Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
SmogDane

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Ayresome7 said:

Make no mistake Roberts is a Premier League footballer and would be a fantastic signing. I remember watching him a number of times for Celtic and he was different class. That solo goal he scored in the Champions League against Man City showed what he could potentially do on his day.

If this is indeed the direction the club is moving towards then exciting times ahead.

There’s lots of Celtic fans calling for them to sign him. They seem to think he’s an unbelievable player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xathras said:

Good to see the kind of players we are being linked with. Young, pace, power and players that want to get team football.

 

Would be interesting if we could get both Maddison and Roberts in that would give us pace on the wingers. A number 10 and support at the back and I think we could be challenging. 

Maddison and Roberts would be brilliant! However I don't think we need a 10. I think a midfield 3 of...

 

McNair-Howson-Tavernier

 

... with Wing, Clayton and Saville as backup, is enough for the centre. Enough versatility in there. I honestly think Woodgate is trying to work towards a Liverpool style of play (i.e. no number 10)...

 

- Full backs creating the width (Spence and Coulson)

- Inside forwards out wide (Maddison, Roberts, Jones, and I'm guessing that is what Browne was supposed to be)

- Energy and legs in the middle of midfield

 

I think we need:

- 2 wingers/inside forwards

- a centre back

- competition for Fletcher up front if Britt leaves

- competition for Pears in nets if Randolph leaves

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roberts would be the most exciting signing in ages, really pleased about that one.

You have to wonder what on earth went on with those summer signings however, zero impact at all. Was it all bevingtons work?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news about Roberts, if true. Super footballer from what I've seen. A poor man's Bernardo Silve.

 

Potential 1st and 2nd 11 at the end of the window, assuming the rumours are true about Britt, Randolph and Shotton leaving.

 

1st 11:

-----------------------------Pears-----------------------------

Spence-----------Ayala--------Fry-------------Coulson

-----------McNair-----Howson----Tavernier----------

-----Roberts--------------------------------Maddison----

-------------------------Fletcher------------------------------

 

2nd 11:

-----------------------------Mejias-----------------------------

Dijksteel-------New CB--------Friend--------------Bola

--------------Wing-----Clayton----Saville-----------------

-----Johnson--------------------------------Browne-------

-------------------------Gestede------------------------------

 

Add another striker, centre back and maybe a keeper and I think that is a pretty solid looking squad in my opinion.

 

My prediction is 5 in, 3 out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Maddison and Roberts would be brilliant! However I don't think we need a 10. I think a midfield 3 of...

 

McNair-Howson-Tavernier

IMO we look pretty poor when we play 3 in midfield. We've looked much better of late with a 2 man midfield with a 10 or the 343 we've been using.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mendieta420 said:

IMO we look pretty poor when we play 3 in midfield. We've looked much better of late with a 2 man midfield with a 10 or the 343 we've been using.

If we get the 2 wingers in I would imagine we’ll play the 3-4-3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mendieta420 said:

IMO we look pretty poor when we play 3 in midfield. We've looked much better of late with a 2 man midfield with a 10 or the 343 we've been using.

I agree but I also think that is down to our lack of options on the wing. Add two inside forwards like Maddison and Roberts and I think we will revert to a 4-3-3. Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we need to change formations, as the current ones are working. Just improve the players in the positions if possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So if Roberts and Jones do come in and we go with the 3-4-3, it’d look something like this...
 

—————Pears—————

—Howson—Ayala—Fry—

Spence—McNair—Tav—Coulson

—Roberts—Fletcher—Jones. 

Edited by CWC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think it's too early to write off Browne as a winger for us.

He's been injured or stupid for most of the season, but his season at Oxford was good.

Jordan Jones has only really played at a League One level club in Kilmarnock, and left under a cloud, so it would seem harsh not to still give Browne some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I still think it's too early to write off Browne as a winger for us.

He's been injured or stupid for most of the season, but his season at Oxford was good.

Jordan Jones has only really played at a League One level club in Kilmarnock, and left under a cloud, so it would seem harsh not to still give Browne some time.

JJ didn't leave under a cloud. He decided to leave on a bosman and join rangers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Roberts would be the most exciting signing in ages, really pleased about that one.

You have to wonder what on earth went on with those summer signings however, zero impact at all. Was it all bevingtons work?

I am starting to wonder if Dijksteel might be better as a centre-mid and whether that means Tony Pulis had a hand in the deal... 😀

Seriously though, Browne might still come good, I think it's early days for all 3 of them but Browne in particular has something about him. Bola and Dijksteel, I'm really not sure. Bola whenever I've seen him has been poor, Dijksteel has had his moments but he's had just as many bad ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I am starting to wonder if Dijksteel might be better as a centre-mid and whether that means Tony Pulis had a hand in the deal... 😀

Seriously though, Browne might still come good, I think it's early days for all 3 of them but Browne in particular has something about him. Bola and Dijksteel, I'm really not sure. Bola whenever I've seen him has been poor, Dijksteel has had his moments but he's had just as many bad ones.

When Dijksteel signed I’m sure some Charlton fans mentioned he played well as a defensive midfielder too. The main problem for Dijksteel at Boro seems to be a lack of confidence, he looked really scared to go forward when he played. I’m sure with a longer spell with the team he might improve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BoroJake said:

When Dijksteel signed I’m sure some Charlton fans mentioned he played well as a defensive midfielder too. The main problem for Dijksteel at Boro seems to be a lack of confidence, he looked really scared to go forward when he played. I’m sure with a longer spell with the team he might improve

From what I've read, he was a defensive midfielder until the last 2 seasons, when bowyer moved him to RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • The last section is the exact reason Wigan won't win their appeal. The EFL simply refuse to acknowledge that their set of tests is not fit for purpose. They even then mention another case where that was evident (Bury).
    • The owners haven't massively overspent and run the club into the ground. From what I have seen Wigan is/are a fairly well run club in terms of finances (in a football sense anyway). But the owners have literally used the club for some very murky reason. They sold the club to a new owner (a fund) that the old owner was the majority shareholder in. Then immediately installed a new majority shareholder to the fund that now own Wigan. That shareholder bizarrely has no online footprint at all, other than everything related to him owning Wigan. This man then on the exact same day he has acquired the club has placed it in administration. It is that reason that Wigan are appealing the decision. All of the above of course was signed off by the EFL themselves. Which opens a whole new can of worms.
    • https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/efl-update-wigan-athletic/   Here is the latest statement by the EFL on the Wigan situation. I agree with a lot of what they say up until they start trying to defend their fit and proper test.
    • Apologies when I said 1/4 of the creditors, I was meaning 25p out of the £. I should have made that clearer. In terms of our situation in 1986 I'm not too well versed with the details (as it was before my time). But I'm pretty sure we were going into Liquidation rather than administration.  I also imagine that the EFL regulations/rules have been updated since 1986.  
    • As far as I can tell it's the only argument that they can even try to make, and even that's weak AF.
×
×
  • Create New...