oneBoro Forum
SmogDane

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

I was told we are interested in a couple of youngsters at Sunderland who we have been watching for quite some time. Benjamin Mbunga-Kimpioka and Elliot Embleton, injury to the latter may have delayed things. Sheff Wed and Hull have shown interest in Clayton, wants to stay local to Harrogate with child on the way. Gestede may be going north of the border in January but it depends on whether we can come to an agreement with him for the remainder of his contract.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

Didn't Burnley want Fry in the summer.

I think the club has been doing everything possible to sell him since he might be able to command a big fee due to his reputation and being young English.. But his form this season has been woeful and all of the links have disappeared..

Not to mention, saying this again, selling Fry does not solve the biggest problem i.e. our wage bill. Unless we're selling him for something really significant, he's not going to make much of a change to our problems.

1 hour ago, Ayresome7 said:

I was told we are interested in a couple of youngsters at Sunderland who we have been watching for quite some time. Benjamin Mbunga-Kimpioka and Elliot Embleton, injury to the latter may have delayed things. Sheff Wed and Hull have shown interest in Clayton, wants to stay local to Harrogate with child on the way. Gestede may be going north of the border in January but it depends on whether we can come to an agreement with him for the remainder of his contract.

Thank you for this info @Ayresome7. Find it strange Sheff Wed want Clayton. He was not even making match day squad in Monks final games here or am i mistaken and he was back in favour towards end of Monks tenure?

I can certainly see Gestedes contract being terminated by mutual consent and everyone being told about it on 1st February. 

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Not to mention, saying this again, selling Fry does not solve the biggest problem i.e. our wage bill. Unless we're selling him for something really significant, he's not going to make much of a change to our problems.

Exactamundo!

While the high earners are still on the books any money from selling youngsters on low wages will only go towards the wage bill, instead of being able to be invested in players

• Like 1

It was only Burnley linked with him before wasn't it?  I haven't seen much speculation linking him with a move to anyone else and I'd guess they are pretty well set for defenders at the moment.  To be honest there hasn't been much speculation about any of them though.

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

Thank you for this info @Ayresome7. Find it strange Sheff Wed want Clayton. He was not even making match day squad in Monks final games here or am i mistaken and he was back in favour towards end of Monks tenure?

I can certainly see Gestedes contract being terminated by mutual consent and everyone being told about it on 1st February. 

We won 3 consecutive matches with Howson and Leadbitter together in the middle of the field with Forshaw on bench so Clayton missed out on those matches but played in EFL Cup. Could be a case of Wednesday wanting to strengthen squad coming for a playoff push. Hutchinson is more of a right back and they have had suspension/injuries to Odubajo and Palmer. Downing and Leadbitter were frozen out and brought back in so Monk has form for it. 

Chelsea being linked to Josh Maja today on BBC. Weren't we in for him last year?

May end up to be one of those would've could've should've signings we've see down the years like Matic, Giroud, Xavi etc

I constantly read posts about completely overhauling the squad in the context of selling good players. Given our very patchy recruitment policy surely we should be getting rid of as many average (or below average) players as possible and retaining the better performers, Ayala being one. Keep blooding the youngsters they are definitely value for money and have not really let us down as yet. Some of the better championship teams recently have NOT been the ones with large squads of average players such as Boro, Derby etc but those with a few exceptional players.

11 hours ago, Changing Times said:

It was only Burnley linked with him before wasn't it?  I haven't seen much speculation linking him with a move to anyone else and I'd guess they are pretty well set for defenders at the moment.  To be honest there hasn't been much speculation about any of them though.

Just as he returned from injury he was linked with pretty much every top 10 team for a week. Smelt like Boro touting him around as much as they could tbh

Think the EG quotes on the blog say it all about transfers... club want 1 or 2... in my opinion its 4 or 5 but perhaps that's knee jerk considering league position. Still see Randz out at least...

2 minutes ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Think the EG quotes on the blog say it all about transfers... club want 1 or 2... in my opinion its 4 or 5 but perhaps that's knee jerk considering league position. Still see Randz out at least...

I reckon we need

1 manager

1 assistant

1 striker

2 wingers

1 central defender

And that's before replacing important players that get sold

Don't know if anyone's said it on here before but it's been mentioned on FMTTM that Shotton is 1 appearance away from triggering a clause so he'll be leaving in January.

7 hours ago, OldManGravz said:

Chelsea being linked to Josh Maja today on BBC. Weren't we in for him last year?

May end up to be one of those would've could've should've signings we've see down the years like Matic, Giroud, Xavi etc

Yeah, Pulis didn't want him apparently.

58 minutes ago, Hendrie_7 said:

Don't know if anyone's said it on here before but it's been mentioned on FMTTM that Shotton is 1 appearance away from triggering a clause so he'll be leaving in January.

Yeah I read that and the rest of the thread.  I couldn't work out what the 1 appearance would be in regards to because he's played 71 league games and 76 games in total but then I looked at it and it could be for 75 appearances if you don't include play off games, but that would seem odd to me.  It could be for 70 Championship starts as he's started 69 to date with 2 sub appearances.  Other than that I don't really see what the clause could be for, that's if it actually exists.