Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
SmogDane

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

I literally couldn't think of a worse signing if I was a Stoke fan. I've loved George for us but his best days are well behind him and he's had a lot of injuries. 

The story doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

It makes me wonder if someone's wires got crossed. Someone says Stoke after an injured Boro defender and someone else suggests Friend rather than Shotton. I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Stoke wanted to buy Friend. The lad might not play again this season and another team wants to buy him? Makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the most important thing with transfers is the wage burden we take on. Wages are all dead money, at least with a transfer fee we should be able to make most of it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

on footballs moved more these days. to right they do. they get smacked all over compared to the old mitres when i was a kid. watch old games, the balls coming in are not nearly as hard for keeper to take as these days.

True, I played in the late 80s, 90s and 00s at a decent level. I remember in around 2004 our team getting the new premier league balls which were really expensive and they were completely different because they moved so much quicker through the air. 

I usually took free kicks if the distance was somewhere around the edge of the box, anything further out than about 25 yards and I couldnt get enough power/ pace on the ball to trouble a keeper. However I remember testing these new balls out and I was hitting them like a rocket from 30 yards out, they weren't always accurate but the ability to make the ball fly quicker and having it dip mid flight changed completely. 

I watch the speed the ball moves at nowadays and I'm not surprised that keepers can't always hold the ball. It's a completely different ball to what Aynsley Pears' Dad faced.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It makes me wonder if someone's wires got crossed. Someone says Stoke after an injured Boro defender and someone else suggests Friend rather than Shotton. I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Stoke wanted to buy Friend. The lad might not play again this season and another team wants to buy him? Makes no sense.

Yeah it makes no sense at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It makes me wonder if someone's wires got crossed. Someone says Stoke after an injured Boro defender and someone else suggests Friend rather than Shotton. I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Stoke wanted to buy Friend. The lad might not play again this season and another team wants to buy him? Makes no sense.

He's back in light training apparently along with Shotts but yeah still baffling, surely just lazy journalism?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Duvel said:

True, I played in the late 80s, 90s and 00s at a decent level. I remember in around 2004 our team getting the new premier league balls which were really expensive and they were completely different because they moved so much quicker through the air. 

I usually took free kicks if the distance was somewhere around the edge of the box, anything further out than about 25 yards and I couldnt get enough power/ pace on the ball to trouble a keeper. However I remember testing these new balls out and I was hitting them like a rocket from 30 yards out, they weren't always accurate but the ability to make the ball fly quicker and having it dip mid flight changed completely. 

I watch the speed the ball moves at nowadays and I'm not surprised that keepers can't always hold the ball. It's a completely different ball to what Aynsley Pears' Dad faced.  

When I moved to senior school I was selected to play and wanted to impress. It was raining heavily and the pitch cut up so badly with puddles forming everywhere. Young and proud to wear the shirt I ran around like a rabid dog chasing everything, until knocked out by lead weighted toe ended leather casy that left lace marks on my forehead for a week. 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes these new ballsanyone can smack em. back in the day you needed thighs like tree trucks and cannonball calves to make a decent shot from range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re linked with a loan move for Reece Oxford according to Football Insider. Currently plays for Augsburg in Germany but has only featured 8 times. VVV Venlo apparently want him on loan too.

not sure what happened to him but he was tipped for big things. I’d be happy with this, hopwfully he can rediscover his form. A good ball playing centre half, quick and athletic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

We’re linked with a loan move for Reece Oxford according to Football Insider. Currently plays for Augsburg in Germany but has only featured 8 times. VVV Venlo apparently want him on loan too.

not sure what happened to him but he was tipped for big things. I’d be happy with this, hopwfully he can rediscover his form. A good ball playing centre half, quick and athletic.

I swear reece oxford was mentioned here a few days ago. Wouldn’t surprise me if they swiped it straight from here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

We’re linked with a loan move for Reece Oxford according to Football Insider. Currently plays for Augsburg in Germany but has only featured 8 times. VVV Venlo apparently want him on loan too.

not sure what happened to him but he was tipped for big things. I’d be happy with this, hopwfully he can rediscover his form. A good ball playing centre half, quick and athletic.

