Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
SmogDane

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Maybe he just wants to come home; some players are like that.

Yeah it sounds like that's the case, I just find it a bit unambitious from a football perspective. 

I'm sure he could go to Leeds until the end of the season, play for a good team, under a great manager, potentially get promoted and still live at home in Middlesbrough. If I was him I'd be worried about scrapping about at a mid-table Championship club for the next few seasons because he's better than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

If we take our rose tinted specs off and look at things from a neutral perspective, do you think coming back here would be a good move for Ben Gibson. 

I'm not sure we are ready as a club to compete for promotion for a while yet and if the rumours are true and clubs like Leeds and Fulham want him on loan then I think there's better options for him. I actually think he's good enough to play in the Premier league if he can find the right club. 

Yes. He Wants to come home, and only home. As SDS said, he has made that clear to all parties. He had his best times here. He wants that again. Im still confident it will go through just because of this desire. I wonder what the owner will think of Dyche keeping a guy that doesn't want to be there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tudders80 said:

Yes. He Wants to come home, and only home. As SDS said, he has made that clear to all parties. He had his best times here. He wants that again. Im still confident it will go through just because of this desire. I wonder what the owner will think of Dyche keeping a guy that doesn't want to be there. 

Maybe the owner is on the same page as Dyche. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

If we take our rose tinted specs off and look at things from a neutral perspective, do you think coming back here would be a good move for Ben Gibson. 

I'm not sure we are ready as a club to compete for promotion for a while yet and if the rumours are true and clubs like Leeds and Fulham want him on loan then I think there's better options for him. I actually think he's good enough to play in the Premier league if he can find the right club. 

He's a Boro fan too, he'll have those rose tinted glasses on as well.

But taking the question at face value, I think he's got far more chance of cementing a starting place here than he does at the top of the Championship Leeds or Fulham.

Burnley have completely derailed his career, he needs to be playing games week in week out whatever the future holds for him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

He's a Boro fan too, he'll have those rose tinted glasses on as well.

But taking the question at face value, I think he's got far more chance of cementing a starting place here than he does at the top of the Championship Leeds or Fulham.

Burnley have completely derailed his career, he needs to be playing games week in week out whatever the future holds for him.

Yeah that's a good point, maybe a move here until the summer wouldn't be disastrous for his career. It would give him a chance to play regularly and get his form and fitness back. 

I just think he's capable of playing at the top level if he gets himself back to where he was a few years ago. I'm not sure if that would happen with us but maybe he's happy taking that risk if it allows him to move home. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yeah it sounds like that's the case, I just find it a bit unambitious from a football perspective. 

I'm sure he could go to Leeds until the end of the season, play for a good team, under a great manager, potentially get promoted and still live at home in Middlesbrough. If I was him I'd be worried about scrapping about at a mid-table Championship club for the next few seasons because he's better than that. 

I could be in a career with much greater prospects, financially and otherwise what most would consider more rewarding, than the career I'm in right now. I could have stayed in London doing a job I didn't find that interesting with people and money that was good that could have probably set me up nicely by now.

But I'm not driven by those things. It sounds to me like Gibson isn't driven by wanting to just play at the highest level, he wants to do it with us and only us. I suspect if I was in his position, I'd feel exactly the same. Times can be up and down at your hometown club but it's your club and always will be and if you could influence the fortunes of your club, perhaps that's worth more to you than playing in the Premier League at a mid-table side or even beyond.

So if you ask if it's a good move for him, it's entirely in the context of his own mindset and beliefs. If he's driven by wanting to play for this club and this club alone, and helping us achieve the things he wants to achieve as an individual, then it's the only move he should want to make. A lot of footballers pursue this mercenary-style career where success is determined by the level you play at and competitions you win but it doesn't mean his own career isn't a success in his own eyes if he doesn't want to pursue that.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Its hilarious seeing all the anti-Dyche stuff. He's become a proper pantomine villain on here and I bet he doesn't give a stuff about us.  

If you love Sean Dyche so much then why don't you marry him 🖕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yeah it sounds like that's the case, I just find it a bit unambitious from a football perspective. 

I'm sure he could go to Leeds until the end of the season, play for a good team, under a great manager, potentially get promoted and still live at home in Middlesbrough. If I was him I'd be worried about scrapping about at a mid-table Championship club for the next few seasons because he's better than that. 

Why would anyone join Leeds?  That's just stupid 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yeah that's a good point, maybe a move here until the summer wouldn't be disastrous for his career. It would give him a chance to play regularly and get his form and fitness back. 

I just think he's capable of playing at the top level if he gets himself back to where he was a few years ago. I'm not sure if that would happen with us but maybe he's happy taking that risk if it allows him to move home. 

