oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That’s all fair enough. I just feel that if two different clubs (West Ham and now Augsburg) are happy enough to let a supposed “hot prospect” leave their club’s for next to nothing, there’s something not quite right. 

They are top division clubs though and can’t give him the game time he needs. So it’s better to get something than just letting his contract run out without first team football. The Augsburg stint does seem a bit weird though. Maybe neither club are convinced by his desire or work rate to make it at the top. 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That’s all fair enough. I just feel that if two different clubs (West Ham and now Augsburg) are happy enough to let a supposed “hot prospect” leave their club’s for next to nothing, there’s something not quite right. 

There's also a reason why augsburgs decided to pay for him after a loan stint at them. They clearly seen something in him 

Oxford was very young when he broke through at West Ham and probably not ready physically to be a fixture and fitting, especially in a premier league team. Perhaps he cannot settle in Germany, especially being out of the first team. He sort of fits the profile the club want in a signing. Someone who can maximise their potential over time. He also shares the same agent as Marvin Johnson so a relationship for negotiation is there. He must have some talent to break through at such a young age.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, TAPOUT said:

Oxford was very young when he broke through at Arsenal and probably not ready physically to be a fixture and fitting, especially in a premier league team. Perhaps he cannot settle in Germany, especially being out of the first team. He sort of fits the profile the club want in a signing. Someone who can maximise their potential over time. He also shares the same agent as Marvin Johnson so a relationship for negotiation is there. He must have some talent to break through at such a young age.

I agree. I remember watching his debut against arsenal. Couldn't believe he was only 16. I expected him to be the next big thing but unfortunately it hasn't happened. Hopefully if we do get him we can get his confidence back and I think woodgate is the right man to do that going off what I've seen this season. 

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I get what u saying but there a huge difference in deemend not being good enough for WHU who at time were a mid table PL team or Augsburg who are a mid table bundesliga team is different to not being good enough for a lower end to mid-table championship team which is what we are.

I said it yday. If there a cut price deal to be done for Oxford i would be all over it as its pretty low risk. If he excels we stand to make a good profit. If he flops his fee won't cripple the club.

6 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I get what u saying but there a huge difference in deemend not being good enough for WHU who at time were a mid table PL team or Augsburg who are a mid table bundesliga team is different to not being good enough for a lower end to mid-table championship team which is what we are.

I said it yday. If there a cut price deal to be done for Oxford i would be all over it as its pretty low risk. If he excels we stand to make a good profit. If he flops his fee won't cripple the club.

Oh I completely agree with this. If the price is right it’s a fairly low risk project. My original post was in response to a comment about preferring signing Oxford to Gibson which I don’t really get as other than a good debut at the age of 16, 5 years ago, Oxford hasn’t really done anything of note. I mean, he struggled to get into Reading’s team when on loan there, albeit he was still only 18. Comparing that to what we know Gibson can do i.e. he was one of the best, if not the best, centre backs in the Championship and did well with us in the Premiership too. Oxford could turn out to be a gem but right now I’d much prefer Gibson (finances permitted) than Oxford. 

36 minutes ago, Borodane said:

They are top division clubs though and can’t give him the game time he needs. So it’s better to get something than just letting his contract run out without first team football. The Augsburg stint does seem a bit weird though. Maybe neither club are convinced by his desire or work rate to make it at the top. 

The goal that has ended him at Augsburg was a blind poked backpass midway in his own half through to Harit who scored the winner on November 3rd he's been on ice ever since it's got to be horrible for him. The smaller errors he's made this season have apparently been similar to that i.e loose passes taking a little too much time on the ball in his own half etc. None of the criticisms I've seen put to him are he can't defend it's that he's not 'Bundesliga ready' whatever that means, we've all seen Saville/Shotton/Howson pass it loosely in our own half it's maybe just not punished as much at our level so easier to coach him out of it or for him to adapt? I don't know but I'm pretty confident a fit Reece Oxford would improve our defence in a 3 at the back but if we go to the 433 I think he'd be a very good CDM anchoring the midfield he's got a good passing range and for his size he's got a turn of speed that our midfielders don't really have.

If his mistakes just cause everyone to write him off before he comes whilst clamouring for the Ayala and Gibson combo that looked like a clownshow in 2015 at Wembley both Norwich goals you could put on either of them to be honest if we're just writing players off for mistakes they didn't turn out too badly. With a bit of coaching Ayala became less complacent and Gibson got tighter to people quicker around the box, people always look back on things remembering the good parts like there was no flaws along the way. The misplaced passes/dithering on the ball stuff Oxford's been blasted in Germany for is definitely things that he can figure out in my opinion especially if he's in the team week in week out.

• Like 1
Just now, DurhamRed said:

Why the hell would a young defender fancy joining what has to be the worst defence in the middle of a relagation dogfight 

Maybe he would be guaranteed to play every week? If they get relegated but he performed well he would be in the shop window. It is only a loan initially 

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

TBH I dont go off the logic that X team would not let X player go if he that good.  Therefore he cant be all that.

That logic could have been applied to Randolph when we signed him but he turned out to be just fine.

They sold Randolph because they had a better goalkeeper, not because he wasn't good or whatever.  Slightly different situation to an unproven player.

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Happens all the time. Chelsea let Salah and De Bruyne go. 

I think their problem was more about Mourinho and his intransigence than anything else.  Both were decent players, he didn't fancy either of them so they ended up moving on. 

5 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

It was £50m in 2018, so probably not much different now. As CT says, though, it would be brave, or foolhardy, for SG to do any sale and leaseback now. Also probably seen as hypocritical, given his stance. Anyway, the whole point of sale and leaseback seems to have been to inflate value to circumvent FFP. We seem to be making sure we don’t breech the limits, so no need to do a sale.

Yeah, I meant it would be a bad look for us as ScarBoro says.  Also, as he points out, we've actually made strides to meet FFP, I think we should be fine with it, at least in this period.  Beyond that our wage bill should be a bit more favourable when we get rid of certain players.

16 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Maybe he would be guaranteed to play every week? If they get relegated but he performed well he would be in the shop window. It is only a loan initially 

Much closer to home, too.

• Like 1