oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

52 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Three hundred pages into this thread, and we really haven't got very far, have we? One goalkeeper in and one out, two Man City starlets signed on loan, and a couple of underwhelming recent signings sent out on loan.

I do appreciate people are working behind the scenes to get things done, but they don't appear to have done much so far. There are three days left til the transfer window shuts, and we have one fit CB - and even he's an inexperienced teenager. We haven't managed to ship out any of the dead wood, our injury list is almost as long as our list of fit outfield players, our wage bill hasn't dropped very much, and there are no suggestions of imminent incomings.

I like you dude, but maybe calm down on the pants wetting? We can't bring in any players unless other players leave, just like the vast majority of the other sides in the Championship.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

It seems to me that most clubs are now bothered about ffp and only committing to deals they know they can afford. It is probably a time of transition in the championship and the clubs are now dictating salary rather than pandering to agents and players. If deals happen it's because clubs can afford to do them. 

As for us, a CB and Left forward added this week would be an excellent window. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Three hundred pages into this thread, and we really haven't got very far, have we? One goalkeeper in and one out, two Man City starlets signed on loan, and a couple of underwhelming recent signings sent out on loan.

I do appreciate people are working behind the scenes to get things done, but they don't appear to have done much so far. There are three days left til the transfer window shuts, and we have one fit CB - and even he's an inexperienced teenager. We haven't managed to ship out any of the dead wood, our injury list is almost as long as our list of fit outfield players, our wage bill hasn't dropped very much, and there are no suggestions of imminent incomings.

Because no one else wants Deadwood either. We're stuck until their contracts expire.

• Like 2

Whatever you think of our deadwood it could have been worse I mean look at Stoke they have 30+ million pounds of players out on loan and no sign of people actually paying permanent fees for them.

We could be in a worse position when you think of the Vokes type we were linked with wanting under Pulis he looks shot, even looking back to the PL summer our no.1 midfield target before De Roon was Lukas Rupp for 8 million he joined Norwich this month for 500k!

Only player I'm left worrying about us shifting from the books is Britt unless he hits a hot streak before the summer shifting him for what we'd consider a reasonable price in the summer seems like a very difficult protracted effort but he has to go.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Whatever you think of our deadwood it could have been worse I mean look at Stoke they have 30+ million pounds of players out on loan and no sign of people actually paying permanent fees for them.

We could be in a worse position when you think of the Vokes type we were linked with wanting under Pulis he looks shot, even looking back to the PL summer our no.1 midfield target before De Roon was Lukas Rupp for 8 million he joined Norwich this month for 500k!

Only player I'm left worrying about us shifting from the books is Britt unless he hits a hot streak before the summer shifting him for what we'd consider a reasonable price in the summer seems like a very difficult protracted effort but he has to go.

Yep agreed. I mean, it's obviously not ideal to have about 50k a week not contributing in Gestede and Shotton but considering the enormous turmoil we've experienced in recent years it could be much worse. If we can't extend with Britt we need to sell him in the summer and I can see us having to accept a deal less than 5 mil.

As you say Stoke look in horrible shape, and they will be lucky that they still have year with parachute money next season but they will drastically have to cut back and get rid of some serious deadwood.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Do you think it's as easy as calling a club saying "here, have a Gestede and while we're at it take Shotton too". There has to be a demand for a player in order for us to offload them. While we're stuck with them we can't really move forward because of the finances. 

Lot's of people always blame the club for failing to get rid of unwanted players as if the mentioned scenario is a real possibility. Ofloading a high earning non performer is probably almost impossible unless you're willing to pay their wages while they play elsewhere.

Indeed, by all means berate the club for signing these lot in the first place, Gestede and Shotton haven't improved our team and are on wages they'll be lucky to earn ever elsewhere. It's our fault we can't get rid of them but indeed, that makes getting rid of them more difficult and we'd do well to shift any of them. You essentially need the player to negotiate their own exit for the good of their career the way Guedioura did but I don't really blame players for not doing that.

