oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I wouldn't worry, we are probably looking at a finish of somewhere between about 10th and 18th. I'm sure we'll have enough points and good players to stay away from the bottom 3. 

For me it's going to be a season of midtable mediocrity regardless of who we sign. To be honest I'd rather be looking at developing the players we have. Unless we are loaning players with a view to extending the loan beyond the end of the season or signing them permanently. 

Loans until May are pretty pointless in my opinion. 

We're not guaranteed to stay up, and attempting to coast home could quickly see us dragged right back in.

With no fit senior defenders, things could quickly get dicey.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Just can't get behind the idea of giving up on making a better side because we will probably finish mid-table. That was the likelihood at the start of the season too. Might as well not bother playing at all.

Not to mention we need those players even just to be able to fill out a damn squad that has some actual options on the bench. If our injury record stays this bad we'll be fielding our full u23s by the end of the year!

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

It happens, for a variety of reasons.

That is kind of the point I was trying to make. As someone else said previously its very easy to draw up lists of who to get rid of. But the actual real world practicalities and implications are far more complex than we give credit for. There are so many factors to consider when talking about the club trying to offload a player.

Agree Wilson, let's keep improving the team, the style of play, build confidence to carry forward to next season, lets entertain the fans with attractive football, front foot forward, not just sitting still which in essence is going backwards in football.

Let's get a couple of good defenders in and play the formation Woody wants and not just make do because we have no other options. 

Edited by Maccarone
  • Like 2

Don't get this "loans are a waste if money" thing. We have to pay wages to players here. We don't have enough players. We aren't guaranteed to stay up. We aren't guaranteed not to finish top 6. Play the best you can. Finish as high as you can. Don't annoy the fans by accepting 19th when they have paid for season tickets to watch a full season. Finish high and make us a more attractive club for players who may want to sign next season. 

• Like 5
33 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Just can't get behind the idea of giving up on making a better side because we will probably finish mid-table. That was the likelihood at the start of the season too. Might as well not bother playing at all.

It's not about us 'not trying to improve' but its balancing out short term success with giving opportunities to the young players and putting the club in a better position financially. 

I certainly won't be worrying about it. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

All quiet today it seems... that said I'm  not sure what I'm being told lately is correct or not...72hrs to go.

I'm sure there will be a few mistruths flying around, during these times. Your info (right or wrong) is always welcome though.

27 minutes ago, Duvel said:

It's not about us 'not trying to improve' but its balancing out short term success with giving opportunities to the young players and putting the club in a better position financially. 

I certainly won't be worrying about it. 

The right loan deal won't leave us over a barrel though, financially. Gibson, maybe, I've said my bit on that too but by all means, we can still improve the team whilst giving opportunities to young players. I think we should be delighted with what we've brought through just this season already but I'd rather not just be playing the U23s. There has to be a balance. Specifically when we're talking about centre-back, if we continue with the formation that's working for us, Wood, McNair and Howson are the 3 centre-backs if nobody is back from injury. That means the likes of Hood and Dale on the side-lines awaiting their chance, lads who haven't even been given a squad number. That's not where we want to be in the short-term.

39 minutes ago, Tudders80 said:

Don't get this "loans are a waste if money" thing. We have to pay wages to players here. We don't have enough players. We aren't guaranteed to stay up. We aren't guaranteed not to finish top 6. Play the best you can. Finish as high as you can. Don't annoy the fans by accepting 19th when they have paid for season tickets to watch a full season. Finish high and make us a more attractive club for players who may want to sign next season. 

Spot on. Duvel's alright, he gave up his season ticket this season so he's not bothered anyway. 😅

1 hour ago, LinoJo3 said:
2 hours ago, TLF10 said:

The window so far imo has been relatively successful.

Shifted a high earner of wage bill, got a good fee for him and got a replacement for a quarter of that fee.

Bought 2 players for the attacking 3rd of the pitch we needed who on early signs will make a significant contribution.

Get even 1 CB in and i think all things considered it will have been a good window.

I agree with this, our best January window since 2016.

Because we loaned two players, bought one player who may or may not be any good and sold one of our best players?  I'm not disagreeing, just saying how low the bar has been set if that's all we need for a good window!