He's 6 months into his 4 year contract at Augsburg. I think its strange that they have signed him, after having him on loan and then plan on loaning him out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BoroJake said:

I swear reece oxford was mentioned here a few days ago. Wouldn’t surprise me if they swiped it straight from here

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-middlesbrough-set-sights-on-signing-west-ham-academy-product/

Seems legit they have it sourced Boro side they also say we've watched him for a while and thought about buying him from West Ham last summer. I'd trust Oxford in a 3 man defence as the ball player and if it's between us and VVV Venlo I like our chances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-middlesbrough-set-sights-on-signing-west-ham-academy-product/

Seems legit they have it sourced Boro side they also say we've watched him for a while and thought about buying him from West Ham last summer. I'd trust Oxford in a 3 man defence as the ball player and if it's between us and VVV Venlo I like our chances.

I mentioned him when it appeared that VVV Venlo was looking to bring him to Holland. Seem to remember we were also linked in the summer before he moved. He only cost Augsburg about 1,5 million pounds so I'd be fairly happy with a loan including a purchase option. Can't imagine they'd want a big profit if they are already ready to loan him out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-middlesbrough-set-sights-on-signing-west-ham-academy-product/

Seems legit they have it sourced Boro side they also say we've watched him for a while and thought about buying him from West Ham last summer. I'd trust Oxford in a 3 man defence as the ball player and if it's between us and VVV Venlo I like our chances.

Could even be part of the Randolph deal having them give us first option on him, whether by means of a loan or permanent signing this month or in the summer.

We could do with an experienced defender but if it's a choice between trudging along trying to scrape together the pennies for Gibson or what I would suspect would be a significantly cheaper option with Oxford, I'd prefer the latter right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • Agree with Sandy..  we are inconsistent but some of that is relative inexperience and hopefully that will decrease. Hopefully we can get a few more U23's out on loan to push them on a bit and fill the squad up for next year..  we have the makings of a good team and if we can get the final pieces of the jigsaw, then we will be there or thereabouts . Would also like to mention that discipline seems to have improved significantly, halfway through season and only one red card, which was rightly overturned and most of the yellows were for "proper" fouls rather than dissent or other daft stuff..  Sam will always be Sam but having watched Souness, Kennedy, Glover, Hammy, Boam and other nasty boys, he is very mild compared to them and I think all good teams have someone like him, so I think it should be acknowledged he is the best Egyptian we've had   
    • Think they are nailed on to stay up now that they have fewer injuries...  Ol Gravel Voice might be a walking sphincter but he gets the best out of his players (except against City). wouldn't be surprised if current bottom 3 went down, but if anyone else gets dragged in, most likely Brighton or Barcodes
    • Burnley have 19 points from just 10 scored goals. That’s some achievement. 10 more goals and they’ll probably avoid relegation. 
    • Good opening post I hope to see your thread again for Rotherham 🙂 1:Team and formation?  Exactly same side as he started at Nottingham Forrest as believe its best side we have baring Fletcher.  2: Is it good to change a winning team?  Nope it isn't unless player is really knackered  3: Will Morsy get another yellow card for just being Morsy?  Yeah he will  4: Can Britt follow up on an above par performance?  I think/hope as his contract is up we may see the best of Britt as he sure will wanna try earn biggest deal he can in the summer and we are his stage for showtime  5: Is Saville finally going to be what we bought him for.. A goal contributer? 4 goals and 4 assists so far... With Morsey it enables him to burst in the box with great effect so defiently be more of a goal scoring contribution from him  6: Iron Maiden or Def Leppard?  Iron Maiden 7: Our last handful of games this season are easy on paper .. If we keep within reach of the play off spots .. Can we push for it in the last 8-10 games? Yeah it's just our strength in depth see at LB dropping from Bola to Coulson is downgrade then at RB Dijksteel provides defensive steal remove him for Spence we are a lot worse defensively. Then in Midfield losing someone so Wing is required is downgrade. The reason Norwich are where they are is due to having two quality players in every position really.  8: Who is this mystery signing (winger who can play as a striker)?  It has got to be Grosicki don't think any other fit the words Warnock said.
    • Classic Dani 🤦‍♂️
×
×
  • Create New...