8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Indeed, by all means berate the club for signing these lot in the first place, Gestede and Shotton haven't improved our team and are on wages they'll be lucky to earn ever elsewhere. It's our fault we can't get rid of them but indeed, that makes getting rid of them more difficult and we'd do well to shift any of them. You essentially need the player to negotiate their own exit for the good of their career the way Guedioura did but I don't really blame players for not doing that.

They are taking a risk though, aren’t they? I mean both are injury prone and if they wait to the summer, another bad injury in the meantime, say a cruciate, and bang goes their chances of getting any contract in the summer. Trying to negotiate a long term contract now and maybe try to get Boro to pay part of the wage reduction over the rest of the season is logical in that sense. Of course with Shotton, the fact that he is not match fit yet after his injury could be a sticking point. Also, if he is determined to go back to the midlands, that limits his options.

1 hour ago, DurhamRed said:

I completely agree there doesn't seem to be much drive at the club to try build a side ready  for a promotion next season. As if we got them in now they have 6 months too get use too club etc then be ready to fire on all cylinders opening day.  But we are just getting in loans that work too ways they play very well so won't be here next season or play badly and we won't want them anyway.

We have to cut before we can build. It was exactly the same under Mowbray. 4 or 5 high earners are going in the Summer.

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Do you think it's as easy as calling a club saying "here, have a Gestede and while we're at it take Shotton too". There has to be a demand for a player in order for us to offload them. While we're stuck with them we can't really move forward because of the finances. 

Lot's of people always blame the club for failing to get rid of unwanted players as if the mentioned scenario is a real possibility. Ofloading a high earning non performer is probably almost impossible unless you're willing to pay their wages while they play elsewhere.

Well, it worked on us 😞

12 hours ago, BoroMart said:

We won't be going up this season and we won't be going down. I just hope all these loans have a 12 month extension or automatic buy option, otherwise we are just throwing good money after bad.

Yep, well said 👍

8 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

They are taking a risk though, aren’t they? I mean both are injury prone and if they wait to the summer, another bad injury in the meantime, say a cruciate, and bang goes their chances of getting any contract in the summer. Trying to negotiate a long term contract now and maybe try to get Boro to pay part of the wage reduction over the rest of the season is logical in that sense. Of course with Shotton, the fact that he is not match fit yet after his injury could be a sticking point. Also, if he is determined to go back to the midlands, that limits his options.

I don't think it's that much of a risk. They're not going to get much more out of their career now and either of them could be considering retirement soon anyway. If they don't have their affairs in order by now, they're probably gonna struggle post-playing days anyway. We're their last big pay-day, one way or another and they're not gonna lose that unless they get sacked.

46 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

What's with the sudden need for people to put Shotton in the same bracket as Gestede? He's not the highest earner and has been a decent pro for us

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

What's with the sudden need for people to put Shotton in the same bracket as Gestede? He's not the highest earner and has been a decent pro for us

I'm not trying to put him in the same bracket. It's just that he hasn't got a future and we seemingly want rid so we can get someone in with a bit more future at the club. I haven't been unhappy with his professionalism here and he has certainly contributed more than Gestede, but I just don't think Shotton is particularly good and could easily be replaced by a cheaper player with more of a future.

12 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Because he doesn't offer what we're paying out for him, exactly the same as Gestede. Why the suggestion that Gestede isn't a good professional? Barring one thing in the FA Cup, he has been absolutely spot on. He's had plenty of injuries and has worked his way back into the team every time he's had them. I have absolutely no problems with Gestede as a pro.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Because he doesn't offer what we're paying out for him, exactly the same as Gestede. Why the suggestion that Gestede isn't a good professional? Barring one thing in the FA Cup, he has been absolutely spot on. He's had plenty of injuries and has worked his way back into the team every time he's had them. I have absolutely no problems with Gestede as a pro.

I didn't say Gestede wasn't a good professional, I just said Shotton was. Gestede's move just clearly hasn't worked out here where as Shotton has actually done well.

He is only really being mentioned as a potential transfer due to him wanting to move back to the midlands, for me it's a completely different situation

• Like 1