oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

14 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Stuani was used effectively by karanka. We had a weakness in the wing positions and he did a very solid job out there. Yes hes better as a striker but we always had decent central forwards so he played where he was needed and scored a lot of important goals for us despite being out of position. 

He can't have been used that effectively, he didn't even start half the games we had while he was here and he only scored 11 league goals across the two seasons, which is ok but no more than that.  I thought he was the best finisher at the club while he was here mind 👍

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Because in a Boro shirt he wasn't.  What does it matter what he's done since he left us, if when he was here with us he wasn't especially good?  His spell here, for us, was nothing to write home about and if you didn't know who the players were then you'd never know there was any difference between them.  If I'm judging our signings I have to judge them on what they do in a Boro shirt not somewhere else - I'm not gonna judge Saville based on what he did in a Millwall shirt or what he does after/if he leaves us.  I think it's also fair to say that some players don't suit certain types of football.  I always felt that the Premier League was too quick for de Roon and it might be that playing elsewhere is better for him.  He did start against Stoke on his debut as the deepest midfielder but looked completely off the pace until he was injured.  The injury probably didn't help him but it seems kinda telling that when he came back, Karanka preferred not to play him in that role.  

All you've done mate is highlight exactly how *** terribly we used De Roon while he was here.

He came from Atalanta nicknamed the Wave Breaker for his defensive abilities, only to be played as a Box to Box player while here. Goes back to Atalanta, goes back to his usual DM role and is now a full international and champions league player.

De Roons problem was his usage here, not his talent level. He was far and away the best CM we had at the club and it's not even a contest.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

All you've done mate is highlight exactly how *** terribly we used De Roon while he was here.

He came from Atalanta nicknamed the Wave Breaker for his defensive abilities, only to be played as a Box to Box player while here. Goes back to Atalanta, goes back to his usual DM role and is now a full international and champions league player.

De Roons problem was his usage here, not his talent level. He was far and away the best CM we had at the club and it's not even a contest.

I was one of his critics aswell. I gladly took the flak from non boro mates. Got crucified haha

3 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

Actual transfer news 👇🏼

Was there meant to be a link there or something; or is it just a representation of how there is no actual transfer news at the minute?!

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I didn't think it was an especially long paragraph tbh nor am I trying to be right any more than you are 😐  We're not gonna do this again are we where you can post whatever you like but I'm not allowed to?

Karanka picked him where he felt he was best.  You'd have to ask Karanka why he did that. I think he did it because he believed him to be too slow to play as a holding midfielder in the Premier League and I base that on the few times that he played there and could hardly get into the game.  He didn't look like a wavebreaker or anything else on those occasions.  He looked overwhelmed in my opinion.

He didn't play like he was far and away the best midfielder we had, which is what matters to me when I'm judging a signing for this club.  I know Gestede has played better for other teams for example but I think he's been an awful signing for us however.  What de Roon does elsewhere won't change the year he had here, which wasn't particularly good in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Oh god

Not the Stuani debate again please have mercy.

First it went all "Grand Desgins" in here last night with gibsons new house, now this.the office no GIF

It always happens on the transfer window thread because most of the time there is nothing happening.  It's what makes the transfer thread so much fun!

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I didn't think it was an especially long paragraph tbh nor am I trying to be right any more than you are 😐  We're not gonna do this again are we where you can post whatever you like but I'm not allowed to?

Karanka picked him where he felt he was best.  You'd have to ask Karanka why he did that. I think he did it because he believed him to be too slow to play as a holding midfielder in the Premier League and I base that on the few times that he played there and could hardly get into the game.  He didn't look like a wavebreaker or anything else on those occasions.  He looked overwhelmed in my opinion.

He didn't play like he was far and away the best midfielder we had, which is what matters to me when I'm judging a signing for this club.  I know Gestede has played better for other teams for example but I think he's been an awful signing for us however.  What de Roon does elsewhere won't change the year he had here, which wasn't particularly good in my opinion.

and you know why he didn't look particularly good? Because he wasn't playing in his natural position.

As you stated he got less than a full game to acclimate to the speed of the PL before getting injured and not getting another sniff.

Before Boro: Great

During Boro: Average

After Boro: Great

Now; is that more likely to be all of his other seasons that are the anomalies, or maybe that he was horribly misused here and therefore didn't look as good as he actually is? Not taking a players prior/post Boro performances into account if they're both significantly better than when he was here is bizarre.

And you're welcome to your opinion, of course you are. I just think your opinion is entirely the wrong way of looking at things. 🙂

8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It always happens on the transfer window thread because most of the time there is nothing happening.  It's what makes the transfer thread so much fun!

Fair enough, I might as well start a new conversation topic at least.

Shag/marry/kill?

Neil Warnock

Nigel Pearson

Alan Pardew

1 minute ago, Smogzilla said:

Fair enough, I might as well start a new conversation topic at least.

Shag/marry/kill?

Neil Warnock

Nigel Pearson

Alan Pardew

Shag

Shag

Shag

Am I doing it right?

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

and you know why he didn't look particularly good? Because he wasn't playing in his natural position.

As you stated he got less than a full game to acclimate to the speed of the PL before getting injured and not getting another sniff.

Before Boro: Great

During Boro: Average

After Boro: Great

Now; is that more likely to be all of his other seasons that are the anomalies, or maybe that he was horribly misused here and therefore didn't look as good as he actually is? Not taking a players prior/post Boro performances into account if they're both significantly better than when he was here is bizarre.

And you're welcome to your opinion, of course you are. I just think your opinion is entirely the wrong way of looking at things. 🙂

All of his other seasons?  How many very good seasons as he had like?  From what I can see he's been better since he left us as opposed to beforehand  He became more of a regular in the Dutch national side in 2018 and this season is the first season he has played in the Champions League.  So what about him was great prior to that?  This is what I'm talking about, he's doing well now but he's doing well in a different style of football two/three years after leaving us.  For us, in a Boro shirt, he wasn't that good and that has to be the basis on which we judge a Boro signing, doesn't it?  It does to me anyway.