oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

20 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

i think randy is leaving because we have know pears is class for ages and now hes in the first team he's proven it. gk is the least of our worries on the pitch pears going ot be our number 1 for a decade if we get back in the prem. if not he'll be in the prem withing two years.

Can you name one save he's made that you wouldn't expect a keeper to make?

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Last league game at Preston. Pulled off a worldie on the line down to his left after a header. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

In the summer consensus here was Randolph was valued at 8-10 million 6 months later we've had a bad run as a team he's 6 months deeper and he's devalued as a result I have no issue with 4 million pounds and his wages gone to be honest in this league where you see Carson/Camp/Westwood excel I don't think you need a high earner GK on the books period but maybe I'm more open than most to selling assets we have ASAP because I really believe you don't need 30/40k a week players to get out of this league.

I get why people talk about Howson/Ayala new deals but a priority for me would probably be extending Fletcher he's playing at a level now where worse case he's a sellable asset why not secure him as he enters his last 18 months? No brainer for me.

I can't think of many championship goalkeepers going for £8-10 million, £4-5m is probably about right. He's not a better keeper than Ryan, Foster, Dubravka, Heaton, Fabianski, Krul etc. and they were all between £3-7mill

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm in the sign a senior GK camp it's still early to declare Pears infallible but unlike Steele/Ripley he doesn't have Turnbull's resemblance in body type, he has the same GK coach as Schwarzer and he's definitely grown in presence as the month went on it's not like he's shrinking as the pressure mounts. I think there's maybe been one goal (I think 1 of the Leeds goals) where you look and go he could have done better with it, the save he made vs Stoke from McLean that Clucas tapped the rebound in was pretty decent I think he's stretched down low well vs WBA/Preston as well. He's facing 20-30 crosses a game concentrating on timing/positioning has generally been spot on I'd put Pears down as a so far so good looks promising but just in case there's a rough patch I do want a solid GK like Foderingham brought in.

• Like 1

losing the big aussie was a massive issue. i remember thinking oh my god what are we doing. i also remember thinking steel was going to be decent. but he was found out real quick. steel(ahem pears) is far better than him. 

7 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Last league game at Preston. Pulled off a worldie on the line down to his left after a header. 

Unless this "worldie" is randomly missing from the highlights, I'm not seeing it.

The Preston keeper made a lot of impressive saves though.

9 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I'm in the sign a senior GK camp it's still early to declare Pears infallible but unlike Steele/Ripley he doesn't have Turnbull's resemblance in body type, he has the same GK coach as Schwarzer and he's definitely grown in presence as the month went on it's not like he's shrinking as the pressure mounts. I think there's maybe been one goal (I think 1 of the Leeds goals) where you look and go he could have done better with it, the save he made vs Stoke from McLean that Clucas tapped the rebound in was pretty decent I think he's stretched down low well vs WBA/Preston as well. He's facing 20-30 crosses a game concentrating on timing/positioning has generally been spot on I'd put Pears down as a so far so good looks promising but just in case there's a rough patch I do want a solid GK like Foderingham brought in.

This is my point.

He's done well, but I've yet to see anything to indicate he's outstanding.  I hope he is.

Talk of him being a Premier League player in 2 years if we don't go up is massively jumping the gun.

A lot of that may be down to the fact that we've limited a lot of opposition for proper attempts on our goal, but even just watching the highlights against Preston he struggled to hold the ball from any shots and might have conceded if a Preston player hadn't decided to use his hand.

20 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I get why people talk about Howson/Ayala new deals but a priority for me would probably be extending Fletcher he's playing at a level now where worse case he's a sellable asset why not secure him as he enters his last 18 months? No brainer for me.

He was signed from a PL team for decent money when we were just handing daft contracts to anyone and everyone so he'll be on decent wages as it is I would have thought, we might not be able to offer him the kind of contract he would want.

20 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I wonder what Fletcher's wage is, we signed him for 7m but he was pretty much a youth player at the time, for some reason I can imagine us giving him a ridiculous contract when we bought him...

4 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I wonder what Fletcher's wage is, we signed him for 7m but he was pretty much a youth player at the time, for some reason I can imagine us giving him a ridiculous contract when we bought him...

IIRC Fletcher isn't in the "ridiculous wages" camp.