Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
SmogDane

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Recommended Posts

From what I have been told from the Burnley side this is still going ahead the reason its not been sorted as yet is the interest in Fry is genuine but the difference in valuation between the clubs is way off. 

Wages are not the first point of thought but playing football is, thought it would be done now personally. 

The deal will cost around 1.7m with outstanding payments from Burnley against the player remaining and as far as wages are concerned let's leave that to Mr Gibson to sort 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Yes, but we were paying Downing stupid wages and he was arguably past it. Ben Gibson isn't even in his prime.

I’m fairly sure Gibson won’t be paid peanuts either but I meant more along the lines of it being a signing made behind the managers back. 
 

I’d take Gibson back for sure, he’ll be great if he can get the form back from 2 years ago. It just feels like a signing that would take up a lot of funds and restrict other signings that the manager himself may want.

im also sceptical of all the talk that the deal won’t break the bank...I mean, surely he’s not going to come here for nothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Daveymfc said:

I’m fairly sure Gibson won’t be paid peanuts either but I meant more along the lines of it being a signing made behind the managers back. 
 

I’d take Gibson back for sure, he’ll be great if he can get the form back from 2 years ago. It just feels like a signing that would take up a lot of funds and restrict other signings that the manager himself may want.

im also sceptical of all the talk that the deal won’t break the bank...I mean, surely he’s not going to come here for nothing?

He won't be paid peanuts but you'd be surprised how much of a pay cut a player will take to go back to a club where they know they're going to be treated properly.

He won't cost much as Burnley still owe us money from the original transfer plus Fry may be going in the opposite direction.

It's also not being done behind Woodgate's back, he's been aware of Gibson's availability for ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ayala & Gibson surely one of the best ever Championship centre-half pairings... if they can even get close to their old form, that'll be very exciting. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

He won't be paid peanuts but you'd be surprised how much of a pay cut a player will take to go back to a club where they know they're going to be treated properly.

He won't cost much as Burnley still owe us money from the original transfer plus Fry may be going in the opposite direction.

It's also not being done behind Woodgate's back, he's been aware of Gibson's availability for ages.

That’s slightly more reassuring i guess. If he’s to come back on wages that reflect our current situation then I’d be all for it. I’d rather we renewed Ayalas contract if we do get Gibson as we haven’t had a pairing like it since Ugo/Southgate. 
 

I hope too that if Fry is to leave then it’ll be because we are bringing in Oxford. One prospect for another

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bristol_Boro said:

From what I have been told from the Burnley side this is still going ahead the reason its not been sorted as yet is the interest in Fry is genuine but the difference in valuation between the clubs is way off. 

Wages are not the first point of thought but playing football is, thought it would be done now personally. 

The deal will cost around 1.7m with outstanding payments from Burnley against the player remaining and as far as wages are concerned let's leave that to Mr Gibson to sort 🙂

You been told what we want for fry and want burnley are offering? Thank yoi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bristol_Boro said:

From what I have been told from the Burnley side this is still going ahead the reason its not been sorted as yet is the interest in Fry is genuine but the difference in valuation between the clubs is way off. 

Wages are not the first point of thought but playing football is, thought it would be done now personally. 

The deal will cost around 1.7m with outstanding payments from Burnley against the player remaining and as far as wages are concerned let's leave that to Mr Gibson to sort 🙂

Do you know how much they still owe? He’s only been there for 18 months, and in a 15 million deal I’d guess and say about 6 mil. So if we top that with 1.7 it’s a fairly big deal for us. Unless they’ve already paid a lot up front to begin with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think other than age the big difference between downing and Gibson is karanka never wanted downing but Woodgate would welcome Gibson back with open arms.

Gibson n Woodgate had a great friendship off the pitch too if i recall. Gibson even mentioned how much Woodgate helped him develop through 1 on 1 advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throwing a few figures into a spreadsheet, it's pretty easy to see how selling Fry for 10 and writing off Gibsons due transfer fees, even paying a mill on top and giving him 25k a week is dooable. Presuming Burnley are paying around 3.75m transfer a year for Ben, for 4 years. Then We will actually be better off this transfer window by selling Dael and bringing Ben back, next year we would be even, the third year would be a dip but not insurmountable.  

I'd love to have Gibson back from a leadership perspective and from a natural left footer angle. 

10 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Do you know how much they still owe? He’s only been there for 18 months, and in a 15 million deal I’d guess and say about 6 mil. So if we top that with 1.7 it’s a fairly big deal for us. Unless they’ve already paid a lot up front to begin with. 

It could be a simple 3.75mill every year four the four years of his contract?! That would mean they have made two payments and still owe 7.5m. If we wrote that off and sold Dael for 10mill, or 2.5m per year for four years, then it's probably decent from a FFP perspective.

 

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the riverside was sold to Gibson-O'Neill this summer for around 30m boosting our finances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TAPOUT said:

He wants to play 433 he said. Personally I dont think he has added any personnel that will do it for him effectively since he was appointed. Maybe if he can get the front 3 sorted it would take a bit of pressure off the defence.  Our goals for column is embarrassing.

We should have some room to manoeuvre when the out of contract players go. Personally, on refection I would probably only keep Ayala. I know some people like Howson but he is out of contract and we need something different in midfield. In this period of value for money I dont see the logic in giving someone at the end of their career a decent contract just so he can fill in where we are short. 
 

Thought I read somewhere in this topic that we're close to tying down a 3yr contract with Howson? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

Throwing a few figures into a spreadsheet, it's pretty easy to see how selling Fry for 10 and writing off Gibsons due transfer fees, even paying a mill on top and giving him 25k a week is dooable. Presuming Burnley are paying around 3.75m transfer a year for Ben, for 4 years. Then We will actually be better off this transfer window by selling Dael and bringing Ben back, next year we would be even, the third year would be a dip but not insurmountable.  

I'd love to have Gibson back from a leadership perspective and from a natural left footer angle. 

It could be a simple 3.75mill every year four the four years of his contract?! That would mean they have made two payments and still owe 7.5m. If we wrote that off and sold Dael for 10mill, or 2.5m per year for four years, then it's probably decent from a FFP perspective.

 

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the riverside was sold to Gibson-O'Neill this summer for around 30m boosting our finances.

Given that they are a Prem club and we are a championship club I’d be very surprised if they didn’t pay at least 5 mil up front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burnley will take 6m for Gibson with 4.3m outstanding 

Fry 8m  + add ons not entertained 

It's held the Gibson deal up as it was hoped it could be included in negotiating the Fry deal. 

Tarkowski could well be moving late in the window as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Yes, but we were paying Downing stupid wages and he was arguably past it. Ben Gibson isn't even in his prime.

Also I believe Woodgate rates Gibson. I recall an interview with Gibson in which he related that after Woodgate left the club he used to watch him in matches and contact him with critiques of his performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...