• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jamie-H said:

I would only sign players if I was Woodgate who are eyed long term either longer term loans who could carry through to next season or if a scouted target is available and you think it could be worked out permanently in the summer then do it but I really don't understand the prioritising of Gibson right now when we're going nowhere this season with or without him seems like burning cash unnecessarily.

Here's a scenario we're staring at in the summer that is pretty mindblowing if we can not or choose not to renew Friend/Ayala/Shotton the only recognised senior CB we're left with will be Fry so we'll have to sign maybe what 3 CBs in the summer?

Then Johnson walks as well with Gestede, I mean in this scenario we probably need to sign a minimum of 9 players to replace all of the gaps we'd be left with given even with these players we have gaping gaps in our books.

That's a reason I'm very sceptical of taking on a vanity thing like Gibson when we are going to end the season probably 15-20 points off 6th and the scale of the recruitment required in the summer is mindblowing you're talking potentially needing 3 CBs maybe a utility fullback/wingback on top of that, minimum 2 wingers but probably 3 are needed then at least 1 striker replacing Gestede+Nmecha but that's without a Britt replacement on top of us probably eyeing a Clayton replacement this summer this is assuming we resign Howson otherwise we probably need 2 new midfielders.

The task is massive and I do not get how bringing back Gibson helps us with that we'll need to use every penny of the budget to flesh out our squad it's not quite the trialist A B C D E days of Mogga but the scale will be similar if we want to do it right.

If Gibson is available in the wage structure and for the right price he is definitely a long term investment given hes a 27 year old defender and will still have the best part of a decade left in him.

I also think we will resign Ayala and Howson on better contracts for us.

If we take those opinions into account we have:

3 keepers already to fight it out for #1 in Pears, Stojanovic and Meijas.

We will have 4 wing/full backs available at the start of next season - Bola, Coulson, Dijksteel, Spence - without counting youngsters like Reading who may be able to step in worst case next term, so I can't see us getting another in.

Even if we get Gibbo in, we would probably need another CB,  which would leave us with a 4 of Fry Ayala Gibbo and A.N. Other. You also have Wood, McNair and Howson as cover if need be, alongside people like Stubbs who could be used in a pinch if he doesnt go out on loan again.

In centre midfield I think Clayton is going to be gone while we can make some money on him, which leaves Wing, Saville, Howson, McNair who can all play there, plus Liddle as cover and Tav could be asked to play a deeper role if need be.

In the forward three you will have Tav, Fletch, Roberts, if the rumour of us wanting to extend his loan are true, Browne and Britt if he stays (though I think he goes). Walker with another year under his belt, plus again players from the U23s if we need cover. This seems like the area we are gonna have to cover most.

‐-----------‐--------‐---

We will need to rebuild in the summer due to contracts coming to an end with high earners and things but I dont see 9 players needing to be bought, that number seems very "worst case scenario" to me. As things currently stand:

2xCBs (3 if Ayala goes)

1xCM (if Howson goes)

3 or 4x Attackers - depending if we can find a buyer for Britt since we are shopping him about (1/2 out and out striker(s), 2 wingers/inside forwards)

That's a maximum of 8 but I don't see Ayala and Howson leaving, which takes you down to 6. If we get another 2 signings in during this window, as Woody has suggested, and if they are both permanent, we may only be looking at 3/4 players in during the summer, which is much more manageable. 

Edited by OldManGravz
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I would only sign players if I was Woodgate who are eyed long term either longer term loans who could carry through to next season or if a scouted target is available and you think it could be worked out permanently in the summer then do it but I really don't understand the prioritising of Gibson right now when we're going nowhere this season with or without him seems like burning cash unnecessarily.

Here's a scenario we're staring at in the summer that is pretty mindblowing if we can not or choose not to renew Friend/Ayala/Shotton the only recognised senior CB we're left with will be Fry so we'll have to sign maybe what 3 CBs in the summer?

Then Johnson walks as well with Gestede, I mean in this scenario we probably need to sign a minimum of 9 players to replace all of the gaps we'd be left with given even with these players we have gaping gaps in our books.

That's a reason I'm very sceptical of taking on a vanity thing like Gibson when we are going to end the season probably 15-20 points off 6th and the scale of the recruitment required in the summer is mindblowing you're talking potentially needing 3 CBs maybe a utility fullback/wingback on top of that, minimum 2 wingers but probably 3 are needed then at least 1 striker replacing Gestede+Nmecha but that's without a Britt replacement on top of us probably eyeing a Clayton replacement this summer this is assuming we resign Howson otherwise we probably need 2 new midfielders.

The task is massive and I do not get how bringing back Gibson helps us with that we'll need to use every penny of the budget to flesh out our squad it's not quite the trialist A B C D E days of Mogga but the scale will be similar if we want to do it right.

If we sign Gibson then he's clearly viewed as one of the long term signings.  We won't be signing him on loan for the sake of a loan.  If we move for him it will be either as a permanent signing or with a view to it being a permanent signing in the summer.  Either way he'll be here long term and he is therefore one of the central defenders we need.  I'm not bothered about Shotton or Friend, they obviously need to be replaced but Friend has hardly played at all this season and Shotton isn't that good.  I'd be giving Wood more game time between now and the end of the season to see how he goes with a view to having him play a bigger role next season. 

Most of the players who will be leaving we want to leave.  They aren't good enough, they contribute too little and they cost us far too much.  Gestede we want gone and he's another who had hardly played over the last two years.  Johnson is no more than a lower level Championship player, a squad filler at most who we overpaid for.  If we're replacing Assombalonga and Clayton then that could only be because we've sold them in which case we should have some money to spend.  In Clayton's case, we are overstocked in midfield as it is so we should be looking to sell one of them - he was on the bench tonight and we had two central midfielders playing at the back. 

The squad isn't as thin as it's made out to be.  Players who didn't start for us tonight - Mejias, Stojanovic, Ayala, Shotton, Friend, Bola, Coulson, Dijksteel, Clayton, Tavernier, Browne, Assombalonga.  We lack quality more than we lack numbers, specifically in attacking positions.  I'm less concerned about us fleshing out the squad in the summer as I am about us adding some good first team players.

1 minute ago, Old Codger said:

if we are still looking for a winger, that duck from yesterday could fit the bill

Quite versatile, plays on both wings but the bill might be too much to pay.

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Bit cryptic this morning so I apologise.... message I have recieved overnight when I asked about ins and out was the the following.. everyone has a price... in and out... cant say much more... YET

I'd interprete that to expect us to sell players like Fry or Britt but hopefully not Tav though.

9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Brum will be happy, Bellingham is subject of a £30m bid from United! Everyone has their price but goodness me, that's one hell of a price for him!

Tav's gotta be worth £20m then.

Didn't see much of bellingham , he didtnt look that good tbh.

I feel like the best thing we could do this transfer window is tie Ayala down to a new deal. We need a CB for the foreseeable future rather than spending money in someone till the end of the season.