oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

There is no interest in Britt from Leeds but some clubs in Championship have watched him. Surprisingly Fletcher was on their list for a number of years going back to his time at Man Utd and if it wasnt for us overpaying at the time he would have gone to Elland Road. They decided to sign Tyler Roberts instead.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

There is no interest in Britt from Leeds but some clubs in Championship have watched him. Surprisingly Fletcher was on their list for a number of years going back to his time at Man Utd and if it wasnt for us overpaying at the time he would have gone to Elland Road. They decided to sign Tyler Roberts instead.

Maybe that's why we handed West Ham a blank cheque, it would be nice to get a proper explanation as to why we did that.

17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Maybe that's why we handed West Ham a blank cheque, it would be nice to get a proper explanation as to why we did that.

6 Million quid.. We probably overpaid by 1-2 million for a young English player with a load of potential, which I think we're seeing this season. Going by some of todays transfer fees I'm not even sure that we overpaid that much especially if we're saying Fry is worth over 10m, Tav over 10m etc.

15 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

6 Million quid.. We probably overpaid by 1-2 million for a young English player with a load of potential, which I think we're seeing this season. Going by some of todays transfer fees I'm not even sure that we overpaid that much especially if we're saying Fry is worth over 10m, Tav over 10m etc.

Literally nobody thought Fletcher might be worth that much until maybe towards the end of last season. Even when he started picking up last season, nobody thought he was worth £6.5m. Obviously delighted the young lad is seemingly coming through now but he wasn't brought in as a young prospect, he was brought in as a first-team player and he was so far from his current level 2.5 years ago. I really don't think we paid £6.5m to wait 2 years for Fletch to come good.

The problem being we now need one to just replace Fry outright rather than freeing up McNair or Howson for midfield.

Hopefully the injuries aren't too bad and just precautionary subs given they were knocks that were only gonna get worse.

I would only sign players if I was Woodgate who are eyed long term either longer term loans who could carry through to next season or if a scouted target is available and you think it could be worked out permanently in the summer then do it but I really don't understand the prioritising of Gibson right now when we're going nowhere this season with or without him seems like burning cash unnecessarily.

Here's a scenario we're staring at in the summer that is pretty mindblowing if we can not or choose not to renew Friend/Ayala/Shotton the only recognised senior CB we're left with will be Fry so we'll have to sign maybe what 3 CBs in the summer?

Then Johnson walks as well with Gestede, I mean in this scenario we probably need to sign a minimum of 9 players to replace all of the gaps we'd be left with given even with these players we have gaping gaps in our books.

That's a reason I'm very sceptical of taking on a vanity thing like Gibson when we are going to end the season probably 15-20 points off 6th and the scale of the recruitment required in the summer is mindblowing you're talking potentially needing 3 CBs maybe a utility fullback/wingback on top of that, minimum 2 wingers but probably 3 are needed then at least 1 striker replacing Gestede+Nmecha but that's without a Britt replacement on top of us probably eyeing a Clayton replacement this summer this is assuming we resign Howson otherwise we probably need 2 new midfielders.

The task is massive and I do not get how bringing back Gibson helps us with that we'll need to use every penny of the budget to flesh out our squad it's not quite the trialist A B C D E days of Mogga but the scale will be similar if we want to do it right.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I would only sign players if I was Woodgate who are eyed long term either longer term loans who could carry through to next season or if a scouted target is available and you think it could be worked out permanently in the summer then do it but I really don't understand the prioritising of Gibson right now when we're going nowhere this season with or without him seems like burning cash unnecessarily.

Here's a scenario we're staring at in the summer that is pretty mindblowing if we can not or choose not to renew Friend/Ayala/Shotton the only recognised senior CB we're left with will be Fry so we'll have to sign maybe what 3 CBs in the summer?

Then Johnson walks as well with Gestede, I mean in this scenario we probably need to sign a minimum of 9 players to replace all of the gaps we'd be left with given even with these players we have gaping gaps in our books.

That's a reason I'm very sceptical of taking on a vanity thing like Gibson when we are going to end the season probably 15-20 points off 6th and the scale of the recruitment required in the summer is mindblowing you're talking potentially needing 3 CBs maybe a utility fullback/wingback on top of that, minimum 2 wingers but probably 3 are needed then at least 1 striker replacing Gestede+Nmecha but that's without a Britt replacement on top of us probably eyeing a Clayton replacement this summer this is assuming we resign Howson otherwise we probably need 2 new midfielders.

The task is massive and I do not get how bringing back Gibson helps us with that we'll need to use every penny of the budget to flesh out our squad it's not quite the trialist A B C D E days of Mogga but the scale will be similar if we want to do it right.

you'd better write all this in a letter to the club, they probably haven't realised

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

what if we sigh Gibson for 6m on a 10 year contract and on 10k a week? 😄

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

I can totally see Bamford coming back to Boro in the summer if Leeds are promoted as don't think he'll get a chance in the premiership.

So we can fix his career for the third time...