being given.

He's great at headers, good at man-marking and did well against Hull, but I always thought Ayala was a less composed defender than Ben Gibson. I hoped Fry might also eclipse him this season, but like several other players, his performances have really fallen away.

^ That kind of opinion of Ayala is so nit picking, yes he does make rash decisions sometimes but you have to remember if he didn’t have that rash streak he’d most likely be in the premiership and not here.

99% of players we will ever sign won’t be perfect and all will have some kind of major flaw. 

Ayala is about as good a defender we can hope to have wether he makes rash challenges or not. We as fans need to stop this obsession with highlighting any downside to a player we can find, I remember when we were first linked to Gaston more than a few said he wouldn’t improve our team! Cue the best forward we’d had in years...

• Like 1