oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Just now, mj south said:

But we knew there contract were running down before this season started and talks with these players regarding contracts should have been held pre season and those who wouldn't sign new deals should have been moved on in the summer, ok I agree moving on Shotton, Gestede and Johnson was tried but Clayton, Howson and in particular Ayala would of still commanded half decent fees

You make it sound too easy 😋 I genuinly doubt Ayala, Clayton and Howson had any decent interest that would promt us to sell. Clayton I think we'd have sold fairly cheaply. I think the players haven't been willing to just sign the first reduced contract we offered and probably wants to see how things developed and whether any teams would show interest. We can't force them to sign lesser contracts and we can't make other teams buy them. The offers would have to make sense too. It would probably be better to just let Ayalas contract run down than sell him for less than a million last summer.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I thnnk you are overthinking it a bit. It doesn't sound like we want to sell Fry to finance a deal for Gibson. However we will accept a bid for Fry if it's above our valuation. If some desperate PL club swoops in and offers, say, 15 million we'd be mad not to accept as there is no way he is worth that much. Fry has yet to reach the levels Gibson showed while with us, so a match fit Gibson is better than Fry's current level. I really don't want to lose Fry as I think he has a great future with us. I want them both and it sounds doable. Defering the last 4.3 million payments from Burnley isn't the best, but a total deal for 6 million for Gibson sounds almost unbelievable and if he falls in line with the current wage structure we should be all over that. At 26 he has at least 7 good years in him and might even make himself attractive to another big move if we aren't promoted.

Fry for 15 million is probably the right price no disputing that. But ending up essentially paying 6-8 million for Gibson, wages aside, I have a problem with he'd do a decent job on the pitch no doubt but at a time where we are reigning in spending (rightly in my opinion) I don't see why we need a 6-8 million pound player especially at CB right now we aren't rounding up the promotion band and moving for Bolasies/Ritchies anymore I just put a Gibson move in that bracket to be honest the impact on the team minimal, relative cost high and feels like we'd be back to square 1 I'd rather see us bank the cash for a couple of years at most spend 3 million on 1 player if he's key.

If we didn't give a f about finances as fans getting Gibson back would be universally welcomed the problem is I've been told to care repeatedly over the years and I hated paying 7 million for Flint, hated the 6 million pound Joe Bryan bids as well paying that money for defenders in this league is just burning money in my opinion. I want prudence from us financially that's all, we preach it as a club sometimes then seem to lose our minds whether it's trying for Besic last year for 6 million or Gibson now I'm very sceptical as a club we should be paying those kind of fees whilst we're in this division that's a main part of my problem even if it's technically a 'write off' we're losing a guaranteed 7 figure income off the books to bring him and whatever wage he's on back it seems out of whack with our priorities to me.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Fry for 15 million is probably the right price no disputing that. But ending up essentially paying 6-8 million for Gibson, wages aside, I have a problem with he'd do a decent job on the pitch no doubt but at a time where we are reigning in spending (rightly in my opinion) I don't see why we need a 6-8 million pound player especially at CB right now we aren't rounding up the promotion band and moving for Bolasies/Ritchies anymore I just put a Gibson move in that bracket to be honest the impact on the team minimal, relative cost high and feels like we'd be back to square 1 I'd rather see us bank the cash for a couple of years at most spend 3 million on 1 player if he's key.

If we didn't give a f about finances as fans getting Gibson back would be universally welcomed the problem is I've been told to care repeatedly over the years and I hated paying 7 million for Flint, hated the 6 million pound Joe Bryan bids as well paying that money for defenders in this league is just burning money in my opinion. I want prudence from us financially that's all, we preach it as a club sometimes then seem to lose our minds whether it's trying for Besic last year for 6 million or Gibson now I'm very sceptical as a club we should be paying those kind of fees whilst we're in this division that's a main part of my problem even if it's technically a 'write off' we're losing a guaranteed 7 figure income off the books to bring him and whatever wage he's on back it seems out of whack with our priorities to me.

