oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

I literally couldn't think of a worse signing if I was a Stoke fan. I've loved George for us but his best days are well behind him and he's had a lot of injuries. 

The story doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

It makes me wonder if someone's wires got crossed. Someone says Stoke after an injured Boro defender and someone else suggests Friend rather than Shotton. I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Stoke wanted to buy Friend. The lad might not play again this season and another team wants to buy him? Makes no sense.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

I think the most important thing with transfers is the wage burden we take on. Wages are all dead money, at least with a transfer fee we should be able to make most of it back.

40 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

on footballs moved more these days. to right they do. they get smacked all over compared to the old mitres when i was a kid. watch old games, the balls coming in are not nearly as hard for keeper to take as these days.

True, I played in the late 80s, 90s and 00s at a decent level. I remember in around 2004 our team getting the new premier league balls which were really expensive and they were completely different because they moved so much quicker through the air. 

I usually took free kicks if the distance was somewhere around the edge of the box, anything further out than about 25 yards and I couldnt get enough power/ pace on the ball to trouble a keeper. However I remember testing these new balls out and I was hitting them like a rocket from 30 yards out, they weren't always accurate but the ability to make the ball fly quicker and having it dip mid flight changed completely. 

I watch the speed the ball moves at nowadays and I'm not surprised that keepers can't always hold the ball. It's a completely different ball to what Aynsley Pears' Dad faced.  

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It makes me wonder if someone's wires got crossed. Someone says Stoke after an injured Boro defender and someone else suggests Friend rather than Shotton. I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Stoke wanted to buy Friend. The lad might not play again this season and another team wants to buy him? Makes no sense.

Yeah it makes no sense at all. 

22 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

He's back in light training apparently along with Shotts but yeah still baffling, surely just lazy journalism?

43 minutes ago, Duvel said:

True, I played in the late 80s, 90s and 00s at a decent level. I remember in around 2004 our team getting the new premier league balls which were really expensive and they were completely different because they moved so much quicker through the air. 

I usually took free kicks if the distance was somewhere around the edge of the box, anything further out than about 25 yards and I couldnt get enough power/ pace on the ball to trouble a keeper. However I remember testing these new balls out and I was hitting them like a rocket from 30 yards out, they weren't always accurate but the ability to make the ball fly quicker and having it dip mid flight changed completely. 

I watch the speed the ball moves at nowadays and I'm not surprised that keepers can't always hold the ball. It's a completely different ball to what Aynsley Pears' Dad faced.  

When I moved to senior school I was selected to play and wanted to impress. It was raining heavily and the pitch cut up so badly with puddles forming everywhere. Young and proud to wear the shirt I ran around like a rabid dog chasing everything, until knocked out by lead weighted toe ended leather casy that left lace marks on my forehead for a week. 

• Haha 5

We’re linked with a loan move for Reece Oxford according to Football Insider. Currently plays for Augsburg in Germany but has only featured 8 times. VVV Venlo apparently want him on loan too.

not sure what happened to him but he was tipped for big things. I’d be happy with this, hopwfully he can rediscover his form. A good ball playing centre half, quick and athletic.

8 minutes ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

We’re linked with a loan move for Reece Oxford according to Football Insider. Currently plays for Augsburg in Germany but has only featured 8 times. VVV Venlo apparently want him on loan too.

not sure what happened to him but he was tipped for big things. I’d be happy with this, hopwfully he can rediscover his form. A good ball playing centre half, quick and athletic.

I swear reece oxford was mentioned here a few days ago. Wouldn’t surprise me if they swiped it straight from here

11 minutes ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

He's 6 months into his 4 year contract at Augsburg. I think its strange that they have signed him, after having him on loan and then plan on loaning him out. 

1 minute ago, BoroJake said:

I swear reece oxford was mentioned here a few days ago. Wouldn’t surprise me if they swiped it straight from here

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-middlesbrough-set-sights-on-signing-west-ham-academy-product/

Seems legit they have it sourced Boro side they also say we've watched him for a while and thought about buying him from West Ham last summer. I'd trust Oxford in a 3 man defence as the ball player and if it's between us and VVV Venlo I like our chances.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-middlesbrough-set-sights-on-signing-west-ham-academy-product/

Seems legit they have it sourced Boro side they also say we've watched him for a while and thought about buying him from West Ham last summer. I'd trust Oxford in a 3 man defence as the ball player and if it's between us and VVV Venlo I like our chances.

I mentioned him when it appeared that VVV Venlo was looking to bring him to Holland. Seem to remember we were also linked in the summer before he moved. He only cost Augsburg about 1,5 million pounds so I'd be fairly happy with a loan including a purchase option. Can't imagine they'd want a big profit if they are already ready to loan him out.

12 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Could even be part of the Randolph deal having them give us first option on him, whether by means of a loan or permanent signing this month or in the summer.

We could do with an experienced defender but if it's a choice between trudging along trying to scrape together the pennies for Gibson or what I would suspect would be a significantly cheaper option with Oxford, I'd prefer the latter right now.