oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

2 minutes ago, p_mards said:

I think the £4 million fee for Randolph is probably the best that we could have achieved considering West Ham will have been fully aware that we're not in a position to be able to renew Randolph's contract at the current very high wage, therefore we're going to lose him on a free transfer in 18 months time if we don't accept their offer. The same situation applies to Assombalonga as there's no way we can afford to give him another contract at his current salary, so other clubs will know the clock is ticking for us to cash out on him.

Pink Ponce turns a bit "Piers Morgan vs a Greggs vegan sausage roll" at times like this.

This may well be true but maybe we should discuss that and why that's true? Because getting the best deal we can get is not a good deal in this scenario. Getting one of your arms chopped off is probably better than getting two chopped off but neither are good.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

This may well be true but maybe we should discuss that and why that's true? Because getting the best deal we can get is not a good deal in this scenario. Getting one of your arms chopped off is probably better than getting two chopped off but neither are good.

We have financial leprosy, people can moan and debate all they like but if we don't chop off the odd limb we will be in trouble

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Because we don't have any money?

4 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

I hate to think what the comments will be about the fee if Assombalonga is sold.

I think most people will accept that we massively, massively overpaid for him and were never in a million years going to get the money back, let alone make a profit.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

We still owe West Ham money for the original transfer which they've scrubbed off so in effect we got more than £4m for him, but people seem to think we should be selling him for double that or keeping hold of him.

The whole reason we've sold him is to get his wages off the books, keeping him and letting his contract run down so he's worth even less while still paying his wages makes literally no sense but people don't seem to be getting that.

We didn't get more than £4m for him.  And so this is absolutely clear to everyone, doing the deal that way is the worst way to do it for FFP purposes.  It is however the best way to do it so you spend less, which is all this is really about.

I suppose the sense would be that we'd have a much better goalkeeper playing for us than Pears and that he might help us to win more games of football?

On the whole Randolph is worth more than the £5.2m we’re getting for him. 

However, he’s got 18 months left, we can’t afford to renew his contract as he could get much more elsewhere. He’s almost doubled his wage, was offered a move he’s happy with and they were the only club showing an interest in buying him.

It’s an ok deal for us overall. Lets hope Pears keeps up his form

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I think most people will accept that we massively, massively overpaid for him and were never in a million years going to get the money back, let alone make a profit.

You’re overestimating boro fans mate 😂 

54 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

It's a really really poor deal for the club. I really dont see how anyone can argue with that. I can see why theres a  necessity with his wages etc, but were still letting our player of the season for the last couple of years go for less than we signed him for and much less than market value and likely replacing him with a kid who's played a handful of games. It's a huge huge risk.

I'd love to see an example of how it's below market value. 

I suspect he’s the only one of our players that anyone has actually put an offer in for. We wanted the cash and wages off the books so Woodgate can spend where he feels we need strengthening. I think it’s a huge risk but obviously one we are prepared to take. 

I think Britt will stay 

16 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We didn't get more than £4m for him.  And so this is absolutely clear to everyone, doing the deal that way is the worst way to do it for FFP purposes.  It is however the best way to do it so you spend less, which is all this is really about.

I suppose the sense would be that we'd have a much better goalkeeper playing for us than Pears and that he might help us to win more games of football?

As usual you're missing the point. People are up in arms because they think we should be keeping him and letting him go for free in 18 months while paying his wages too.

Please tell me how that makes sense when we desperately need to free up some of the wage bill and hopefully tie a few key players down to new contracts?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

As usual you're missing the point. People are up in arms because they think we should be keeping him and letting him go for free in 18 months while paying his wages too.

Please tell me how that makes sense when we desperately need to free up some of the wage bill and hopefully tie a few key players down to new contracts?

Nobody thinks that.