I get what you're saying, bud, but the club clearly knows the ins and outs of our finances better than we do and if they think we can afford to write off the debt and pay the 1.7m then I am all for it. 

The one thing I would be disappointed in is if we broke the new wage structure for him, sets a dangerous precedent. If you're willing to break it for one person then other people will start asking for it. So we would need to be steadfast on that I feel

7 hours ago, Changing Times said:

He hasn't had any success though, that's sort of my point.  He had a brilliant debut and then didn't really do much of anything for the next four years.  West Ham weren't taking him on, they already had him and were happy to let him go for a couple of million.  By the sounds of it they weren't exactly sorry to see him go.  It's possible that was down to the manager just not rating him but now the same thing is happening at Augsburg possibly.  They can't have signed him expecting him to be a superstar because he clearly isn't that and wasn't that when he was on loan there last season.  If their intention is to keep him in the long term and just loan him out for the rest of this season say then I'd probably wonder what the point is in us going for him.  If they are looking to loan him and move him on permanently then you'd have to ask why that is after such a short period of time.  It might be that he's on decent money over there although that would again make me question why we'd be after him.   

You're right that not being ready for the Bundesliga isn't the be all and end all but it feels like an odd thing for a Bundesliga club to say a few months after signing him, don't you think?  Especially when they had him on loan beforehand - they had to have an idea of where he was at in his development.  The way I would look at it is to forget who he is, forget his debut, which is just one game anyway, look at the rest of what he's done and take it from there.  I would almost view the signing, if we make it, in the same vein as the Browne signing, a bit of a punt basically.

I would hope that, if we are signing him, we would have scouted him extensively, weighed out his pros and cons and decided that there is a player there whose strengths we can utilise while we work on the rest of his abilities......

A player undervalued by everyone else because he isn't as proficient in all aspects of his job.....

It's almost like, after 5/6 years of this "moneyball" strategy the Gazette has been saying we are implementing, someone has finally picked up the *** book and learnt what it is about. Or at least watched the excellent Brad Pitt movie

The issue with Qxford is not the cost, loan, buy out right or what. It's all to do with the impact he can make to the team. We need a centre back this week that can influence how we play and set up the squad. If Oxford does not have these qualities he is no good to us in the short term. Yes as a longer term project OK, but we need a player now. That would push me reluctantly to Gibson. if the gossip is true that he has been working out at Rockcliffe all the better. The money issues around Gibson are my main concern. 

5 minutes ago, Gilling Red said:

The issue with Qxford is not the cost, loan, buy out right or what. It's all to do with the impact he can make to the team. We need a centre back this week that can influence how we play and set up the squad. If Oxford does not have these qualities he is no good to us in the short term. Yes as a longer term project OK, but we need a player now. That would push me reluctantly to Gibson. if the gossip is true that he has been working out at Rockcliffe all the better. The money issues around Gibson are my main concern. 

Bring him in on loan, option to buy if it works out, bring Gibson back as a starter so we have the cover to let Woods out on loan.

I really don’t have a preference to who comes in but it’s obvious we need numbers and players into positions they fit. I fully support giving the younger academy players support and opportunity to prove themselves because I believe we should aim for a mobile youthful squad with pace. If we can get energetic players with energy to move as units then we can press higher up the field and still have pace at the back. The fact the game is turning into a non contact sport suggests mobility and pace are paramount. 
We also need players who can hit a high percentage on target, which should be a prerequisite but we seem to struggle with. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Surely that would only happen if we were to offload Gestede. Or maybe Britt (though I'd much rathe have Britt than Gregory). But it would allow us to save some cash for summer. I'd happily offload Gestede and replace him with Gregory though if it meant saving some money.

I wonder if Villa will become desperate enough to meet our demands for Britt if they are indeed interested, They are signing Samatta but apparently also want Giroud but it looks like they could miss out on him to Inter.