It’s going to take more than just 4-5 months in the championship to get back to that form. He’s going to need at least 1 year to get back to that kind of form so a loan with a permanent in the summer should do it. He can maybe play well enough to earn a shot at the Prem again either with us or another team if he again establishes himself as one of the leagues best defenders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mfcdanny said:

Ben Gibson been at Rockcliffe again today. Seems weird as they were at home today. Could be nothing but seems odd to me 

He's here all the bloody time at the moment.  You'd think he'd know someone in area whose settee he could kip on to save a few bob instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I could be in a career with much greater prospects, financially and otherwise what most would consider more rewarding, than the career I'm in right now. I could have stayed in London doing a job I didn't find that interesting with people and money that was good that could have probably set me up nicely by now.

But I'm not driven by those things. It sounds to me like Gibson isn't driven by wanting to just play at the highest level, he wants to do it with us and only us. I suspect if I was in his position, I'd feel exactly the same. Times can be up and down at your hometown club but it's your club and always will be and if you could influence the fortunes of your club, perhaps that's worth more to you than playing in the Premier League at a mid-table side or even beyond.

So if you ask if it's a good move for him, it's entirely in the context of his own mindset and beliefs. If he's driven by wanting to play for this club and this club alone, and helping us achieve the things he wants to achieve as an individual, then it's the only move he should want to make. A lot of footballers pursue this mercenary-style career where success is determined by the level you play at and competitions you win but it doesn't mean his own career isn't a success in his own eyes if he doesn't want to pursue that.

I can't really disagree with any of that and I could probably put myself in a similar category to you career wise. 

It's just quite unusual for a footballer to think like that. Most players are extremely driven and would probably sacrifice moving away from home if it gave them a chance to play in the Premier league and potentially get in the England squad. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Duvel said:

I can't really disagree with any of that and I could probably put myself in a similar category to you career wise. 

It's just quite unusual for a footballer to think like that. Most players are extremely driven and would probably sacrifice moving away from home if it gave them a chance to play in the Premier league and potentially get in the England squad. 

 

That's 'cause they're not from the mighty Boro, mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

If you love Sean Dyche so much then why don't you marry him 🖕

Shutup nerd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Duvel said:

If we take our rose tinted specs off and look at things from a neutral perspective, do you think coming back here would be a good move for Ben Gibson. 

I'm not sure we are ready as a club to compete for promotion for a while yet and if the rumours are true and clubs like Leeds and Fulham want him on loan then I think there's better options for him. I actually think he's good enough to play in the Premier league if he can find the right club. 

I'm not convinced it's the best move for either him or us, and have said so from the start, but I'm very much in the minority. Everyone seems to be expecting things to be the same as they were before he left, and I think both Ben and fans are going to end up disappointed. Coming back will not magically solve everything for Ben, and there is a lot of expectation and therefore pressure being built up around him. It will take a while to regain match fitness and the level he was at in our promotion and premier league seasons, and there are no guarantees he will regain his former level. I would love to be proved wrong, but I think people will end up disappointed like they were after Downing and Woodgate came back as players. It will only take a couple of poor performances for the Facebook fans to turn (some of which would be anger directed at Dyche) and then the crowd gets nervy and he's under more pressure. I think he would be better rebuilding his career somewhere else out of the spotlight, rather than trying to turn back a clock which won't go back to the same place it was.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Duvel said:

I can't really disagree with any of that and I could probably put myself in a similar category to you career wise. 

It's just quite unusual for a footballer to think like that. Most players are extremely driven and would probably sacrifice moving away from home if it gave them a chance to play in the Premier league and potentially get in the England squad. 

 

Matt Le Tissier.  I think if it does happen then it tends to be players who have a strong connection to a club.  Being a Boro fan and your family owning the club is about as strong of a connection as you are going to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • I just think we need to completely switch the wing backs. McNair for Spence, Coulson for Johnson 
    • A good mid fielder is worth his weight in gold. A good talker who can read, direct, control the game who commands respect from fellow players, a leader, a gladiator.  I’ll check on Amozon.    Seriously though I understand what you are stating and if it’s so obvious to us we are weak at crosses and set pieces I’m sure Warnock is as well. If only the club gets Warnock his targets I am pretty sure we can form a team that is competitive. 
    • We've arrived🙂
    • Ok early heads up for the QPR game. @Denzel Zanzibar Followed by @Uwe Followed by @boro-unger Followed by @Smogzilla
    • From what I saw was a decent game of football where the right result was achieved as against last week. The only thing that stopped us from perhaps winning the game was the lack of delivery once again from our set pieces. Two game and we have not been really troubled and against last season PL teams. Some good passages of play in the match and reason for hope of better things to come. Would still be nice to see a midfielder burst forward directly through the middle, Happy enough though!
×
×
  • Create New...