oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

4 hours ago, chickenlunch said:

£50m and they're building it out of basic house bricks? ....weird. looks ugly to me. Especially compared to how it used to look from what I can tell.

Certainly put my Gaff to shame 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

4 hours ago, OldManGravz said:

We need a CB at the club definitely DS.

Whether Gibbo is what we need at this moment in time or not I don't know, but you can't argue that on his day he is a great defender at this level. I do think getting Ben back is a very Steve Gibson thing to do, especially given that ideally we could rather do with someone who is up to speed.. but I suppose the current CBs (and the CMs who have been playing there) havent been doing a terrible job and could maybe carry on until he had his fitness up a bit.

If he can get back into the swing fast enough then he could be invaluable to us in the run in. He will also be a great influence on the younger academy lads I think, having came through it himself, and he is still only 26, so he could have 6-8 good years left in him.

As for Randolph, I think he is a terrific keeper but sometimes you need to sacrifice one of your stars for the greater good of your team, and I think that's what his sale would be. So I think I would be a bit disappointed to see him stay, but not overly so

At the moment we haven't a fit CB,so I'd take the beast from Madrid on loan

2 hours ago, Will said:

This is just plain wrong. I'm all for everyone having their opinion but this is just wrong 😂

Name a worse player that's starting every game, please. He's been absolutely shocking, you can go back nearly every game and pick out mistakes he's made leading to goals. Awful awful player he brings nothing to the team.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Borodane said:

Thanks Bristol og Tudders. Let's hope it's true and that Shotton leaves at the same time. That would be a brilliant switch in personel. We're starting to implement a more attacking and high pressing approach, so we need a strong defence. Gibson-Ayala-Fry is certainly an envious defence for most teams in this league, although Howson and McNair have performed well.

I'd rather have Howson & McNair in midfield to be honest, as for Gestede I wonder if he can do any hod carrying for SG's new gaff

1 hour ago, Smogzilla said:

Good assessment of Chester. Dont imagine hes a replacement for Ayala. Fulfils a different role

well I'd prefer as a replacement for Shotton since he is alleged to want to return to the midlands

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3733426/West-Brom-defender-James-Chester-set-Middlesbrough-transfer.html

I have so many memories of James Chester it'll be nice to get him 4 years older so long as we don't match his PL wage he'll be on at Villa. Would Chester excel in a back 3 yes, should we take on his wage burden no I'd suggest the reason he chose Villa over us in the Prem in 2016 was the wage offer if we didn't think the wage offer was right with PL money besides him being a 'free' in the next 6 months how can you justify it now.

Long and short he'd improve our defence especially in a back 3 but how the finances would work I just can't see it.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3733426/West-Brom-defender-James-Chester-set-Middlesbrough-transfer.html

I have so many memories of James Chester it'll be nice to get him 4 years older so long as we don't match his PL wage he'll be on at Villa. Would Chester excel in a back 3 yes, should we take on his wage burden no I'd suggest the reason he chose Villa over us in the Prem in 2016 was the wage offer if we didn't think the wage offer was right with PL money besides him being a 'free' in the next 6 months how can you justify it now.

Long and short he'd improve our defence especially in a back 3 but how the finances would work I just can't see it.

Suddenly the finances don't seem to matter for some reason.  Chester is on £30k a week.  We're trying to get rid of anyone with contracts anywhere near that but we can sign him or Gibson or Roberts or whoever.  It must have been Bevington holding us back I guess.

CT it has been hinted at by posters that Ben will take a cut to comeback and get his career back on track, Roberts will have to take a cut if he joined on a perm and you can leave Chester at Villa imo.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Is he well endowed but short

or tall with a little todger??

• Confused 1
16 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Suddenly the finances don't seem to matter for some reason.  Chester is on £30k a week.  We're trying to get rid of anyone with contracts anywhere near that but we can sign him or Gibson or Roberts or whoever.  It must have been Bevington holding us back I guess.

Roberts permanently seems a little like fantasy to me they paid 7 million for him, after a successful spell at Celtic they were quoting Leicester 15 million even somewhere between those 2 numbers is stupidly high for us.

I get Gibson gets brought up every window as well but he was on a bumper contract here then got a joint club record Burnley transfer and everyone just thinks uncle Steve should chip in his wage if it even gets to that point which I'm doubtful about personally. I'd say there's a reason the only concrete interest in Ben over the past 6 months has come from Turkey because historically they pay high wages but not fees.

Chester will be on less wages than Gibson but I'd wager he's on more than any defender we have, at 30 years old handing him a 3 year deal on that kind of wage I mean it's no different than what we've done for 3 years except his fee would be nominal because of his contract situation.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Roberts permanently seems a little like fantasy to me they paid 7 million for him, after a successful spell at Celtic they were quoting Leicester 15 million even somewhere between those 2 numbers is stupidly high for us.

I get Gibson gets brought up every window as well but he was on a bumper contract here then got a joint club record Burnley transfer and everyone just thinks uncle Steve should chip in his wage if it even gets to that point which I'm doubtful about personally. I'd say there's a reason the only concrete interest in Ben over the past 6 months has come from Turkey because historically they pay high wages but not fees.

Chester will be on less wages than Gibson but I'd wager he's on more than any defender we have, at 30 years old handing him a 3 year deal on that kind of wage I mean it's no different than what we've done for 3 years except his fee would be nominal because of his contract situation.

Just playing Devil's advocate here but 30 isnt old for a defender. Handing a 3 year deal to a centre back is much less risky than handing one to a forward of the same age

20 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

CT it has been hinted at by posters that Ben will take a cut to comeback and get his career back on track, Roberts will have to take a cut if he joined on a perm and you can leave Chester at Villa imo.

Then I guess we'll be blessed if these players are happy to take pay cuts just to come here.  It's a weird turn of events after having to overpay every bugger up until now.