oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

12 minutes ago, tmcc said:

the average salary in this div is probably not 25k, i dont doubt ayala is something around that figure but there are many clubs that wont have a single player on that figure. for example a friend of mine from Manchester is ITK about wigan and told me that there highest paid player a year or so ago was nick powell and he was only on around 15-16k.  

theres obviously west brom, fulham, stoke, leeds, cardiff, derby, who can offer abit more but i doubt that any club without parachute payments can offer numerous players 25k+ without being in financial difficulty.

Yeah you're probably right on that actually, I had a quick look last night and I found that figure somewhere (and naturally can't find the bloody page again now) but yes, average across the division being £25k does seem quite high.

I suspect our average salary is around that though. Or it was at the very least before summer 2018, before Gibson, Bamford and Traore left. Our wage bill in 17/18 was apparently £49m. A lot of error involved but if you bring that into weekly wages and spread it across just 30 players, that's averaging about £31k a week. I'd be shocked if Ayala was on half our average salary.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

One problem we seem to have is that we cost cut too much. 

Sometimes you have to spend more to get better. 

In my opinion, Ayala has shown in his games this season he is worthy of the extra cost. And sometimes you need that incentive for players, otherwise what is there to motivate them?

Also his leadership on and off the pitch is invaluable to the youngsters. 

• Like 1

We will get a clearer picture of our finances next month when accounts come out. These accounts will include the reported £42m we got for Adama (18m), Gibson (15m) and Bamford (10m) minus the reported £17m we spent on Flint (5m), Sav (7m) n Paddy (5m).

16 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I personally think we might be closer to ffp than many think, which is why we're cost cutting so drastically.

I think that's a definite Brunners. Until we move out the high earners, Gestede, Britt and Randolph and realign salaries at a sustainable level then I think we are treading water. Thank god for the academy and impact of Pears, Spence, Coulson, Fry, Tav and Wing as we would have been well and truly adrift. 

Having a 10k a week limit in the championship sounds about right. Without parachute payment our income is relatively sparse so finances need to be aligned. That said I really can’t believe that we’ve offered Ayala 5k and howson even less. Dijksteel at 10k also sounds a bit off. But all just speculation on my behalf. 
happy new year to all. 

29 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

?? When he signed the entire story was he loved it at Charlton but we were willing to bump his pay up to 10k.

we trippled his wage i believe, but he was on like 1.5k a week so hes on like 4-5k. 

39 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

?? When he signed the entire story was he loved it at Charlton but we were willing to bump his pay up to 10k.

I don't remember that story at all. I remember us saying that we tripled his wage but he can't have been on much at Charlton. £3k a week for a young player in League One would be absolutely extraordinary.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't remember that story at all. I remember us saying that we tripled his wage but he can't have been on much at Charlton. £3k a week for a young player in League One would be absolutely extraordinary.

i agree, average wage in that league is 2k at most. also he was 21 and had only played one full season. 

I like the fact we're after wingers. Especially ones who cut inside. Works well in creating space for Spence and Coulson to overlap. Would also mean Howson could play as a holding midfielder and almost be a defensive Libero who can cover the full backs going forward or drop into a 3 man back line if needed. 

GK - Pears

RB - Spence

CB - Ayala

CB - Fry

LB - Coulson

CM - Howson

CM - McNair

RW - Roberts

AM - Wing

LW - Jones

ST - Fletcher

Even without other additions, that looks far more solid both defensively and creatively. And that's also a little harsh on the likes of Tavernier who'd no doubt be pushing for a place in that side. Assuming Assombalonga leaves, genuine competition for Fletch would be a huge benefit too.

10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I remember reading an article in the summer where Charlton said they couldn’t afford to pay Bowyer £200k per year after he got them promoted so cant see them paying Dijksteel anywhere near that, given he signed his contract in 2017 as an ajax academy drop out.