• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

Moses i feel can still get a lower end PL team in for him. 

I see billy sharp is reportedly surplus to requirements at Sheff Utd. Would not mid him at all on a loan until end of season. Also what has happened to Sam Vokes at Stoke? Always rather impressed with him at Burnley, especially his ability to hold it up. He could be another worth a look at on a short term loan if stoke do not fancy him in the short term.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Moses i feel can still get a lower end PL team in for him. 

I see billy sharp is reportedly surplus to requirements at Sheff Utd. Would not mid him at all on a loan until end of season. Also what has happened to Sam Vokes at Stoke? Always rather impressed with him at Burnley, especially his ability to hold it up. He could be another worth a look at on a short term loan if stoke do not fancy him in the short term.

All players out of our price range I'm afraid. Sharp is obviously the "easiest" target but I wouldn't be surprised if he was bumped up to a decent Prem salary. Moses is probabaly on 60k at least and will have plenty of interest from more exciting teams than a relegation threatened Championship club with a rookie manager and no money.

On 11/19/2019 at 1:33 PM, Changing Times said:

We're already signing Ivan Toney for £13m so what more do you want? 🙃

At least nobody will be able to make fun of his name if he turns out to be terrible. Let's be honest, most Boro strikers are terrible once they join us - this club acts like a curse on goalscorers.

• Like 1

I don't think it's the goal scorer, it's the lack of creativity and pace to create the opportunities (granted Britt has missed one or two) and the whole balance of the squad, shocking decision making and recruitment by many over a long period of time. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Maccarone said:

I don't think it's the goal scorer, it's the lack of creativity and pace to create the opportunities (granted Britt has missed one or two) and the whole balance of the squad, shocking decision making and recruitment by many over a long period of time. 

Don't you think we've always been a curse on strikers? I think back to the days of Hamilton Ricard and Brian Deane, who came with reputations they never managed to live up to.

If I had to list the strikers we've signed who'd actually lived up to their billing/reputation/fee in the last 20 years, it'd be a short list of maybe a handful. I'm not even sure there'd be anyone from the last decade. And I don't believe we've been deficient in midfield or wide that entire time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Maccarone said:

100% in agreement.

Its quite easy to mark one striker which is really all Boro have had for a few years now both under Pulis and under Woodgate. To take the pressure off Britass and give him a more space we really need all the players on the field able to score goals from outside that box.

Take away the target man and the oppositions defence will crumble.

Forget about the delivery into the box just hit that frigging net,after all its a bigger target than someones head and let players like Britass sweep up anything coming back out .

• Like 1
18 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

Don't you think we've always been a curse on strikers? I think back to the days of Hamilton Ricard and Brian Deane, who came with reputations they never managed to live up to.

If I had to list the strikers we've signed who'd actually lived up to their billing/reputation/fee in the last 20 years, it'd be a short list of maybe a handful. I'm not even sure there'd be anyone from the last decade. And I don't believe we've been deficient in midfield or wide that entire time.

Hamilton Ricard is still our all time top Premier League goalscorer, I'd say he more than lived up to his reputation.

I don't remember him being classed as a goal machine when we signed him?

Edit - I've just looked it up, Bryan Robson signed him for £2 million and he'd scored 22 goals in 61 appearances for Deportivo Cali in Colombia, over a 5 year period. Not exactly what you'd call prolific.

Edited by Denzel Zanzibar

Ricard was a weird one, it was almost like the reverse of what RiseAgainst is talking about.  When he first got into the team he looked bloody useless.  There was a game at Sheff Utd I think, which we lost, where it looked like he had his boots on the wrong feet.  He scored a couple of goals in that season but he was still a bit of a figure of fun and at that point he was behind Merson, Armstrong and Branca.  But then everything seemed to click for him the following season.  We'd had to sell Merson so he was gone and Armstrong and Branca were both injured and effectively done as Boro players, albeit we didn't realise it at the time.  All we had left was Ricard and Beck until we signed Deane a few months later.  Ricard just hit the ground running and was a proper handful in the Premier League.

• Like 1
On 11/21/2019 at 12:06 PM, Maccarone said:

Could not agree more with this.

I've said time and time again that its not the strikers who are the problem (well some of Britt's finishing...) but the fact we simply don't create decent goalscoring chances for them.

Its been a chronic problem for Boro for years. We've signed god-knows how many strikers with decent records, only for them to draw blanks for us, because they spend most of the match totally isolated and hardly ever see the ball.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:57 PM, RiseAgainst said:

I'd tend to agree. Though I would say we've had a serious problem finding good wide players and playmakers for a number of years now.

I mean when was it that we first started playing strikers as wide players? Under Mowbray...before then?

Also can't remember the last time we had someone who regularly liked to take on and beat opponents AND provide a killer pass. I know Traore liked to run a lot, but most of the time he went up blind alleys and passed into the stands.