oneBoro Forum
SmogDane

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

53 minutes ago, oldman said:

I never cease to be amazed at some of our fans. Wanting to sell proven good players to take a punt on "good younger players". The money they think we can raise from the likes of Assombalonga and Randolph is always way more than the  reality of any offers. The facts are as follows:

1. Some of our top players were signed for higher than market rates and we will not recoup our investment.

2. They were also signed on over the top weekly pay that no one is likely to match, so their transfer value is reduced further.

3. Every other club is looking for these "good younger players" whoever they are and our own position regarding these signings is no better than any other clubs. Furthermore our record at identifying and signing such players is exceptionally poor.

4. On the other hand our record at developing our own players has been much better than the average.

So in my opinion forget wholesale changes to the squad. invest in the good players we have, resigning the better ones if possible and letting the poorer ones go, and develop what we have in our junior ranks.

I think it is less a case of wanting to sell older, proven players in favour of younger signings, and more a case of knowing that we HAVE to sell these older proven players to make us more financially securebecause of their over the top wages, accepting this fact and trying to see the positives that getting money for them and getting their inflated wages off the ledger can bring, i.e. being able to bring in a few more young players to round out our squad a bit more and take some pressure off the young academy lads that are getting their chance.

Yes, we know we won't get what we paid for them, but it's better to get something rather than letting their contracts run down, losing another year of wages and any chance of getting a fee for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brunners said:

As noted it is because he is a player coach, iirc a large chunk of his wage doesnt count to ffp.

Also I dont know if they are officially paying it or if it is just because they totally coincidentally agreed a new sponsorship deal right in time to sign rooney.

Is that actually true? Just reading this on the bbc website....

“Rooney's entire wages will count towards the club's Financial Fair Play (FFP) calculations despite him moving to Pride Park as a player-coach, as there is no 50% split on wages for such dual roles at that level - unlike in League One and League Two.”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/49265227

Wonder where Nketiah will end up now, probably Brentford or Bristol City but if we sell Britt he would be a more than adequate replacement.

14 hours ago, Lurker said:

Same as last window, could happen but late on unless we give them what they want. They want a Prem club to pay full wages. Can’t see that happening.

Think he could end up here, however, if we keep up our form I think we’d invest that money on Ayala and/or Howson

Thanks Mate... any ideas what Kenyons role within the club is now? Know he is non exec director but plenty of chatter about him being more involved behind the scenes.

9 minutes ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

“Rooney's entire wages will count towards the club's Financial Fair Play (FFP) calculations despite him moving to Pride Park as a player-coach, as there is no 50% split on wages for such dual roles at that level - unlike in League One and League Two.”

Oh fair play! Didnt realise there was a split between us and l1 and l2.

Consider me corrected then, thank you! 🙂

Derby are playing a very dangerous game. If they don't get promoted this season they will have to make massive cutbacks next season.

Just now, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Derby are playing a very dangerous game. If they don't get promoted this season they will have to make massive cutbacks next season.

I'm sure they'll find something else to sell to themselves 🙂

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

I'm sure they'll find something else to sell to themselves 🙂

Lol they're not in the clear over that yet either 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

They look more likely to be relegated than promoted at this point. Can’t see Rooney changing their form either

1 hour ago, Maccarone said:

Is the Roberts deal done Lurker?  Woody seems very coy about it?

nothing is done until bauser has a cheesy grin in a photo

2 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

nothing is done until bauser has a cheesy grin in a photo

We haven’t seen his grin for a while. I don’t think he did it for any of the summer signings did he?

28 minutes ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

Not sure how much that will matter against FFP if they are receiving his full wage as extra revenue from the sponsorship anyway. I presume it just cancels it out?

Think we need to act fast with Roberts. There's a good chance Diangana will get recalled by West Ham which will probably mean West Brom will be after a winger too.