oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

1 minute ago, Ayresome7 said:

Make no mistake Roberts is a Premier League footballer and would be a fantastic signing. I remember watching him a number of times for Celtic and he was different class. That solo goal he scored in the Champions League against Man City showed what he could potentially do on his day.

If this is indeed the direction the club is moving towards then exciting times ahead.

There’s lots of Celtic fans calling for them to sign him. They seem to think he’s an unbelievable player

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

1 hour ago, xathras said:

Good to see the kind of players we are being linked with. Young, pace, power and players that want to get team football.

Would be interesting if we could get both Maddison and Roberts in that would give us pace on the wingers. A number 10 and support at the back and I think we could be challenging. 

Maddison and Roberts would be brilliant! However I don't think we need a 10. I think a midfield 3 of...

McNair-Howson-Tavernier

... with Wing, Clayton and Saville as backup, is enough for the centre. Enough versatility in there. I honestly think Woodgate is trying to work towards a Liverpool style of play (i.e. no number 10)...

- Full backs creating the width (Spence and Coulson)

- Inside forwards out wide (Maddison, Roberts, Jones, and I'm guessing that is what Browne was supposed to be)

- Energy and legs in the middle of midfield

I think we need:

- 2 wingers/inside forwards

- a centre back

- competition for Fletcher up front if Britt leaves

- competition for Pears in nets if Randolph leaves

Roberts would be the most exciting signing in ages, really pleased about that one.

You have to wonder what on earth went on with those summer signings however, zero impact at all. Was it all bevingtons work?

• Like 1

Great news about Roberts, if true. Super footballer from what I've seen. A poor man's Bernardo Silve.

Potential 1st and 2nd 11 at the end of the window, assuming the rumours are true about Britt, Randolph and Shotton leaving.

1st 11:

-----------------------------Pears-----------------------------

Spence-----------Ayala--------Fry-------------Coulson

-----------McNair-----Howson----Tavernier----------

-----Roberts--------------------------------Maddison----

-------------------------Fletcher------------------------------

2nd 11:

-----------------------------Mejias-----------------------------

Dijksteel-------New CB--------Friend--------------Bola

--------------Wing-----Clayton----Saville-----------------

-----Johnson--------------------------------Browne-------

-------------------------Gestede------------------------------

Add another striker, centre back and maybe a keeper and I think that is a pretty solid looking squad in my opinion.

My prediction is 5 in, 3 out.

12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Maddison and Roberts would be brilliant! However I don't think we need a 10. I think a midfield 3 of...

McNair-Howson-Tavernier

IMO we look pretty poor when we play 3 in midfield. We've looked much better of late with a 2 man midfield with a 10 or the 343 we've been using.

1 minute ago, mendieta420 said:

IMO we look pretty poor when we play 3 in midfield. We've looked much better of late with a 2 man midfield with a 10 or the 343 we've been using.

If we get the 2 wingers in I would imagine we’ll play the 3-4-3

1 minute ago, mendieta420 said:

I agree but I also think that is down to our lack of options on the wing. Add two inside forwards like Maddison and Roberts and I think we will revert to a 4-3-3. Just my opinion.

So if Roberts and Jones do come in and we go with the 3-4-3, it’d look something like this...

—————Pears—————

—Howson—Ayala—Fry—

Spence—McNair—Tav—Coulson

—Roberts—Fletcher—Jones. 

Edited by CWC

I still think it's too early to write off Browne as a winger for us.

He's been injured or stupid for most of the season, but his season at Oxford was good.

Jordan Jones has only really played at a League One level club in Kilmarnock, and left under a cloud, so it would seem harsh not to still give Browne some time.

6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I still think it's too early to write off Browne as a winger for us.

He's been injured or stupid for most of the season, but his season at Oxford was good.

Jordan Jones has only really played at a League One level club in Kilmarnock, and left under a cloud, so it would seem harsh not to still give Browne some time.

JJ didn't leave under a cloud. He decided to leave on a bosman and join rangers 

16 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Roberts would be the most exciting signing in ages, really pleased about that one.

You have to wonder what on earth went on with those summer signings however, zero impact at all. Was it all bevingtons work?

I am starting to wonder if Dijksteel might be better as a centre-mid and whether that means Tony Pulis had a hand in the deal... 😀

Seriously though, Browne might still come good, I think it's early days for all 3 of them but Browne in particular has something about him. Bola and Dijksteel, I'm really not sure. Bola whenever I've seen him has been poor, Dijksteel has had his moments but he's had just as many bad ones.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I am starting to wonder if Dijksteel might be better as a centre-mid and whether that means Tony Pulis had a hand in the deal... 😀

Seriously though, Browne might still come good, I think it's early days for all 3 of them but Browne in particular has something about him. Bola and Dijksteel, I'm really not sure. Bola whenever I've seen him has been poor, Dijksteel has had his moments but he's had just as many bad ones.

When Dijksteel signed I’m sure some Charlton fans mentioned he played well as a defensive midfielder too. The main problem for Dijksteel at Boro seems to be a lack of confidence, he looked really scared to go forward when he played. I’m sure with a longer spell with the team he might improve

1 minute ago, BoroJake said:

When Dijksteel signed I’m sure some Charlton fans mentioned he played well as a defensive midfielder too. The main problem for Dijksteel at Boro seems to be a lack of confidence, he looked really scared to go forward when he played. I’m sure with a longer spell with the team he might improve

From what I've read, he was a defensive midfielder until the last 2 seasons, when bowyer moved him to RB