oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Gibson, Ayala and Fry in defence, Push Howson into midfield and get rid of Clayton or Saville. 

I think he'll go back to four but we shall see.  I wouldn't play Ayala and Gibson in a back three anyway, they looked bad when we tried it in the Premier League a few times under Karanka.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think he'll go back to four but we shall see.  I wouldn't play Ayala and Gibson in a back three anyway, they looked bad when we tried it in the Premier League a few times under Karanka.

But that would mean dropping either Fry or Ayala, and I'm not sure that's the way to go when you have players like Saville and Clayton in the team that should be the first ones out of the lineup. (unless we decide to just cash in whatever little cash we can on Ayala).

1 minute ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Saville is garbage what did he actually do last night? 

Not much but neither did Clayton and Tav didn't succeed with much although he was fairly busy and at least tried to get the ball forward. Saville does pop up with the odd goal though and considering the transfer outlay I don't think we can afford to just discard him but instead we have to try and get the best out of him.

15 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think bringing another centre-back in means moving to 4 at the back either, tbh. What makes you come to that conclusion, CT?

I just told you up there!  Well I partly told you 🙂

So...firstly, I don't think they play well in a back three/five.  As I said, they both looked awkward when we tried it before.  I don't think we look that good with it now but Woodgate may well disagree of course.  Secondly, we think that Woodgate wants to play with a four and a different emphasis on how we play.  If we're bringing in other loan players as well as Gibson then it would make sense to go back to what Woodgate actually wants us to do.  I was trying to remember when we switched formation this season, I feel like it was after the Birmingham and Sheff Wed games?  I think Woodgate switched how we were playing after a couple of games though and then switched the formation later when we looked all over the place.  If he gets players he's happier with then I see no reason why he won't go back to what he originally wanted to do.  Ayala and Gibson are a known partnership so if Woodgate had them at his disposal then he might feel more confident in playing with a back four again.

If Ayala ends up being sold then obviously you can forget all of that.

44 minutes ago, Borodane said:

But that would mean dropping either Fry or Ayala, and I'm not sure that's the way to go when you have players like Saville and Clayton in the team that should be the first ones out of the lineup. (unless we decide to just cash in whatever little cash we can on Ayala).

It would mean dropping Fry or moving him to right back.  That's how I would see it playing out.

Obviously, if we sell players then that could change things.  I was assuming that we don't sell anyone other than Randolph as was mentioned by diggerlad.

25 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Saville does pop up with the odd goal though and considering the transfer outlay I don't think we can afford to just discard him but instead we have to try and get the best out of him.

Without being facetious, how do we do that? I'm not sure what Saville could bring to the team even if he was played in his best position, whatever that is.

6 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Without being facetious, how do we do that? I'm not sure what Saville could bring to the team even if he was played in his best position, whatever that is.

I have no idea. But if he can score 10 goals at Milwall you'd think it was possible here too if we didn't play so defensive.

23 hours ago, Changing Times said:

You were probably held back a couple of years at school so it just made it seem that way 🤭

Well it worked for Ace Rimmer...helped him get into the Space Corps... 😉

Sorry. I might have missed it but has one of the ITK posters said we are looking at bringing Ben Gibson back or are above posts just a general discussion about if we were to bring Ben Gibson back?

33 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Sorry. I might have missed it but has one of the ITK posters said we are looking at bringing Ben Gibson back or are above posts just a general discussion about if we were to bring Ben Gibson back?

Yeah someone says we're trying to get him back on loan.

• Like 1