oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You don't need to do that, mate, but thanks.  I think a loss this season is likely but my point was that it will be a real loss not just an FFP one and for it to be only a significant issue for FFP seemed odd to me.

Ok mate! 🙂

Yeah after looking over a few things I think that is a fair reflection. I think we will make a significant actual loss and an FFP loss for this season. Our turnover should be reduced by at least £35 Million for the 2019-2020 season compared to the 2018-2019 season. And compared to the 2017-2018 season our turnover will be £40 Million less! 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

Surely his contract will be running down soon, can’t imagine they loan him for 18 months if it’s up at the end of next season 

They only signed him 6 months ago, I really doubt they gave him a 2 year deal.

• Confused 1
13 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

Surely his contract will be running down soon, can’t imagine they loan him for 18 months if it’s up at the end of next season 

He is nowhere near their first team as it stands and the deal could be extended whenever they felt like it.  He needs plenty of football as he's done very little in his career so far other than flash some ability and potential.

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I'm not sure that Gibbo returning would be good for either him or us.  Yes, he needs to get his career going again, but I think he could achieve that elsewhere. 

Gibbo has played very few matches for Burnley and is currently out injured. It will take time to regain match fitness and sharpness. Some of our fans will be understanding, but there will be quite a few who will expect the same player we had before. It could take months to return to his previous level, if he manages to do so. I would rather remember Gibson for the great player he was for us, rather than as a shadow of what he was. If he went elsewhere then there would be fewer comparisonsand expectations for him to need to live up to.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

I was talking about Gibbo 

I think the loan length is an issue regarding Jack Clarke. Gibbo isn't the length, just the money. Based on what I've read in here, anyway.

3 hours ago, Skinemrippers said:

I remember Burnley being really pleased to do business with us - no messing about, honest deal. So Pulis said. Sounds like they can’t stand us to be honest! 

It’s mutual.

modern rivalry from the first promotion season in the main. Rhodes signed for us and they hate all things Blackburn. Then Joey Barton and the players taking the *** out of Karanka on their promotion winning bus. Plus ol’ ginger woodbine throat was always making snidey comments about us when we were neck and neck in the championship.

can imagine them now laughing that we want the chairman’s newphew back on loan for 6 months? No thanks! Keep him, it’s working out well for you both. 

• Like 2

I really don't think there is any issue between us and Burnley as far as the two clubs are concerned.

Yes there was rivalry between the fans (and to some extent the players&coaching staff) in the promotion season but we were both going for same prize. But i think as soon as we both went up and whats happened in the 3 seasons after we both became irrelevant to each other.

We sold them Gibson with little fuss. We maintained we wanted ÂŁ15m for him and i remember Burnley opening offer was ÂŁ12m but eventually we got deal we wanted.

And now it seems we want Gibson back on loan and Burnlry want best possible deal. Just like we did when we sold them Gibson. Its purely business.

Dyche and Burnley dont care about Boro any less than we do them imo.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

I really don't think there is any issue between us and Burnley as far as the two clubs are concerned.

Yes there was rivalry between the fans (and to some extent the players&coaching staff) in the promotion season but we were both going for same prize. But i think as soon as we both went up and whats happened in the 3 seasons after we both became irrelevant to each other.

We sold them Gibson with little fuss. We maintained we wanted ÂŁ15m for him and i remember Burnley opening offer was ÂŁ12m but eventually we got deal we wanted.

And now it seems we want Gibson back on loan and Burnlry want best possible deal. Just like we did when we sold them Gibson. Its purely business.

Dyche and Burnley dont care about Boro any less than we do them imo.

Totally disagree tbh. I live in lancs and whilst I’d be lying if I said I had Burnley friends *shudders* I can tell you via North End fans they love a good slagging of Boro and, strangely, Steve Gibson. We did a business transaction for Ben Gibson, that’s all that was. We’re not their biggest rival or they are to us, but there’s definitely a modern niggle between certain factions of fans, no matter how small, it’s there. 

6 minutes ago, RiseSirAxlRose said:

Totally disagree tbh. I live in lancs and whilst I’d be lying if I said I had Burnley friends *shudders* I can tell you via North End fans they love a good slagging of Boro and, strangely, Steve Gibson. We did a business transaction for Ben Gibson, that’s all that was. We’re not their biggest rival or they are to us, but there’s definitely a modern niggle between certain factions of fans, no matter how small, it’s there. 

Oh i agree it exists between fans. That is evident on here but i cant see there being any issue between us and them as far as the two clubs are concerned. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

Oh i agree it exists between fans. That is evident on here but i cant see there being any issue between us and them as far as the two clubs are concerned. 

I think that extends to the clubs as a consequence mate, that’s all I’m saying. That doesn’t mean to say we won’t do business with them of course. 

I hope not, I don’t want Ben Gibson back tbh. I think it’s the wrong move for us (and to a lesser extend, him). 

• Like 1

Personally I think resigning Ben Gibson is pointless waste of money unless it's a 18 month loan. As if we sign him on a loan it'll most likely be on deadline day. But he is recovering from injury has barely played since he left Boro be so rusty yet as soon as he gets half decent he be back at Burnley. What's the point in a deal like this I know emotionally Steve will wanna try rebuild his nephew career but it's spending unnecessarily. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

What's the point in a deal like this I know emotionally Steve will wanna try rebuild his nephew career but it's spending unnecessarily. 

I'm sure someone in the past on this board intimated that there was some friction between Ben's old man and Steve? So I wouldn't be 100% sure that Steve wants to rebuild his Nephew's career.

22 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I'm sure someone in the past on this board intimated that there was some friction between Ben's old man and Steve? So I wouldn't be 100% sure that Steve wants to rebuild his Nephew's career.

In which case, why bother signing him back at all? I'm a big Ben Gibson fan for sure but surely there are more cost effective reinforcements we can make in that position.

I firmly believe based on the last 5 years that it is entirely a Gibson connection meaning we might spend more on him than anyone else. I think if the connection wasn't there then we might have asked but then told Burnley to do one and looked elsewhere entirely.

Worries me a little that we're so keen on Gibson that we're willing to run down the clock before trying to sign a centre-back. If it ends up falling through, we either don't sign one or we sign Martin Cranie again.

• Like 1