oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

1 hour ago, alexutb said:

He's undoubtedly just as useful/if not better than what we already have. Worked his absolute socks off every game for 90 minutes and definitely had a bit of quality about him. Highly doubt we will sign him anyway but its daft to say you wouldn't take him in our current situation.

Based on what?  And no, I wouldn't.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

JELLE VOSSEN i'd imagine he's style would suite us nicely playing off a striker with tav and fletcher/mcnair. not been playing to much though. 14 games and 5 goals last season. hes a 1 in 3.5 forward which isnt to bad. the belgium league has better teams than the chamionship so those saying its not very good league are probably wrong. wonder if the belgium teams took at the champo and think wow what a good league lol

14 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Based on what?  And no, I wouldn't.

Based on watching every minute that he played in the 14/15 season. Thats your opinion and to be honest it means very little as its more than unlikely that we'll resign him but seems like a fair few people agreed with what I said previously. I mean we started Ste Walker up front last game man. We're clearly very short and Vossen was a good squad player for us who gave 100% for the shirt and had the occasional class game. He was an intelligent player with a very high work rate and his off the ball runs in particular made him stand out in a decent side. To say you wouldn't at least take him back on loan to see how he does and boost the squad given our current position is just daft imo. 

15 hours ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

It could be setting us up for some major departures. I think they bring in ex popular players like Gibson and Vossen and lose 2-3 of our bigger players will act as a little distraction. Perhaps a Juninho wave to the fans at half time appearance as well. 

My beef is why chop and change the players when we all know that the manager is the problem. Sack him and get a decent bloke in who can get these decent players working together again. Its not frigging rocket science that the minute we lose valued players and get in possible replacements we are not going to do ourselves any favours and will more than likely slip back into the relegation zone .

Woodgate can't even get a decent game from the 3 players he apparently brought in at the beginning of the season so how the hell is he gonna get any newbies working this late in the season.

I’m not sure it is ‘good news’ if Randolph stays, he’s a great keeper for us yes but imo the absolute biggest difference he can make to the club rn is to bring in £5m and hope we get a bit of it to spend.

Bringing in Clark and Maddison will be far more beneficial to us than having Randolph in goal and ste walker playing.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, alexutb said:

Based on watching every minute that he played in the 14/15 season. Thats your opinion and to be honest it means very little as its more than unlikely that we'll resign him but seems like a fair few people agreed with what I said previously. I mean we started Ste Walker up front last game man. We're clearly very short and Vossen was a good squad player for us who gave 100% for the shirt and had the occasional class game. He was an intelligent player with a very high work rate and his off the ball runs in particular made him stand out in a decent side. To say you wouldn't at least take him back on loan to see how he does and boost the squad given our current position is just daft imo. 

That was 5 years ago though and in a much better team than this one he scored 7 goals and actually didn't look particularly classy at all.  Hard working absolutely, but quality?  Nah, I really don't think he was.

Forget specific names for a minute and answer me this: if someone said to you that what we really need right now is a hard working but not especially prolific striker would you really be all for it?  That's the bit I'm struggling with.  I think you're looking at a name, specifically a name from our past, and that is perhaps clouding the judgement a bit.  That to me is not what we need at the moment and on the basis that he is not going to be playing here for buttons then our money could be used better elsewhere.

Do I believe that Vossen is likely to be a better player than Ste Walker.  Well, yeah, of course I do.  One is a young kid starting out his career and one is a more experienced player.  Do I believe that Vossen offers a great deal more than our other strikers - no, not really, although I have no idea what level he's playing at now as I haven't seen him play in 5 years but then neither have you.  I think we need a different style of player or players than him though and I don't believe that is even the slightest bit daft.  

24 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

That was 5 years ago though and in a much better team than this one he scored 7 goals and actually didn't look particularly classy at all.  Hard working absolutely, but quality?  Nah, I really don't think he was.

Forget specific names for a minute and answer me this: if someone said to you that what we really need right now is a hard working but not especially prolific striker would you really be all for it?  That's the bit I'm struggling with.  I think you're looking at a name, specifically a name from our past, and that is perhaps clouding the judgement a bit.  That to me is not what we need at the moment and on the basis that he is not going to be playing here for buttons then our money could be used better elsewhere.

Do I believe that Vossen is likely to be a better player than Ste Walker.  Well, yeah, of course I do.  One is a young kid starting out his career and one is a more experienced player.  Do I believe that Vossen offers a great deal more than our other strikers - no, not really, although I have no idea what level he's playing at now as I haven't seen him play in 5 years but then neither have you.  I think we need a different style of player or players than him though and I don't believe that is even the slightest bit daft.  

Totally agree, vossen was all hard work without ever really achieving much. He always just seemed just slightly not good enough, his finishes to close to the keeper, his pace just a touch to slow, his first touch slightly off.

He was like a poor mans okazaki, achieved anything he did through sheer hard work and determination rather than quality. The Millwall hat trick was the one and only game he stood out as an apparent Belgian international forward.

If it was vossen or nothing then yes I’d have him back, but at the same time I’d be massively disappointed that our recruitment team have once again failed to find a decent forward.

49 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He was played out of position for the majority of the season don’t forget that, usually played at number 10 with Bamford striker. Wouldn’t say his goal return is a fair reflection of his contribution. Granted I haven’t seen him play for years, but a hard working professional who knows the club to motivate the younger lads and do a job up top when needed, a position we seriously lack in, is no bad thing in my eyes. Doubt he’d cost much either and would almost certainly fit in the budget. Highly unlikely we’ll sign him anyway so isn’t worth much more thought but yeah that’s my two cents.

5 minutes ago, alexutb said:

He was played out of position for the majority of the season don’t forget that, usually played at number 10 with Bamford striker. Wouldn’t say his goal return is a fair reflection of his contribution. Granted I haven’t seen him play for years, but a hard working professional who knows the club to motivate the younger lads and do a job up top when needed, a position we seriously lack in, is no bad thing in my eyes. Doubt he’d cost much either and would almost certainly fit in the budget. Highly unlikely we’ll sign him anyway so isn’t worth much more thought but yeah that’s my two cents.

I don't think he played out of position as such.  He played as a second striker and that's what he is or that certainly seemed to be the opinion of the Genk fans at the time who said he needed to play off another player.  You could sign him and play him off Assombalonga (if he stays) and have that work rate there.  I'm just looking for something different really.

Who knows what will happen though.  Bevington is on his way out so presumably that means some sort of change to our recruitment or maybe it doesn't.  I have no idea where that is at right now.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Vossen scored 9 goals for us 14/15. Also, Gestede has scored 6 goals for us, not 5. I know it's pedantic and that these inaccuracies don't do much to undermine your overall points but always nice to be accurate when using stats to back up your argument (as you often do) - especially in this era of misinformation. Transfermarkt is best for stats! 

• Like 1