oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

To go back to the original topic though, I'd rather we didn't extend Shotton's contract and let him go.  £15k per week or more, it's still a decent chunk of money to risk being stuck with the player for another year.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Of course that's what some players do, I'm not disputing that and that has nothing to do with my point.  You still have to pay the £2000 signing on fee is my point.  Say the contract at the council is for 1 year then you could just as easily offer a pay rise to £538 per week for the year with no signing on fee and you are paying the same amount as £500 with a £2000 signing on fee.  You still have to pay whatever the person wants to be paid, it's still in your accounts as wages, it's just a different method of the money being paid out.  I can only guess there's some tax benefit to a signing on fee otherwise it makes absolutely no difference at all.

It's probably a benefit to the players if they leave during there contact. 

I see the football accountants are out in force tonight.  I would assume most fans could not give two hoots as to the make up of a players salary package. I would also assume the majority of fans chatting on a fans forum have no idea to the facts and figures of individual players packages. As a Boro fan I want the best for our club but have no interest in the minutia of players wages, as long as the player is good enough and the club can afford him I'm more than happy.

• Like 1
Just now, Gilling Red said:

I see the football accountants are out in force tonight.  I would assume most fans could not give two hoots as to the make up of a players salary package. I would also assume the majority of fans chatting on a fans forum have no idea to the facts and figures of individual players packages. As a Boro fan I want the best for our club but have no interest in the minutia of players wages, as long as the player is good enough and the club can afford him I'm more than happy.

Don't read it then, makes no difference to me.  Players being good enough and whether the club can afford them are one of the reasons we're 17th in league.  You'd think that would be obvious but some people still don't seem to get it.  I'd prefer if this stuff wasn't important as well but it is and while it is, I'm going to take an interest in it.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Gilling Red said:

And we are where we are because the players haven't been good enough and the club can't afford them. 

Regarding Shotton, apparently like Gibson has apparently done with Downing, the Stoke board are keen to see Shotton return to the club, see him ending career there and having further role as coach/scout/ recruiter of local talent around the Potteries, however their views are in consistent opposition to the views of multiple managers, but O’neil Is apparently more open to this but as a quid pro quo for signings in the summer.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

so we are in the same boat as everybody else then

Hope the boat sea worthy and powered as Boro often sail in creaks without paddles and at times self made holes below the water line. 😂

4 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

the one consolation is that Sunderland are still further along the creek than us ...for now

Aye, at Sunderland the cry went up when the ship started sinking to “Bail Out” From the owner downwards everyone who could took that literally. 😂

sadly like at all clubs it’s the fans who end up wading through the creak to save the ship.