Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
SmogDane

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

And he was watching John Bishop at the town hall with Danny Coyne on Thursday. Busy guy!

He should see if he can spare 5 mins to do some coaching 🙃

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Marvin Johnson's contract is up in June 2020. No one will pay money for him in January.

His contract could be for another 3 years and I doubt you'd get anyone to pay anything for him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He should see if he can spare 5 mins to do some coaching 🙃

I think Woody saw him play in Soccer Aid, thought he was worth a punt

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nunthorpered said:

Clayton, Randolph, Johnson and anyone who will pay money for Saville. Again will people pay what the club want for them?

You'd think it must be more than just them?  Johnson isn't worth anything.  We'll have a job shifting Clayton as his wages have gone up as his performance levels have come down.  Saville couldn't be moved in the summer and that just leaves Randolph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question:

Would people sell Fry this window? 

Last window everybody seemed to go raving mad about rumors of Fry leaving for (was it 15m £?) ... Now that he has underperformed.. what is he worth? 

Should we have taken the 2 figure millions last window? 

Will he be better in the new year to come, so we should keep him? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't sell Fry, Tavernier, Coulson or any of the younger lads if it's at all possible.  We've got several players out of contract in the summer so selling the younger lot just leaves us with even more players to find and they should be on lower wages relative to other players we have at the moment as well so we're not even dealing with the annual wage bill either really.  If we sell Fry and we lose Ayala and Shotton when their contracts are up in the summer then we're having to replace all of our central defenders at the same time.

Mind you, transfermarkt says that Browne, Bola, Coulson and Pears are also out of contract.  We'll have options to extend them though you'd think?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Mind you, transfermarkt says that Browne, Bola, Coulson and Pears are also out of contract.  We'll have options to extend them though you'd think?

If we want to extend them? Browne in particular has been hugely disappointing (admittedly only four months into his time here, but long enough to see what he came with), and Bola and Pears don't instil me with confidence either.

Agree with not selling Fry and Tav. If a number of senior players leave in the next year (as seems likely), we'll be heavily reliant on their relative experience compared to the real kids in our squad.

That said, surely we don't need to sell every senior player in the squad - Randolph, Britt, Fry, Ayala etc? We still haven't replaced Ramirez, or Gibson, or Traore, so I very much doubt we'd respond any better to the next round of senior departures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

If we want to extend them? Browne in particular has been hugely disappointing (admittedly only four months into his time here, but long enough to see what he came with), and Bola and Pears don't instil me with confidence either.

Agree with not selling Fry and Tav. If a number of senior players leave in the next year (as seems likely), we'll be heavily reliant on their relative experience compared to the real kids in our squad.

That said, surely we don't need to sell every senior player in the squad - Randolph, Britt, Fry, Ayala etc? We still haven't replaced Ramirez, or Gibson, or Traore, so I very much doubt we'd respond any better to the next round of senior departures.

If we go down, none of those players will stay. Either because we won't be able to afford their wages or because they won't want to play in League 1.

We definitely need to be tying down the likes of Browne, Bola, Pears etc as they've all played in League 1 or the equivalent and will be important players should we find ourselves playing there next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Woodgate confirming Dijksteel is now going to be out until March does anyone think we will be looking at a new right back in Jan?

I can see us targeting a utility type defender on a 6 month loan deal who can play a number of positions in the mould of Martin Craine/Frazer Richardson (remember him). Think we were linked with Kieron Freeman a few weeks ago who has not made a single appearance for Sheff Utd this season so can certainly see him coming in Jan.

we only have 2 fit centre backs as well at the moment as well but i think Shotton will be back end of Dec so cant see us targeting another defender in Jan and i would rather focus on top end of pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TLF10 said:

With Woodgate confirming Dijksteel is now going to be out until March does anyone think we will be looking at a new right back in Jan?

I can see us targeting a utility type defender on a 6 month loan deal who can play a number of positions in the mould of Martin Craine/Frazer Richardson (remember him). Think we were linked with Kieron Freeman a few weeks ago who has not made a single appearance for Sheff Utd this season so can certainly see him coming in Jan.

we only have 2 fit centre backs as well at the moment as well but i think Shotton will be back end of Dec so cant see us targeting another defender in Jan and i would rather focus on top end of pitch.

Please disregard the above post in its entirety. Think we might be ok for a right back 😊

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Please disregard the above post in its entirety. Think we might be ok for a right back 😊

Agreed, though hes only one game in. Hope he builds from this game and does as well as Hayden on the other side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a transformation that would be if we were able to play 3 5 2 with actual wingbacks. We might actually start scoring from wide play for the first time in eons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard we are preparing bids for Johnson Clarke Harris (Bristol rovers) and Randell Williams (Exeter) . This is exactly sums up where we are heading taking chances on lower league players.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...