oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

3 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

It always surprises me how much players seem to love staying in the area once they live here. The media always like to describe this area as a horrible place to live

Yes that’s a good point. He likes it anyway 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

FYI Im covering the Hartlepool v Exeter game tonight and Randell Williams is on the bench. If He comes on I'll do some scouting. 😉

So...er...my report is as follows.

He came on at the start of the second half. 

He was poo.

End of report.

It’s a shame because I can’t see us going anywhere with Woodgate managing and Gibson in charge, I don’t see any ambition or potential for progress. We have the makings of a very good team, let’s be honest it’s the attack that is letting us down. Randolph, Ayala, Fry, Coulson, Howson (in midfield) and McNair are capable of taking us right to the top end of the table. I rate those 6 very highly personally. The entire attacking end of the pitch needs a complete re-do. Pace and wingers for teams to worry about for a start. 

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I got some info tonight from a close friend of Randolph”s Dad. If Darren has his way he will be staying at Boro. He is really happy and settled in the area and doesn’t want to leave. There are no circumstances that he will go back to West Ham as he didn’t like the owners and generally was unhappy there. He would prefer to retire than go back there.

Take from it what you will.

He's out of contract in 18 months.

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Those OPTA reports are less sophisticated than I thought 🙃

🤣🤣

To expand a bit, he had a dreadful game. Robbed of possession 3 times. Overran the ball when dribbling and conceded throw ins/goal kicks on multiple occasions. Wayward passing throughout. Looked average when playing with league 2 / national league players. 

So hopefully he's not actually a target.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Blanco said:

I got some info tonight from a close friend of Randolph”s Dad. If Darren has his way he will be staying at Boro. He is really happy and settled in the area and doesn’t want to leave. There are no circumstances that he will go back to West Ham as he didn’t like the owners and generally was unhappy there. He would prefer to retire than go back there.

Take from it what you will.

Let's hope he is willing to extend his contract then and not just leave on a free to bag more money. We simply cannot afford to lose him on a free in 18 months and after the january window his value is only going to drop.

30 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Let's hope he is willing to extend his contract then and not just leave on a free to bag more money. We simply cannot afford to lose him on a free in 18 months and after the january window his value is only going to drop.

Meh, depending on what clubs are willing to pay for him, keeping him for another season and a half with no return from it at the end could be worse.

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Meh, depending on what clubs are willing to pay for him, keeping him for another season and a half with no return from it at the end could be worse.

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying, but I'm guessing that you mean we might as well keep him if teams offer way too little. I can't see that being the case though, as he is the best keeper in this league, is in his prime and everyone will know that it's going to cost money. 

37 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying, but I'm guessing that you mean we might as well keep him if teams offer way too little. I can't see that being the case though, as he is the best keeper in this league, is in his prime and everyone will know that it's going to cost money. 

They also know we're broke and don't have much of a leg to stand on so they're not gonna come in offering our valuation of him without significant negotiation.

If they don't offer our valuation, keep him, keep him until someone offers a decent valuation vs. the remaining length of his contract. Honestly, I'd rather keep the quality of player we have for another 18 months than sell him for cheaper than we want to sell him for and have to spend money to replace him with somebody worse.

12 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

🤣🤣

To expand a bit, he had a dreadful game. Robbed of possession 3 times. Overran the ball when dribbling and conceded throw ins/goal kicks on multiple occasions. Wayward passing throughout. Looked average when playing with league 2 / national league players. 

So hopefully he's not actually a target.

What are you talking about? Sounds like he'll fit right in 😅

• Haha 2
18 hours ago, mj south said:

Just on to transfers here but what will Woodgates strategy be?

Does he go for players to fit our 352 system which is working ok or does he go for players to fit his preferred and desired 433 system?

Either system will need very different players

I suspect Woody will try to get players for 4-3-3, since the mythical PowerPoint presentation at his job interview was all about how we'd become the Liverpool of the north (east). The 3-5-2 formation doesn't tend to stay in vogue for long at any club, even though I really like it when deploying box-to-box wingbacks. Ironically, it would arguably suit Liverpool better than 4-3-3 does, as Robertson and Alexander-Arnold can cover every blade of grass and put some wonderful crosses in. They could easily lose a player in midfield and add extra presence in their defence if they switched to 3-5-2.

Back on topic, we've needed width and striking options for the last few windows, and nothing's been done about it. If we don't approach these positions as the only priority in January (barring maybe bringing Ben Gibson back on loan, and assuming Randolph stays), we'll get nowhere in the second half of the season.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, mj south said:

Just on to transfers here but what will Woodgates strategy be?

Does he go for players to fit our 352 system which is working ok or does he go for players to fit his preferred and desired 433 system?

Either system will need very different players

If we are seriously trying to get Gibson back on loan then we'll be switching to four at the back, I'd be almost certain of it.

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

If we are seriously trying to get Gibson back on loan then we'll be switching to four at the back, I'd be almost certain of it.

Gibson, Ayala and Fry in defence, Push Howson into midfield and get rid of Clayton or Saville.