oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

33 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/brandon-barker-jordan-jones-set-21372808

Sounds like wherever Jones goes in the next few days it will be a loan to buy or outright sale for what I'd imagine would be 6 figures maybe 800kish given our rumoured interest in him he fits the bill of us wanting longer term squad additions and that Record report signalling Gerrard's decision on Jones is that he wants to offload him might intensify the speculation in the next couple of days.

I'm not against Jones he was a very talented player in our academy and I think he offers something different than what we have on the left.

Can see this happening, relatively cheap deal, offers something different and like someone said will have to back Woodgat to sort any off field stuff out.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Apparently he is after wages between 18k and 20k which is putting a lot of teams off

Alright Marcus. Good luck getting anywhere near that lol. If that's true no wonder he's never moved anywhere.

30 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

The Kilmarnock form Jordan Jones cutting in from the left is the type of player everyone says they want a direct tricky winger who runs at defenders and fires shots and balls into dangerous areas. The problem I think Jones will have coming back is whether returning to his home environment and old friends would actually hinder him off the field which is why he was cut loose in the first place. I'm pretty sure either way Woodgate has known him for years he was the golden boy of the academy back end of Mowbray he's a known commodity for alot of MFC you'd think, if the stories of our interest are true you back Woodgate to know what he's dealing with in my opinion.

Thanks for the lowdown, I remember the name from when he was here last but I still really know what type of player he was. It still concerns me that he's not deemed good enough to get a game for Rangers. 

I remember when we were buying the best players from Scotland and not many of them set the world alight down here.  

17 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Alright Marcus. Good luck getting anywhere near that lol. If that's true no wonder he's never moved anywhere.

That ain't bad for a year...I'd take 18-20k a year

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Apparently he is after wages between 18k and 20k which is putting a lot of teams off

maybe asking for 18-20 from other clubs as he doesnt want to go there. will sign for boro for 10k....

maybe... but probably not 😄

• Like 1

Three hundred pages into this thread, and we really haven't got very far, have we? One goalkeeper in and one out, two Man City starlets signed on loan, and a couple of underwhelming recent signings sent out on loan.

I do appreciate people are working behind the scenes to get things done, but they don't appear to have done much so far. There are three days left til the transfer window shuts, and we have one fit CB - and even he's an inexperienced teenager. We haven't managed to ship out any of the dead wood, our injury list is almost as long as our list of fit outfield players, our wage bill hasn't dropped very much, and there are no suggestions of imminent incomings.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Three hundred pages into this thread, and we really haven't got very far, have we? One goalkeeper in and one out, two Man City starlets signed on loan, and a couple of underwhelming recent signings sent out on loan.

I do appreciate people are working behind the scenes to get things done, but they don't appear to have done much so far. There are three days left til the transfer window shuts, and we have one fit CB - and even he's an inexperienced teenager. We haven't managed to ship out any of the dead wood, our injury list is almost as long as our list of fit outfield players, our wage bill hasn't dropped very much, and there are no suggestions of imminent incomings.

Tbf it's hardly been a transfer bonanza in the Championship. I'd hazard a guess and say we've been amongst the most active teams in the league. How do you propose we shift out the deadwood? (I guess you mean Shotton and Gestede and maybe Clayton)

Jack Simpson won't be leaving Bournemouth on loan now, according to the Gazette. Played last night in the FA Cup game against Arsenal and Howe doesn't want to be left short. There's one down.

1 hour ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Yeah for an unproven player at this level, I wouldn't touch him with those demands

Exactly why we have stayed well away especially after Gary Mills recommendation as well. Attitude seems to be very problematic wherever he goes - which is exactly why Peterborough manager is refusing to play him now.

23 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Tbf it's hardly been a transfer bonanza in the Championship. I'd hazard a guess and say we've been amongst the most active teams in the league. How do you propose we shift out the deadwood? (I guess you mean Shotton and Gestede and maybe Clayton)

You're right it's been a quiet transfer window generally. But in terms of club-by-club activity, Cardiff, Fulham, Huddersfield, Leeds, Derby and Forest have done more than us, and several other clubs have also seen one in and one out. I would also suggest our need to sell and then buy more cheaply is greater than many other clubs, since we effectively have no fit CBs and are also apparently in danger of breaching FFP unless we take immedidate action.

By all accounts, Shotton has already bought a house in the Midlands in readiness for moving, and yet he's still here. I haven't really heard any substantive rumours about any other players being linked with a departure, despite the constant inferences our wage bill is too high for FFP and we've got to sell before we can buy. I don't think anyone would be too sorry to see one or two of our PL-era high earners go (including the club's management), yet there's seemingly no impetus to make progress.

I know many people have written this season off, and I agree we're unlikely to go up or down considering we're 11 points off both 6th and 22nd. But this window is the ideal time to start preparing for next season, which feels like a decisive one for both Woody and our new policy of youth (before we do a 180 and throw buckets of post-FFP cash at signings again). If we don't get much done this window, we'll lose a number of senior players in the summer with no idea who'll replace them, which reduces the time we've got to get our squad ready for the all-important 2020-21 season.

How do we shift out the deadwood? I don't know, because I don't know a huge amount about the behind-the-scenes machinations. Promote them, I guess. Get their agents active. Extol player virtues to potential buying clubs. That might be happening, but there's a suspicious lack of noise from anywhere, and in the social media age, even discreet conversations about player availability or an interest in leaving a club tend to have a habit of leaching into public discourse.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RiseAgainst said:

You're right it's been a quiet transfer window generally. But in terms of club-by-club activity, Cardiff, Fulham, Huddersfield, Leeds, Derby and Forest have done more than us, and several other clubs have also seen one in and one out. I would also suggest our need to sell and then buy more cheaply is greater than many other clubs, since we effectively have no fit CBs and are also apparently in danger of breaching FFP unless we take immedidate action.

By all accounts, Shotton has already bought a house in the Midlands in readiness for moving, and yet he's still here. I haven't really heard any substantive rumours about any other players being linked with a departure, despite the constant inferences our wage bill is too high for FFP and we've got to sell before we can buy. I don't think anyone would be too sorry to see one or two of our PL-era high earners go (including the club's management), yet there's seemingly no impetus to make progress.

I know many people have written this season off, and I agree we're unlikely to go up or down considering we're 11 points off both 6th and 22nd. But this window is the ideal time to start preparing for next season, which feels like a decisive one for both Woody and our new policy of youth (before we do a 180 and throw buckets of post-FFP cash at signings again). If we don't get much done this window, we'll lose a number of senior players in the summer with no idea who'll replace them, which reduces the time we've got to get our squad ready for the all-important 2020-21 season.

I completely agree there doesn't seem to be much drive at the club to try build a side ready  for a promotion next season. As if we got them in now they have 6 months too get use too club etc then be ready to fire on all cylinders opening day.  But we are just getting in loans that work too ways they play very well so won't be here next season or play badly and we won't want them anyway.

34 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

What are your expectations? Because we are genuinely a CB away from having one of our better transfer windows for a long time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I don't think anyone would be too sorry to see one or two of our PL-era high earners go (including the club's management), yet there's seemingly no impetus to make progress.

Do you think it's as easy as calling a club saying "here, have a Gestede and while we're at it take Shotton too". There has to be a demand for a player in order for us to offload them. While we're stuck with them we can't really move forward because of the finances. 

Lot's of people always blame the club for failing to get rid of unwanted players as if the mentioned scenario is a real possibility. Ofloading a high earning non performer is probably almost impossible unless you're willing to pay their wages while they play elsewhere.

• Like 2