oneBoro Forum

January transfer window 19/20 season Post Mortem

Every club has deadwood, ask any fan of any Championship club and they'll give you a list of players they'd want to see shifted, it's just the nature of things. Shotton may yet have a role to play in our season if he can stay fit.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I just needed to see kids as off to London tomorrow until saturday.   Randolph - West Ham tried to renegotiate with us and wanted a loa  as they couldn't be sure with injury... woody s

@Lurker, @diggerlad07 @Smoggydownsouth and all the other ITK posters. Thank you for all the ITK info you guys share. Think i speak for everyone when i say it is much appreciated. Without it the l

Roberts is done. As someone has said, Ayala is on £25k a week. Don’t know what he’s been offered but I can’t believe it would be £5k. Randolph is gone, assume it’s West Ham.    5 more

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I'm not trying to put him in the same bracket. It's just that he hasn't got a future and we seemingly want rid so we can get someone in with a bit more future at the club. I haven't been unhappy with his professionalism here and he has certainly contributed more than Gestede, but I just don't think Shotton is particularly good and could easily be replaced by a cheaper player with more of a future.

He only hasn't got a future because of wanting to get away, if he was fit he would be in the side

5 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

He only hasn't got a future because of wanting to get away, if he was fit he would be in the side

Well that's not true, we're not trying to sign him onto a new contract, same as with Gestede. He's not in the Howson/Ayala bracket, he hasn't got a future beyond his contract. Sure he'd be in the team, just as Gestede has been in and out of it in the last couple of weeks. Neither of them have a future here and both would be gone were we able to sell. Pretty sure Shotton wasn't only nearly signing for Wigan in the summer just because he himself wants to get away.

3 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I like you dude, but maybe calm down on the pants wetting? We can't bring in any players unless other players leave, just like the vast majority of the other sides in the Championship.

I've long since delegated wet-pants duty to my two year-old! I do believe this window will go down as a missed opportunity if we don't make more progress, but it won't change the rest of this season - it'll just make things harder at the start of next season.

I agree with other posters that we need to sell before we buy, but I'm starting to doubt whether the club has done enough to facilitate outgoing transfers. As someone else said, we've been happy to pay high prices for players of questionable pedigree in the past, so I'm sure other clubs would willingly do the same if we'd really tried to shift players with no long-term future here - especially those clubs flush with parachute payments or the proceeds of over-inflated stadium buybacks.

1 hour ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I didn't say Gestede wasn't a good professional, I just said Shotton was. Gestede's move just clearly hasn't worked out here where as Shotton has actually done well.

He is only really being mentioned as a potential transfer due to him wanting to move back to the midlands, for me it's a completely different situation

We tried to sell him last summer though.  He might be in the side by default because of our defensive situation.  I wouldn't personally select him in our best XI however.  I don't think he's been a particularly good signing, his performances haven't been all that good and he's on decent money 🤓

2 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I agree with other posters that we need to sell before we buy, but I'm starting to doubt whether the club has done enough to facilitate outgoing transfers. As someone else said, we've been happy to pay high prices for players of questionable pedigree in the past, so I'm sure other clubs would willingly do the same if we'd really tried to shift players with no long-term future here - especially those clubs flush with parachute payments or the proceeds of over-inflated stadium buybacks.

Don't take this as a dig. But their has to be an actual level of interest in those players from other clubs, plus you then have to have the feasibility of any potential transfer factored in.

Use Gestede as an example; he is 31, allegedly he is on £30k per week, has a poor injury record and hasn't exactly pulled up any trees in the Championship with us (Ignoring his efforts with Blackburn 5 years ago). He also has a contract that runs out this summer and we are not looking to renew.

What clubs in our division would actually want to sign him? Then factor in the 2nd question of who could afford him?
Then as a 3rd question, if as a club you wanted him, but couldn't afford him, why not just wait until the summer and sign him on a free?

• Like 1

The window so far imo has been relatively successful.

Shifted a high earner of wage bill, got a good fee for him and got a replacement for a quarter of that fee.

Bought 2 players for the attacking 3rd of the pitch we needed who on early signs will make a significant contribution.

Get even 1 CB in and i think all things considered it will have been a good window.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Don't take this as a dig. But their has to be an actual level of interest in those players from other clubs, plus you then have to have the feasibility of any potential transfer factored in.

Use Gestede as an example; he is 31, allegedly he is on £30k per week, has a poor injury record and hasn't exactly pulled up any trees in the Championship with us (Ignoring his efforts with Blackburn 5 years ago). He also has a contract that runs out this summer and we are not looking to renew.

What clubs in our division would actually want to sign him? Then factor in the 2nd question of who could afford him?
Then as a 3rd question, if as a club you wanted him, but couldn't afford him, why not just wait until the summer and sign him on a free?

Totally agree about the interest having to be there, and Gestede is one player where there probably isn't any interest. In terms of your first question, I was thinking more of players like Clayton (who I'd be sorry to see leave us, even though he's probably on higher wages than his recent contributions have justified). I'm sure lots of Championship teams would be interested in signing him, and the same with Saville, Johnson et al.

Second question - as I've said, lots of clubs have money to spend in this window. Again, I agree they probably wouldn't want an injury-prone striker who's scored two goals in as many years, but the likes of Saville would have more appeal to clubs around our level.

As for your third question - we've just signed a goalkeeper who only had six months left on his contract, but we didn't want to wait til the summer and sign him on a free. It happens, for a variety of reasons.

2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Shifted a high earner of wage bill, got a good fee for him and got a replacement for a quarter of that fee.

Bought 2 players for the attacking 3rd of the pitch we needed who on early signs will make a significant contribution.

Get even 1 CB in and i think all things considered it will have been a good window.

They're only loans til the end of this season, which is probably a dead rubber now. All we've done so far in terms of permanent signings is swap one goalkeeper for another.

25 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Getting a bit nervous about it all now.

I'd be fairly happy if we managed to sign just one CB on loan, but not sure if we're going to manage even that right now.

I wouldn't worry, we are probably looking at a finish of somewhere between about 10th and 18th. I'm sure we'll have enough points and good players to stay away from the bottom 3. 

For me it's going to be a season of midtable mediocrity regardless of who we sign. To be honest I'd rather be looking at developing the players we have. Unless we are loaning players with a view to extending the loan beyond the end of the season or signing them permanently. 

Loans until May are pretty pointless in my opinion. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I agree with this, our best January window since 2016.

Just can't get behind the idea of giving up on making a better side because we will probably finish mid-table. That was the likelihood at the start of the season too. Might as well not bother playing at all.

• Like 5