Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
SmogDane

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

It always surprises me how much players seem to love staying in the area once they live here. The media always like to describe this area as a horrible place to live

Yes that’s a good point. He likes it anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

FYI Im covering the Hartlepool v Exeter game tonight and Randell Williams is on the bench. If He comes on I'll do some scouting. 😉

So...er...my report is as follows.

 

He came on at the start of the second half. 

 

He was poo.

 

End of report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a shame because I can’t see us going anywhere with Woodgate managing and Gibson in charge, I don’t see any ambition or potential for progress. We have the makings of a very good team, let’s be honest it’s the attack that is letting us down. Randolph, Ayala, Fry, Coulson, Howson (in midfield) and McNair are capable of taking us right to the top end of the table. I rate those 6 very highly personally. The entire attacking end of the pitch needs a complete re-do. Pace and wingers for teams to worry about for a start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

So...er...my report is as follows.

 

He came on at the start of the second half. 

 

He was poo.

 

End of report.

Those OPTA reports are less sophisticated than I thought 🙃

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I got some info tonight from a close friend of Randolph”s Dad. If Darren has his way he will be staying at Boro. He is really happy and settled in the area and doesn’t want to leave. There are no circumstances that he will go back to West Ham as he didn’t like the owners and generally was unhappy there. He would prefer to retire than go back there.

Take from it what you will.

He's out of contract in 18 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Those OPTA reports are less sophisticated than I thought 🙃

🤣🤣

 

To expand a bit, he had a dreadful game. Robbed of possession 3 times. Overran the ball when dribbling and conceded throw ins/goal kicks on multiple occasions. Wayward passing throughout. Looked average when playing with league 2 / national league players. 

 

So hopefully he's not actually a target.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Blanco said:

I got some info tonight from a close friend of Randolph”s Dad. If Darren has his way he will be staying at Boro. He is really happy and settled in the area and doesn’t want to leave. There are no circumstances that he will go back to West Ham as he didn’t like the owners and generally was unhappy there. He would prefer to retire than go back there.

Take from it what you will.

Let's hope he is willing to extend his contract then and not just leave on a free to bag more money. We simply cannot afford to lose him on a free in 18 months and after the january window his value is only going to drop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to offer a new contract before January and if not then unfortunately we need to move him on. Can’t afford to lose a £10m+ player for nothing in a year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Let's hope he is willing to extend his contract then and not just leave on a free to bag more money. We simply cannot afford to lose him on a free in 18 months and after the january window his value is only going to drop.

Meh, depending on what clubs are willing to pay for him, keeping him for another season and a half with no return from it at the end could be worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Meh, depending on what clubs are willing to pay for him, keeping him for another season and a half with no return from it at the end could be worse.

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying, but I'm guessing that you mean we might as well keep him if teams offer way too little. I can't see that being the case though, as he is the best keeper in this league, is in his prime and everyone will know that it's going to cost money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying, but I'm guessing that you mean we might as well keep him if teams offer way too little. I can't see that being the case though, as he is the best keeper in this league, is in his prime and everyone will know that it's going to cost money. 

They also know we're broke and don't have much of a leg to stand on so they're not gonna come in offering our valuation of him without significant negotiation.

If they don't offer our valuation, keep him, keep him until someone offers a decent valuation vs. the remaining length of his contract. Honestly, I'd rather keep the quality of player we have for another 18 months than sell him for cheaper than we want to sell him for and have to spend money to replace him with somebody worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

🤣🤣

 

To expand a bit, he had a dreadful game. Robbed of possession 3 times. Overran the ball when dribbling and conceded throw ins/goal kicks on multiple occasions. Wayward passing throughout. Looked average when playing with league 2 / national league players. 

 

So hopefully he's not actually a target.

What are you talking about? Sounds like he'll fit right in 😅

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mj south said:

Just on to transfers here but what will Woodgates strategy be?

Does he go for players to fit our 352 system which is working ok or does he go for players to fit his preferred and desired 433 system?

Either system will need very different players

I suspect Woody will try to get players for 4-3-3, since the mythical PowerPoint presentation at his job interview was all about how we'd become the Liverpool of the north (east). The 3-5-2 formation doesn't tend to stay in vogue for long at any club, even though I really like it when deploying box-to-box wingbacks. Ironically, it would arguably suit Liverpool better than 4-3-3 does, as Robertson and Alexander-Arnold can cover every blade of grass and put some wonderful crosses in. They could easily lose a player in midfield and add extra presence in their defence if they switched to 3-5-2.

Back on topic, we've needed width and striking options for the last few windows, and nothing's been done about it. If we don't approach these positions as the only priority in January (barring maybe bringing Ben Gibson back on loan, and assuming Randolph stays), we'll get nowhere in the second half of the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mj south said:

Just on to transfers here but what will Woodgates strategy be?

Does he go for players to fit our 352 system which is working ok or does he go for players to fit his preferred and desired 433 system?

Either system will need very different players

If we are seriously trying to get Gibson back on loan then we'll be switching to four at the back, I'd be almost certain of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

If we are seriously trying to get Gibson back on loan then we'll be switching to four at the back, I'd be almost certain of it.

Gibson, Ayala and Fry in defence, Push Howson into midfield and get rid of Clayton or Saville. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • Has anyone been watching these? They have been quite decent listens. They have had one with Mowbray and another with McClaren, Beswick and Harrison as well so far.  
    • I think Hugill was all too often on the ground and I couldn't stand that in a big physical lad, more-so than the regular diving player... but I also think he'd have scored more goals under Woodgate than he did Pulis. Though you could probably apply that to a lot of strikers.
    • I disagree. Replacing Britt is not the hard part imo. Getting a good fee for him under the current circumstances with 1yr left on his deal is the hard part. Ultimately we need to find a striker who gets between 12-15 goals a season as that is what we would lose with Britt.    One of the ITK members on here said we are looking at Lyle Taylor who out of contract at end of season. He has 11 goals to his name and has missed a decent chunk of season. Other players include Nakhi Wells who cost Bristol £5m (same fee as we are maybe looking at for Britt) and has 15 goals. Hugill on loan at QPR has 11 goals Woodrow at Barnsely has 14 goals Out of contract Fletcher at Sheff Wed has 13 goals. I am not suggesting we should look at any of them but they have all offered better value for money than britt so getting more bang for your buck than we have from Britt is not hard. Might be for us due to our past incompetent scouting department but some other clubs managed it. Maybe we can this summer...
    • Played as a striker he was a immense. A proper poacher and could shoot from distance too. 
    • 29th May A SC Freiburg  v  Bayer Leverkusen. 30th May. A Mainz  v  1899 Hoffenheim. H FC Schalke  v  Werder Bremem H Hertha Berlin  v  FC Augsburg. H VfL Wolfsburg.  v  Eintracht Frankfurt. H Bayern Munich  v  Fortuna Dusseldorf. 31st May. H Borussia Monchenladbach  v  FC Union Berlin. A SC Paderborn  v  Borussia Dortmund. 1st June. A FC Koln  v  RB Leizig. 2nd June. A Werder Bremem  v  Eintracht Frankfurt
×
×
  • Create New...