oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I suspect we'll try to sell him but Ayala himself might want to wait until the end of the season before he jumps ship. He's pretty settled up here and moving anywhere further away will require more than the little notice January moves often require. Maybe Newcastle or Leeds, somewhere like that and I can see him leaving.

I know a lot of people on here love Ayala, but I think he's in the David Luiz school of defenders - naturally talented and great in the air, but always 30 seconds away from giving away a dangerous free kick with his endless pushing and shoving. He was positionally poor against a weak Swansea side at the weekend, and I've quoted his yellow card stats on here before.

Would Newcastle or Leeds (especially if they get promoted) really want to sign him as a PL-standard defender on PL wages?

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

Didn't Burnley want Fry in the summer. So there could be a potential swap deal for Gibson then get some extra on top like £3 million to fund the Maddison transfer and possibly some left over to hand a new contract to Ayala.

On 12/15/2019 at 2:52 PM, LinoJo3 said:

I meant he wasn’t always played as a ‘traditional winger’

I'd happily sell fry if we had a good offer for him. Loan in Gibson and buy in a winger and striker loan a second winger. Sell Clayton too.

I know Ayala has a mistake in him and he *looks* like he will, but actually I reckon hes been one of our most consistent defenders at such a good level for ages. 

We would be so worse than current if he wasnt here. Look at the protection hes had in front of him all season? Pretty much non existent. 

He isn't perfect, but I'd rather have Ayala in our team than not. 

The question is, do we play to our players strengths or ask them to do a job that they're not comfortable doing?

6 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Peterborough rejected cheap offer from Boro it seems. Sounds like Luke Freeman deal again where we bid £1.7m which got turned down, then increased our offer by 100k. QPR told us to f off.

He is out of contract in the summer though, yeah?  So a cheap offer is as good as they'll be getting from anyone you'd think.

• Like 1
Just now, Changing Times said:

He is out of contract in the summer though, yeah?  So a cheap offer is as good as they'll be getting from anyone you'd think.

Yeah understandable. Fry admitted that aswell at the AGM i think it said. Might be some wiggle room but doubt it would be much. Think we are better of going for Prem loans for young ones or players that arent getting games rather than paying silly amount for league 1 players

1 hour ago, DurhamRed said:

Didn't Burnley want Fry in the summer. So there could be a potential swap deal for Gibson then get some extra on top like £3 million to fund the Maddison transfer and possibly some left over to hand a new contract to Ayala.

Gibson will be on more money than Fry so we'd be increasing our wage bill.  Then we'd be increasing it again to sign Maddison and for a third time to give Ayala a new deal (unless he accepts reduced terms on his new contract).

24 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Peterborough rejected cheap offer from Boro it seems. Sounds like Luke Freeman deal again where we bid £1.7m which got turned down, then increased our offer by 100k. QPR told us to f off.

1.7mil.... haha think we were offering around 1/4 of that this time 🙄

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

If a player has a release clause I don't see why it's even worth trying to get them cheaper.. Regardless if there out of contract in the summer.  

It's worth it because they'd be cheaper 🙂

2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

I know a lot of people on here love Ayala, but I think he's in the David Luiz school of defenders - naturally talented and great in the air, but always 30 seconds away from giving away a dangerous free kick with his endless pushing and shoving. He was positionally poor against a weak Swansea side at the weekend, and I've quoted his yellow card stats on here before.

You cannot be serious? He's carrying this defence.

1 hour ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

1.7mil.... haha think we were offering around 1/4 of that this time 🙄

It’s a league 1 player out of contract in the summer who’s never interested championship teams. I’d be worried if we paid over 1 million let alone starting the offer at more than 500k. We’ve just signed three league 1 players in the summer and none of them look value for money.

That said Peterborough might think it’s move valuable for them to just keep him considering they are fighting for promotion. 

2 hours ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

If a player has a release clause I don't see why it's even worth trying to get them cheaper.. Regardless if there out of contract in the summer.  

Because teams can still accept lower than release clause figures and often do when a player is nearing the end of a contract. It's not a hard and fast "we can't sell him for less than this" figure.

• Like 1