oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Just now, Brunners said:

Come on guys, behave. At the very least, please continue this convo in the appropriate thread 🙂

I'm done, mate, that last post is cracking. I'm now a prejudiced liar who can't handle the truth. I've no desire to continue this conversation any longer because it is utterly pointless to have an opinion, they're not allowed.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

This again? The timeline is totally off for this to be true - randolph was injured for a few weeks and then played for us the week before he played for Ireland - he was already back for us before the international break so why would we be annoyed at him for that? And if there was such an uproar then why did he play for us in that match? It makes zero sense.

It does seem a bit suspect that he was immediately back to being injured again afterwards. He may have played for us in that game before the IB just so it didn't look like he was coming back solely for the national team. I guess we'll never really know.

3 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

You know how many goals he scored, call it pedantic if you like. I call it facts, he doesn't score 15 odd, he never has. 1 more than 15 is more than he has scored at this level.

I guess the real question is why would someone with complete knowledge of the facts, add a vagueness to the facts? We both the know the answer is to exaggerate his goalscoring just a smidgen, to try and justify your prejudices in the face of overwhelming facts. 

If we have paid 3mill he would have been an ok signing, but I think he is still the most expensive CF ever signed by a championship club. By that status he has been a flop. On general ability he is a flop, on basic goals he has been midtable (his golden season being 7th top scorer in a season of low scorers).

He seems a nice enough guy, and I wish him luck, but enough already, he simply isn't good enough.

Yeh people say you can't bring his price into it. But course you can. Everyone brings gestedes wages into it so there's no difference. He has been a flop if you take that into account

• Like 1
Just now, Mfcdanny said:

Yeh people say you can't bring his price into it. But course you can. Everyone brings gestedes wages into it so there's no difference. He has been a flop if you take that into account

But yeh I agree with a few others. *** assombalonga and let's talk more about firture signings 😂

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

FFP is the issue still. Contracts haven't expired yet. 

I get that there are still some earners on the books but Randolph, Britt and Shotton could all apparently be off which surely frees up a decent amount of money we would be spending on the remainder of their contracts for the season, which would mean less of the transfer funds needs to be saved for the wage bill?

3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

This again? The timeline is totally off for this to be true - randolph was injured for a few weeks and then played for us the week before he played for Ireland - he was already back for us before the international break so why would we be annoyed at him for that? And if there was such an uproar then why did he play for us in that match? It makes zero sense.

Exactly. There appears to be an attempt to vilify Randolph when he has been 100% professional and dedicated to Boro. He would not be going anywhere if he was not being forced out the door due to the financial incompetence of the club. He has behaved in an exemplary manor when the vast majority would not have.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

Sorry mate, it's not true. Annual FFP filings must be a 12 month window covering May-April, June-May or July-June. It might take some base data from accounts, but it doesn't follow the same accounting rules.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

No, mate, I think you're reading the old stuff perhaps.  I believe that since 2016/17 the Championship has been using the newer profitability and sustainability rules.  Here's the relevant bit copied and pasted:

2.2 Each Club shall by 1 March in each Season submit to the Executive:

2.2.1 copies of its Annual Accounts for T-1 (and T-2 if these have not previously been submitted to the Executive) together with copies of the directors’ report(s) and auditor’s report(s) on those accounts;

2.2.2 its estimated profit and loss account and balance sheet for T which shall:

(a) be prepared in all material respects in a format similar to the Club’s Annual Accounts; and

(b) be based on the latest information available to the Club and be, to the best of the Club’s knowledge and belief, an accurate estimate as at the time of preparation of future financial performance; and

T is the current time period accounts and T-1 and T-2 are obviously the previous two periods. 

The 12 month windows you mention are about trying to keep everything uniform between clubs so if for example a club as a year end outside of May-July then they have to produce a set of accounts for the 12 month period up until one of those months as if they were a standard set of accounts:

If the accounting reference date falls at any other time, separate accounts for the Club or the Group as appropriate must be prepared for a period of twelve months ending on a date between 31 May and 31 July inclusive, and in such a case “Annual Accounts” means those accounts.

Annual Accounts must be prepared and audited in accordance with all legal and regulatory requirements applicable to accounts prepared pursuant to Section 394 of the 2006 Act.

The FFP rules themselves don't look at everything in the accounts but that is exactly what they use to make the assessment.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm done, mate, that last post is cracking. I'm now a prejudiced liar who can't handle the truth. I've no desire to continue this conversation any longer because it is utterly pointless to have an opinion, they're not allowed.

everyone is allowed an opinion, including me and my opinion that you are talking nonsense.

Back to the thread at hand.

I will be amazed if Britt is still here come 1st Feb. If he is I think he may ride it out for the final 18 months of his contract and leave for free. It would be crippling to the clubs plans to change our style. Best all round for him to move on.  The question is, will a prem side be desperate enough to gamble on him, or will we have to sell to a championship club and subsidise his wages?

Who to replace Britt? Well if we are going down the youth route maybe Marcus Forss at wimbledon

3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Exactly. There appears to be an attempt to vilify Randolph when he has been 100% professional and dedicated to Boro. He would not be going anywhere if he was not being forced out the door due to the financial incompetence of the club. He has behaved in an exemplary manor when the vast majority would not have.

You could perhaps say if he had been declared fit for the 2nd Ireland game before declaring when he'd be fit for us, you can see why someone, not the most insightful person, but someone could get annoyed by that. If it is true that people have flipped in relation to that scenario, I can't say I'd be siding against Randolph. If he was 50/50 and wanted to wait to recover 100% and the club had a problem with that time being whilst he was on international duty and thus went on to question his loyalty, that's quite pathetic.

I know some people at clubs do stupid things when the chips are down but there really doesn't seem to be anything wrong with what he did. You never really know people in football I guess but I find it difficult to believe that Randolph is the kind of person who would intentionally avoid playing for us due to a lack of loyalty.

• Like 1