oneBoro Forum
SmogDane

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Just now, TLF10 said:

Gibson issue is not that Tarkowski is there but Ben Mee.

Gibson is entirely left footed. As is Ben Mee. Them two therefore would not partner each at the back given neither has much of a right foot

I stand to be corrected but have two purely left footed central defenders ever formed a pairing. Plenty of two right footers have but can't think of two left footers

Could be right, I'm sure he was nearing the end of his contract when Gibson signed.

I recall in the past being linked with Wes Burns of Fleetwood. He apparently played well at the weekend but has been left out of their squad completely tonight. Wonder if that is something we should keep an eye on?

57 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Could be Southampton selling Vestergaard to Leicester which opens the possibility of them letting benkovic go out on loan. 

Hope so as we do need a few of them transfer domino's to fall.

Many years ago, the term "left footer" had a different context and I can remember people saying he will never sign for us because he is a left-footer...being very naive, I didn't realise the true significance of what was being said, but my dad's side of the family were able to tell me that it goes back to the old country, where apparently one religion favoured spades that you pressed into the soil with the right foot whilst the other used the left...and until somebody introduced spades that could be used with either foot, you could tell the church someone belonged to by the spade over their shoulder 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Many years ago, the term "left footer" had a different context and I can remember people saying he will never sign for us because he is a left-footer...being very naive, I didn't realise the true significance of what was being said, but my dad's side of the family were able to tell me that it goes back to the old country, where apparently one religion favoured spades that you pressed into the soil with the right foot whilst the other used the left...and until somebody introduced spades that could be used with either foot, you could tell the church someone belonged to by the spade over their shoulder 

3 days until deadline day and this is what is being posted 😂

• Haha 2

the origins of phrases sometimes have very strange explanations.......I always assumed that "taking the mick" was something to do with Ireland, but apparently Cockney rhyming slang...the one that always makes me smile is "he couldn't hit a cow's **** with a banjo"... why would anyone want to?   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

the origins of phrases sometimes have very strange explanations.......I always assumed that "taking the mick" was something to do with Ireland, but apparently Cockney rhyming slang...the one that always makes me smile is "he couldn't hit a cow's **** with a banjo"... why would anyone want to?   

Well done for minding your p's and q's there. Something that was called while the lady of the public house walked through. Meant mind your pints and quarts. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gilling Red said:

If it wasn't for injuries to our CB. I see no need to bring anyone else in, we look to be a fair middle table side now so lets get this season over and look forward to building next year, the team at the start of next season may look quite different with the expensive stiff's getting moved out. As for giving coaching jobs to Friend, Clayton. etc NO WAY.

I reckon Friend would make a bloody good coach

• Like 1

Two days to go! be pleased when the window closes to be honest. So far so good, a CB or two in and a very good window, well compared with the last few.

Why do people think Adam Clayton is being considered as a coach? The man is only 31, so he will definately be looking for a playing contract for the foreseeable years.

• Like 1

Btw, didn't Bailey say he had a story on a big boro contract extension? Or was it just a story about him guessing that Tav might sign a new deal?

1 minute ago, mj south said:

That was to do with Tav

Yeah but it wasn't exactly news considering he hasn't signed anything? 

33 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Yeah but it wasn't exactly news considering he hasn't signed anything? 

They're waiting until deadline day when we fail to sign anyone and can say he's like a new signing 😛

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Gibson issue is not that Tarkowski is there but Ben Mee.

Gibson is entirely left footed. As is Ben Mee. Them two therefore would not partner each at the back given neither has much of a right foot

I stand to be corrected but have two purely left footed central defenders ever formed a pairing. Plenty of two right footers have but can't think of two left footers

I’m not sure why having two left footers is such an impossibility. As you say there are lots of partnerships made up of two right footers, what’s the difference?