oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

6 hours ago, TLF10 said:

I really don't think there is any issue between us and Burnley as far as the two clubs are concerned.

Yes there was rivalry between the fans (and to some extent the players&coaching staff) in the promotion season but we were both going for same prize. But i think as soon as we both went up and whats happened in the 3 seasons after we both became irrelevant to each other.

We sold them Gibson with little fuss. We maintained we wanted £15m for him and i remember Burnley opening offer was £12m but eventually we got deal we wanted.

And now it seems we want Gibson back on loan and Burnlry want best possible deal. Just like we did when we sold them Gibson. Its purely business.

Dyche and Burnley dont care about Boro any less than we do them imo.

I think this is right, I think the only friction is that they paid 15m for him 18 months ago and have barely had any football out of him. Now he wants to come back here and we want him back without having to pay anything. 

Look at it from a Burnley point of view, you would want to tell us where to go, that doesn't mean they hate us but it's going to make their club look really silly. 

From a Burnley perspective I think they'd rather he went somewhere like the Bundasliga (which was the link I believe). That way he's not playing against you in the same league (Premier league loan), he's not dropping down a level as much from a football perspective (coming to us) and you've still got your pride. 

I actually think something like that would be a better move for Ben as well. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

If we're wanting to play a 3 at the back, was Gibson a good fit for that role? I cant recall many games apart from Bournemouth away where we used it? 

Dare I say, we look at a midfield option and keep utilising either McNair or Howson at the centre back slot?

A make shift defence did really well against spurs yesterday. It wasnt like they put out a load of kids. And even though we didnt attack them much, I thought that the defenders actually defended very well. 

Maybe till the summer it will make do as I dont want it to drag out with Gibson only for it to turn out that he tarnished his legacy. 

32 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

If we're wanting to play a 3 at the back, was Gibson a good fit for that role? I cant recall many games apart from Bournemouth away where we used it? 

Dare I say, we look at a midfield option and keep utilising either McNair or Howson at the centre back slot?

A make shift defence did really well against spurs yesterday. It wasnt like they put out a load of kids. And even though we didnt attack them much, I thought that the defenders actually defended very well. 

Maybe till the summer it will make do as I dont want it to drag out with Gibson only for it to turn out that he tarnished his legacy. 

He’s left footed, which we desperately need at back, allowing Fry to move across. He can also cover left back.

1 minute ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Deal Done.... medical in next 24hrs.. West Ham.

Thanks. At least we can move forward now with some financial wriggleroom.

• Like 1

I take it most people aren't up in arms about Randolph going, he's probably our most saleable asset with a year and a bit left on his contract. Pears has stepped up well in the mean time.

5 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I take it most people aren't up in arms about Randolph going, he's probably our most saleable asset with a year and a bit left on his contract. Pears has stepped up well in the mean time.

I think at the end of the day most people are practical. We are supposedly tight to ffp and a randolph sale will ease that a bit. We have performed well with pears in goal which makes randolph moving on slightly less painful.

It's never a good thing to lose your best player, and the best player in the league in his position. It's a shame that it has come to this, but I don't think there is really a posibility of keeping him and improving elsewhere. By all the rumours it sounds like his departure can open up a bunch of deals that we really need. We can't go through the second half of the season with such a weak squad as we currently have. Sadly it's pragmatism over joy but that's the position we are in. I'm sure the club can really do with getting 5+ million in and saving about 1.5 mil. a year in wages. I'm happy to let Pears show whether he can keep up is good form and show that we can count on him next season too. 

46 minutes ago, Borodane said:

It's never a good thing to lose your best player, and the best player in the league in his position. It's a shame that it has come to this, but I don't think there is really a posibility of keeping him and improving elsewhere. By all the rumours it sounds like his departure can open up a bunch of deals that we really need. We can't go through the second half of the season with such a weak squad as we currently have. Sadly it's pragmatism over joy but that's the position we are in. I'm sure the club can really do with getting 5+ million in and saving about 1.5 mil. a year in wages. I'm happy to let Pears show whether he can keep up is good form and show that we can count on him next season too. 

id say from our last 5 games or so, our squad has proved it can compete with any in this league on its day. no major overhaul needed, just a couple of extra player to add depth. we have that already in the two new wingers, just need an extra centre back (hopefully gibson) and an attacking midfielder and a striker if britt is to leave. nothing to drastic though. 

• Like 1