oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

1 minute ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

I think the developmental difference between kids even born just a few months apart is bigger than you’re giving it credit for. You also see it mentally, children born earlier in the year as a general trend perform better at school. 

I don't think they do, mate.  I don't believe there is any evidence that physical or mental attributes have anything to do with month of birth.  Research has suggested that any differences are relatively small and are more likely to do with what year you enter school i.e. what I was talking about earlier.  A kid born in August this year will be in the year below a kid born in September this year, despite the fact that they may only have been born a few days apart.  The kid born in September could theoretically be more advanced than lots of people in his own year group because he's older but he isn't going to be more advanced than the kid born in August of the same year as him or for that matter someone born in April of that year.  It's the differences in schooling entry points that lead to that, not the actual birth month itself.  

There was some thought that environmental factors could impact on these things so for example summer births leading to kids getting more sunlight in the first few months of life or how temperatures at different stages of pregnancy could affect how foetuses develop but I don't think there has been any relationship found between intelligence and birth month.  It's also worth pointing out that if you broaden it out to think in seasonal terms, i.e. spring, summer, autumn and winter, then those seasons are at at different times of the year around the world so it wouldn't be logical for there to be a consistent advantage like that to one period of time, globally speaking.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I would do it the other way but then I like being different because I'm an awkward get.  Kids should play more in more mixed age situations but with those who are older than them.  When I was a kid I played with lads a few years older than me quite a lot, just socially not organised.  When I started playing organised football and other sports I was put into teams in age groups above mine.  I wasn't big for my age so it had nothing to do with that.  I think playing a lot with the older kids forced me to develop certain things more quickly - technical skills and mental skills specifically.  I had to think quicker to make up for the lack of size and speed, I had to be a bit more skilful because I couldn't just sprint past everyone.  I never took any sport seriously, I just liked playing for fun and wasn't interested in coaching and stuff like that, but I can't believe that other kids who do take it seriously wouldn't benefit a lot from what I inadvertently gained a bit from.

I think that's fine if the younger kids can handle it, I think that scenario has happened more often than the opposite way round. 

I played with mixed age groups as a younger kid, I think where that becomes more difficult is when the kids are in their teens. 

I think we are thinking along the same lines about not sticking to rigid age groups, I think the priority should be finding players with exceptional talent and then allowing time for them to develop physically. 

The other thing which I think probably doesn't get enough attention in academies is the psychological side of the game. I know a few players that were a similar age group to me who went on to play professionally and they generally weren't the most talented players under the age of 18. The attributes that most of them did have were maturity, good support networks from family, a good work ethic and unbelievable discipline to sacrifice the things that most teenagers were doing. Some of those attributes are innate but some of it can be developed as well. 

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You were probably held back a couple of years at school so it just made it seem that way 🤭

I only went to school 7 years. 

1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 3rd, grade, 3rd, grade 3rd, grade and 3rd grade ...

• Haha 2
55 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think they do, mate.  I don't believe there is any evidence that physical or mental attributes have anything to do with month of birth.  Research has suggested that any differences are relatively small and are more likely to do with what year you enter school i.e. what I was talking about earlier.  A kid born in August this year will be in the year below a kid born in September this year, despite the fact that they may only have been born a few days apart.  The kid born in September could theoretically be more advanced than lots of people in his own year group because he's older but he isn't going to be more advanced than the kid born in August of the same year as him or for that matter someone born in April of that year.  It's the differences in schooling entry points that lead to that, not the actual birth month itself.  

There was some thought that environmental factors could impact on these things so for example summer births leading to kids getting more sunlight in the first few months of life or how temperatures at different stages of pregnancy could affect how foetuses develop but I don't think there has been any relationship found between intelligence and birth month.  It's also worth pointing out that if you broaden it out to think in seasonal terms, i.e. spring, summer, autumn and winter, then those seasons are at at different times of the year around the world so it wouldn't be logical for there to be a consistent advantage like that to one period of time, globally speaking.

I think we agree? I meant that due to the fast rate of development when young, there’s a development gap. At school, those born in September have developed more than someone born in August and therefore as a general trend perform better. Not that those born later don’t have the capacity to be better than/worse than/the same as those born earlier, it’s just they’re handicapped by the fact their brains aren’t as developed. As you say, it’s the point of entry that counts.

Maybe I misread your original post? Or maybe I misread this post and you don’t agree with what I’ve just said? Who knows...

Just on to transfers here but what will Woodgates strategy be?

Does he go for players to fit our 352 system which is working ok or does he go for players to fit his preferred and desired 433 system?

Either system will need very different players

On 12/9/2019 at 3:56 PM, Smoggydownsouth said:

Cheers Lurker... randz will be gone... also think 2 or 3 more... just a hunch.

I got some info tonight from a close friend of Randolph”s Dad. If Darren has his way he will be staying at Boro. He is really happy and settled in the area and doesn’t want to leave. There are no circumstances that he will go back to West Ham as he didn’t like the owners and generally was unhappy there. He would prefer to retire than go back there.

Take from it what you will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I got some info tonight from a close friend of Randolph”s Dad. If Darren has his way he will be staying at Boro. He is really happy and settled in the area and doesn’t want to leave. There are no circumstances that he will go back to West Ham as he didn’t like the owners and generally was unhappy there. He would prefer to retire than go back there.

Take from it what you will.

It always surprises me how much players seem to love staying in the area once they live here. The media always like to describe this area as a horrible place to live